Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Soft Lexus quailty ride with handling to match???

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-07, 04:42 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by engin_ear
The CS is excellent - I wouldn't need any stiffer. My biggest complaint is the Daizen suspension bushings, which do not allow the suspension to absorb expansion joints in the road anymore. You feel everything. I actually prefer the CS on full hard. No problem with any of the braces, the added stability is well worth the almost negligible effect on ride comfort.
I have the CS, the Daizen Sway Bars, and the Daizen Polyurethane Bushing kit (with my 19" fat setup)...and I have the EXACT same complaint as engin_ear. Those bushings added delightful steering response, but also added a whole new level of non-compliance over even the smallest bumps. The car seemingly crashes over almost every imperfection.

I LOVE handling, so I can't imagine going back to that stock steering now that I've experienced the Daizen bushings, BUT it's certainly a compromise.

It doesn't help that I just drove my friend's 2001 540i just last night, and his stock BMW handles just as good as my Lex, and soaks up ALL the bumps. It dampens EVERYthing.

So, as much as love my Lex, my next one just HAS to be German, probably a BMW. The thousands of hours those german engineers pour into that BMW suspension is priceless for those of us that treasure handling. They got it just about perfect... It takes too many mods and too much experimentation to match what BMW produces right off the assembly line.

The new IS350 has a much sportier suspension, but still doesn't match the new 330i's compliance and handling. But the gap is shrinking. Let's see what Lexus has up its sleeve for the new Lexus IS-F. Lexus HAS to inject a very sporty DNA into the suspension of it's 400hp M3-fighter. My fingers are crossed... 'Cause I hope to see a 550hp GS-F, the M5-fighter, soon.
Old 02-01-07, 06:59 PM
GSV8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
I have the CS, the Daizen Sway Bars, and the Daizen Polyurethane Bushing kit (with my 19" fat setup)...and I have the EXACT same complaint as engin_ear. Those bushings added delightful steering response, but also added a whole new level of non-compliance over even the smallest bumps. The car seemingly crashes over almost every imperfection.

I LOVE handling, so I can't imagine going back to that stock steering now that I've experienced the Daizen bushings, BUT it's certainly a compromise.

It doesn't help that I just drove my friend's 2001 540i just last night, and his stock BMW handles just as good as my Lex, and soaks up ALL the bumps. It dampens EVERYthing.

So, as much as love my Lex, my next one just HAS to be German, probably a BMW. The thousands of hours those german engineers pour into that BMW suspension is priceless for those of us that treasure handling. They got it just about perfect... It takes too many mods and too much experimentation to match what BMW produces right off the assembly line.

The new IS350 has a much sportier suspension, but still doesn't match the new 330i's compliance and handling. But the gap is shrinking. Let's see what Lexus has up its sleeve for the new Lexus IS-F. Lexus HAS to inject a very sporty DNA into the suspension of it's 400hp M3-fighter. My fingers are crossed... 'Cause I hope to see a 550hp GS-F, the M5-fighter, soon.
Well said Kevin.
I have spent a lot of time on here learning from everyone!!
I have the stock 17s with 245/45, V2 on full stiff, Daizen front c/a bushings, TRD STB, Toms 6 link, Daizen steering rack bushing and stock bars. The c/a bushings DO compromise ride comfort and you indeed feel A LOT of the road.

I think for those who want to retain ride "comfort" AND push the handling envelope as much as possible....below is my 2 cents...

stock 16,17s or lightweight 18s max
CS V2s- pick your comfort setting
Daizen sways and steering bushings
Toms 6 link
front and rear Toms LCB
TRD strut tower brace
Upr/lwr/frt/bck control arm bushings should be replaced with stock parts

If you really just want stock ride quality but want to get rid of the float

stock springs
KYB or stock shocks and struts
stock sway bars with poly bushings from Daizen
Toms 6link
Daizen steering bushings
Front and rear Toms LCB
TRD STB

Replace tie rods, ball joints
Alignment should be dead on as possible
tire pressures should be monitored regularly
And btw tires alone can make a HUGE difference in handling and ride comfort

As much as I love my GS4- with all that I have done to suspension, steering and tires, it still doesn't feel rock solid and I don't really want to up the ante and go with TRD sways and replace every damned suspension bushing in the car. The steering rack (at least in the earlier cars) is not to snuff either. I as well will look to a used AMG or M car when I have the itch to get another car. I will not mod it- just spend the extra money on the reliability issue.

For now, I overlook the inadequacy of the steering and suspension b/c it looks sexy, brakes really well, is comfortable, reliable and fast! It is a highway cruiser but with that damned vibration that comes and goes...grrr

Hope this helps and thanks again to all for this community of enthusiasts.

Last edited by GSV8; 02-01-07 at 07:16 PM. Reason: added mod
Old 02-02-07, 07:52 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Just do the mods I have in my signature and you'll have the best of both worlds--great handling and ride.

I put on my suspension parts one at a time and after much trial and error,here's my recommendation:
  • keep your control arm bushings stock.
  • Choose the Bilstein HD over the more common Bilstein Sports.The HD handle just as well as but are 3-4times more comfortable.
  • Never ever lower your car--it may look good but it overstrains the ball joints and the stock control arm bushings. Camber will also be a problem.
  • Avoid 19 inch rims like the plague but do spend more money on lightweight forged 18 inchers--you get better grip with no penalty to acceleration and ride quality.
  • The 6-links actually made the car MORE comfortable. By joining the subframes, the subframes no longer vibrate over road imperfections anymore. Instead ,the vibrations are quickly damped out by the stiffer chassis of the car.
  • Daizen steering rack bushings + front STB are THE answer. I feel frustrated seeing endless posts on how the steering feel of the GS is woolly and how much steering vibration there is at certain high speeds and how they are resigned to the fact that they will never ever get rid of the problem.
  • Guys, just read the overwhelmingly positive feedback on the Daizen steering rack bushings--usually in the thread just above yours--it's only a few bucks but it makes a world of difference.

That the GS will never have the handling/comfort of a 5 series IS A MYTH. Some of us have done it. Just do your home work first(the search function is your friend).

You also don't have to break the bank to do it ( I'll take the Nurburgring tested Bilstein HD shocks any day over over-hyped coil-overs )--there is no magical property that coil-overs have that automatically make them superior to a well executed sports shock-- the difference lies in how much money went into R and D and how much went into marketing hype. I'll give the Germans this--their electronics and Quality control may suck but they sure know how to build their shock absorbers.

Last edited by natnut; 02-02-07 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-02-07, 04:13 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

NATNUT - Are you just using the stock springs?
Old 02-02-07, 04:18 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3dog
Sounds to me like you've got the right idea already.

My wife went with all the Tom's braces and Daizen Sways but kept the stock springs and shocks.

I went with the Tom's braces TRD Sways and JIC MAGIC coilovers.

Hers is still soft and cushy and handles better than stock.

Mine is very firm ride and handles like it is on a rail at an amusement park.

I have not ever hear of Megan Racing coilovers, that is not to say they are good or bad.
I have heard that the Tein CS are very soft but give more control than stock.

One other idea is to add a LSD and you will have more traction thru the twisties.

Ivan
3dog
Your wife mods her car! thats sweet, where can i find a woman like that?!!! Congrats
Old 02-03-07, 08:00 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Scott1258
NATNUT - Are you just using the stock springs?
Yes. I previously used Tanabe NF210 lowering springs and it worsened the ride significantly.

The greatest contribution to road holding IMO are the shocks rather than the springs--most oem springs are of sufficient standard, it's the more complicated shock absorbers that are the critical component.
Old 02-05-07, 11:38 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by natnut
Yes. I previously used Tanabe NF210 lowering springs and it worsened the ride significantly.

The greatest contribution to road holding IMO are the shocks rather than the springs--most oem springs are of sufficient standard, it's the more complicated shock absorbers that are the critical component.

NatNut - do you know what the spring rates are for the stockers?

And, how would you say your setup with the stock springs and the Bilstein HD's compare to the Tein CSv2 in the performance category, ie... handling, turns, lean, etc...? And also compared to the Teins in the comfort category?

Do you have any of that mussy float with this setup (I'm imaging not from your posts but just to be clear)? And could you post a little more on how your car handles with your current setup. Thanks for your insights and time,

Scott

P.S. Your info on the Tom's 6-link has got my interest in this as my next mod!
Old 02-06-07, 04:54 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Scott,

I'll classify my mods as such :

Absolutely crucial to great handling with little/no penalty to ride :
  • TOM'S 6 links
  • Bilstein HD shocks
  • Daizen steering rack bushings

Major contribution to improving handling but some degradation to ride :
  • Daizen sway bars
  • 18 inch lightweight forged rims
Good to have but not must-haves, get only after the 2 previous categories :
  • Carson tuned STB
  • Lightweight 2 piece rotors-slotted not cross drilled
Avoid like the plague :
  • Bilstein Sports
  • Lowering springs--good only for looks
  • KYB/l-tuned shocks--can't measure up to the Bilstein HDs
Untested but looks promising, will probably try out in the near future :
  • TOM's rear lower brace
  • TOM's or TRD front lower brace
Untested but unimpressive from forum feedback :
  • Coilovers--overrated in my opinion--depending on choice will deliver good handling+ride but several times the cost of my current set-up
  • Daizen control arm bushings--degrades ride unnecessarily, pain in the butt to install.

Further clarification--I don't track my car but I indulge in a spot of spirited driving. Roads in Singapore range from perfectly flat and smooth to rough gravel with some potholes.

My car feels as good as my friend's 2003 5 series, steering feel is just as crisp and well weighted but slightly more "assisted-feeling" . No more floaty feeling on the highway, car feels very planted despite speeds > 120km/h.

There is some bumpiness over expansion joints and speed strips but rare and completely bearable.

Lateral weight transfer of the car is very good, chassis of the car feels very solid, you feel in complete control of the car hence overtaking is a breeze.

As to spring rates, hope this helps :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=spring+rates
Old 02-06-07, 09:21 AM
russian
Driver

are you kidding me? there's no way to even SLIGHTLY lower the car while keeping the ride factory soft?
Old 02-06-07, 11:21 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I have my car lowered with L-tuned springs and KYB shocks. They are the softest combo as far as spring/shocks. I'd say they are very close to shock, but you're definitely going to feel more road. I can't recall how much more stiff the ride is, since I have daizen sways on, but it shouldn't be that much more stiff.

My car feels just a tad stiffer than my buddy's GS with stock suspension.
Old 02-06-07, 02:26 PM
Bruneti
Driver School Candidate

Do Supra TT sway bars fit the 2nd Gen GS, or can they only be swapped onto SC's? I can only find info on TRD and Daizen sways for 2nd Gen, so I assume Supra TT bars won't fit.
Old 02-06-07, 06:56 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by natnut

Avoid like the plague :

Bilstein Sports
Lowering springs--good only for looks
KYB/l-tuned shocks--can't measure up to the Bilstein HDs
I will avoid the:

- Bilstein Sports because I'm getting the Bilstein HD's

- KYB/L-Tuned shocks because I'm getting the Bilstein HD's