Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-06, 07:44 AM
Aterrex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Problems

I took my 06 IS250 in for its 10,000 mile checkup. I was complaining of hearing high pitched screeching sounds form my brakes. Acording to the mechanic the sports brakes on the IS250/350 wear away at the rotors and create this sound.Also the sports breaks withen 10,000 more miles will make me have to replace both pads and rotors. He offered to put on standard breaks but I told him not to. My question is

Can I buy new brakes / rotors such a Brembro or another brand ?

Is this screeching just a fact of life when delaing with sports breaks ?

Does Brembro make pads for the is 250/350 ?

ty

Last edited by Aterrex; 11-25-06 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-25-06, 07:49 AM
Crazy Yoda
Pole Position

Your dealer is full of crap.

Have them show you the pads and the rotors and prove they are in need of replacement. Many people have had this issue and EVERY time the dealer has been full of b.s. They want to charge you money you do not need to spend. If the brakes are defective then they should be under warranty.

You can get aftermarket brakes and pads but you really do not need them.
Old 11-25-06, 08:20 AM
07Txlex
Pole Position

I have 2500 or so miles on my 07 350 and lately when stopping I'm getting a squeeling noise from the front and when almost to a stop it sounds like a metal to metal noise.. Kinda upset, going to the dealer first part of this week, will let everyone know what they say
Old 11-25-06, 08:34 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Yoda
If the brakes are defective then they should be under warranty.
Unless there is an actual defect, e.g., a stuck caliper, that caused accelerated wear of the brakes, pads and rotors are considered a wear item, and coverage of them is specifically disclaimed by the warranty.

This isn't an unreasonable exclusion, as a single day at the track is enough to wear through a set of street pads.

But unless the original poster is a very aggressive driver, I agree with Crazy Yoda that it's unlikely the original pads are worn out. I'd question the dealer about the pad and rotor thicknesses he measured, and compare them to the new and service limits for those parts in the Lexus service manual.
Old 11-25-06, 09:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,071 Likes on 2,468 Posts

If you left foot brake, you can kill a set of brake pads and rotors in very short order. A good friend of mine who was a Honda tech told me about a few of his customers with bone stock cars that routinely got pads and rotors ever 10k miles. They were predominantly female, but not exclusively.
Old 11-26-06, 12:55 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Longo Lexus in Southern California is thee best. They told me the truth, the screech were normal and they told me I still had lots of brake left. I have 18k miles on my car.
Old 11-26-06, 06:47 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Standard brakes? Sport brakes? No such thing! The brakes on the Sport package are the exact same brakes that are on the non-sport package. Your dealer is full of doo doo. Try spraying some high pressure water on the caliper between the pad and rotor. This will rinse away brake dust build-up and help with the squeal considerably. I do this every time I wash my car. I've never had a squeal problem.
Old 11-26-06, 10:08 AM
jezza
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If you left foot brake, you can kill a set of brake pads and rotors in very short order. A good friend of mine who was a Honda tech told me about a few of his customers with bone stock cars that routinely got pads and rotors ever 10k miles. They were predominantly female, but not exclusively.
That's got nothing to do with left foot braking and everything to do with leaving your left foot on the brake pedal all the time. Two entirely different things.
Old 11-26-06, 10:26 AM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

there was a TSB to get less aggressive pads if the customer complained about dust/noise from the normal pads, perhaps this is what the tech meant with sport brakes and regular brakes. i also believe it was supposed to be a warranty-covered claim.
Old 11-26-06, 11:35 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jezza
That's got nothing to do with left foot braking and everything to do with leaving your left foot on the brake pedal all the time. Two entirely different things.
...but not mutually exclusively. most left foot brakers leave their left foot on the brake pedal at mostly the inappropriate times. it's kinda tough to leave your right foot on the brake pedal "all the time" wouldn't you think?
Old 11-27-06, 11:13 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

Is there a difference in Pads? The 350 uses Brembo calipers, not sure about if the pads are the same between 250 and 350---I doubt it.

Dealer is full of BS. Have them remove the pads and apply some anti-noise lubricant. See if it changes things. I have 16k on my 250 with no noise or excessive wear. Brake dust yes, but you have to expect that with good brakes. I'll be replacing the stock pads around 30k I think, and the rotors/pads just shy of 60k. Mostly highway driving.
Old 11-27-06, 12:17 PM
KKelly
Lead Lap

Try spraying some high pressure water on the caliper between the pad and rotor. This will rinse away brake dust build-up and help with the squeal considerably. I do this every time I wash my car. I've never had a squeal problem.
This literally would have no effect. You likely have no squeal because you brake hard and firm. No dust builds up between the pad and rotor. Squealing is usually caused by the vibration of the pad against the caliper (usually on the ears of the pad where it contacts the caliper), not the actual contact between the pad and rotor as most people believe. Like a tuning fork. Think about it, why do the brakes stop squealing when you press harder? You have applied more pressure to the pad and stopped it from vibrating.

If this is a problem, just hope Mintex or somebody else soon comes out with an aftermarket pad. I use those on my wife's 323i wagon. No squealing and less dust than stock.
Old 11-27-06, 03:43 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sailing217
Is there a difference in Pads? The 350 uses Brembo calipers, not sure about if the pads are the same between 250 and 350---I doubt it.
I don't think this is true. Not to nitpick but if Lexus used Brembo calipers then they'd surely advertise that fact.
Old 11-27-06, 04:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,071 Likes on 2,468 Posts

They're ADVICS not Brembo. They are also four piston monoblock calipers. It would be very difficult to improve on these units.