Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Raine's Garage Guides: Wheel Studs / Spacers How-To

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-06, 10:28 PM
Streamline
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the writeup!
Old 09-16-08, 09:27 PM
S14eva1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this thread is old.....

but will this same method of replacing wheel studs work on the rear hubs?
Old 09-19-08, 10:05 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 080903k
此外,2007年河南省文、理科高考综合成绩第一到三名者可享受南航往返免票一张,第四至第十名的新生可享受二五折特价机票。南航还评选今年全省品学兼优的特困生10名,为其提供往返免票。有关免票和特价机票凭各省市教育厅(局)、民政局提供的相关证明获取,仅限本人使用。   对于在校的学生和教师,可以继续享受“南航行——真情关爱”产品的优惠。教师凭正规“教师资格证”原件,提前10天订机票,可享受五五折优惠;提前5天购买,可享受六折优惠。年满18周岁的学生凭“学生证”原件,未满18周岁的凭国内正规全日制院校颁发的“学生证”或户口簿、身份证及学校证明原件提前10天购买订机票,可享受四五折优惠;提前5天购买,可享受五折优惠。机票查询
holy kanji! konnichiwa! can you at least try to write in Romaji so we can understand? domo!
Old 09-20-08, 11:07 AM
S14eva1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nobleblack
^ I was just wondering that too, try it. Oh and nice write up to the OP.
I went ahead and did it yesterday.....you have very limited space because the ebrake shoes are behind the hub.

I was able to squeeze each stud around the lower left corner of the ebrake assembly.Just have to do one at a time then rotated the hub to insert each stud.

btw:I had trouble taking off the caliper bracket bolts....be very carefull not to hurt yourself,you really have to muscle those bolts to crack them loose.Air tools will make it much easier
Old 09-20-08, 01:05 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

old news and trick but great write up for people that dont know them.

on out cars the easiest way to put the stud back in is to insert it and then use an open ended lug nut, or stock one, to pull the stud into the hub.

the rear is done easiest when you remove the ebrake assembly. its pointless to try to squeeze them out with the ebrake show assemblies in the way. it takes 5 minutes to take it apart.

i had to do 3 studs on the back wheel about 3 weeks ago. took a total of 30 minutes for the whole job. with the ebrake disassembly and reassembly. on the ground and no air tools.

its a cool website. i like it. the coilover install you described earlier can be simplified a bit too.
Old 06-21-11, 07:47 PM
Mero121
Driver School Candidate

Added this site to my favorites
Old 07-04-11, 08:26 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mero121
Added this site to my favorites
Sorry, not a fan of the use of "free" spacers with extended studs. This adds a second slip plane farther up the stud which vastly increases side loading on the studs which is never good. Also, if you notice in his writeup, the remaining hub lip extends only a very small amount beyond the spacer. THAT is now the resting surface for the wheel or hubcentric spacer as the case may be. Often there is a chamfer at the edge of the bore on the back of the wheel (or hubcentric spacer) to allow truly snug fitment when fully seated on a non-spaced hub. However, in this case, you have a situation where the is very little actual engagement/contact between the hub and the wheel bore. This can lead to a host of problems akin to the same types encountered when not using hubcentric spacers (or properly sized ones) when they are required. It's a very nice writeup and all, but I do not advocate the method displayed.

$.02
Old 07-04-11, 10:35 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go
Sorry, not a fan of the use of "free" spacers with extended studs. This adds a second slip plane farther up the stud which vastly increases side loading on the studs which is never good. Also, if you notice in his writeup, the remaining hub lip extends only a very small amount beyond the spacer. THAT is now the resting surface for the wheel or hubcentric spacer as the case may be. Often there is a chamfer at the edge of the bore on the back of the wheel (or hubcentric spacer) to allow truly snug fitment when fully seated on a non-spaced hub. However, in this case, you have a situation where the is very little actual engagement/contact between the hub and the wheel bore. This can lead to a host of problems akin to the same types encountered when not using hubcentric spacers (or properly sized ones) when they are required. It's a very nice writeup and all, but I do not advocate the method displayed.

$.02
It wasn't a "very small amount" as when I wrote this I could put the wheel on without lug nuts and it wouldn't fall off, even after the spacer was installed. there was enough "actual engagement/contact" between the hub and wheel ring, and if you notice the edge of the wheel ring is tapered, so if there was little contact the wheel would have slid right off.

I do understand your $0.02, but if I'm not mistaken it sounds like your $0.02 is toward the wheel spacer design, not the write-up.
Old 07-04-11, 11:18 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by raine

I do understand your $0.02, but if I'm not mistaken it sounds like your $0.02 is toward the wheel spacer design, not the write-up.
You are correct. If someone chooses to use this type of spacer, your write-up is spot on.
Old 07-18-11, 08:25 AM
maceugood
Pole Position

very nice writeup! thank you.
Old 07-18-11, 09:25 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

no prob sir