Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

WARNING! front lower ball joints!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-06, 12:04 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From Sewell-
http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetail.asp?partid=3799
Old 12-04-06, 10:04 PM
6HIDsGS300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Yep.. had the same problems with the ball joints, first it was the right side,bought a new one from the dealer in brooklyn too( service parts department techs were rude..no hi nor smile.. and they even asked me to show them registration card doh!!... 'cos I asked too many question about the noises)
but being a doofus instead replacing both of them, I just replaced the right side.
a week later the left started to make loud creaking noise, especially during parking,brought it back to the mechanic.. and they said : the left ball joint need to be replace too.. doh!!
sooo.. hesitantly I went back to the lexus dealer in brooklyn, had to see the same %$#! guy and bought the left side, installed it then no more noises woo.. hooo .. er.. boo hoo.. hoo.. a month later there's slight creaking noise on the right side.

Back to the mechanic.. and this time he said it was the upper control arm ..Doh !!!
well I'm very mechanically challenged..I never even change the flat on my tires ( always used one of those "foam in the can" to get by untill I see a tire shop.. he. he )

well this maybe a stupid question.. but does anyone know if there's a bolt somewhere on the upper control arm that maybe I could just tighten it? or I should buy a new upper control arm?

thanks

Last edited by 6HIDsGS300; 12-04-06 at 10:05 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-05-06, 08:26 AM
w_star_001
Driver

Originally Posted by jonathancl
Anyone have a mileage recommendation for replacing the ball joints?

85k? 100k?

i want to know this too..???
Old 12-05-06, 04:01 PM
movinquick
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

should the front and rear ball joints be replaced or just the front? do the rears have ball joints?
Old 12-06-06, 01:54 AM
6HIDsGS300
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by w_star_001
i want to know this too..???
mine started to make noises at around 85K
changed both at once !
Old 12-06-06, 06:35 AM
skeet94
Driver

Mine made noises at 107k...although I didn't think anything of it, it's when we had the vehicle inspected (legal thing to do every year here in the UK), I was told they needed replacing. They didn't have "much" play in them, but still sorted out the alignment and steering accuracy problems I was having! .
Old 12-07-06, 10:21 AM
samster
Pole Position

ouch upper control arm is chedda i think it was around 7bills!

well my car only had 65k and the balljoints went, but here in new york city we have the worst roads possible you dodge a pothole and you end up hittin a bigger one. The balljoints give out depending on how you drive your car. 1st cuprit of balljoint wear would be hard cornering or gasin thru turns etc, 2nd would be drivin fast up down curbs and hitting potholes.

the reason i just wanted everyone to be safe if they hear any type of noise!
because i had a feelin it was my balljoint but when i tryed to recreate the sound it never came up and i lifted my car everyday at work to tighten bolts to check joints and the ball joints didnt have play while sitting in. Then i just gave up and took out the ball joints and to find that it was slidin in and out pretty badly. CAUSE IT WOULD BE QUITE DEVISTAING IF YOUR BALLJOINT GAVE OUT ON YOU WHILE DRIVING!!!!!! you would end up spendin a wad load of cash fixing your fender replacing the rim etc u could only imagen the worst when your ball joint snaps at 80mph gluck!
Old 12-07-06, 11:13 AM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

By any chance, would anyone happened to know if the extended warranty cover the cost for replacing the ball joints
Old 12-14-06, 12:50 AM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll be changing my front lower ball joints very very soon.. I read someone changing the outer tie rod ends as well.. Is it necessary or i'll be okay by just replacing the lower ball joints? Also i still have power train warranty on my car. Am i covered or not? Please advice!!

Last edited by Lexus GS3; 12-14-06 at 01:00 AM. Reason: adding a question
Old 12-21-06, 11:32 AM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Exactly what years does this ball joint problem cover? I have a 2003 GS300, my front suspension is making some noises and does not feel as controlled as it should... is it 1st and 2nd generation?
Old 12-21-06, 05:43 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

All ball joints go bad regardless of year and model. It just happens that the 98-05 GS balljoint goes bad around 100k miles, depending on the road condition and such.
Old 01-09-07, 12:32 PM
manila_boy
Lead Lap

alright guys this thread is making me really nervous, i've been hearing all this noises on my 98GS4 also, it started around 68k now it has 75k, i'm not that all worried (before) because i don't use the car that much anymore and i'm not an agressive driver, i tend to drive a lil' faster on fwys tho'. anyhow been noticing lately about this "blagag" noise (a lil' louder than a "clank" that most people say here) often heard on down hill turns or making sudden turns. sometimes i can even feel it on the floor of the car!!! also having this slight steering prob! i know it's scary! well here is my main question-on this list below, are these all the parts i would need to fix this problems??? since i've mentioned about the steering problem-do i need to bring this back to the shop to make an alignment again?

NOTE: i'm on 20s 3pc wheel w/ bilstein shocks and lowering springs. (a lil' abvious to have this kind of problem-at low mileage)

1. CONTROL ARMS 2X (Lower)
2. BALL JOINTS 2X (Lower)
3. TIE RODS 2X (Outer)
4. CASTOR ARMS 2X (Sub)
5. DAIZEN Steering Bushings

Thanx in advance...
Old 01-09-07, 01:03 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is the thing, you live in CA, so it will be pretty much warm all the time. I would recommend something different for you.

Get:
Balljoints
Tire Rods
Daizen Steering Rack Bushings
Daizen Front Bushing kit

The reason I say get the bushing kit, instead of the complete control arm and castor arm assembly is because you will save a lot, by not buying those entire units from Lexus. Being that you are in a warmer climate, your bushings will not make squeeking noises like us cold weather climate people experience. If you are going to install all this yourself, get a hydrolic press from Harbor Freight, and press that poly stuff in. If you are going to do it in a shop, well you will pay a little more for the bushing replacement, but I guarantee that you will spend much less by not buying the arms.
Old 01-09-07, 01:16 PM
manila_boy
Lead Lap

wow thanx a lot for the prompt reply!!! preicaite the help and all those saving tips!!!
Old 01-09-07, 01:35 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea if you are mechanically inclined, and have tools, the hydrolic press costs $90 shipped. 12 Ton is all you need. Castor bushings are a biotch, you will have to sawzal the inner ring. Not even shops can press out a bushing that big. The other bushings come out nicely with the press. Basically the hardest is the Castor bushing. Then your car will be solid. I live in pot hole city, and I love the bushings.

Quick Reply: WARNING! front lower ball joints!