Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilovers: Post your opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-06, 11:59 AM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers: Post your opinions

Here's the options (that I'm aware of...):

JIC Magic FLT-A2 -- A bit pricey, but everyone says they're good, and they definitely have a rep for good quality.

Tein SS/CS -- I know some people have the CS, anyone have the SS? I probably won't get EDFC, its a sweet gimmick, but I doubt I'll need it immediately.

Megan Racing -- Anyone have these? They advertise 4 inches! of drop. That's a lot.

HKS -- Haven't seen these online, but someone's sig has them...? HKS USA doesn't list them on their site though.

Tanabe -- Any news? Are they making any for the IS350?

Tom's ADVOX -- ...imported from japan for extra buckos.

Zeal (Endless) -- worth the money, like the Tom's?

Any other models I'm unaware of?

Last edited by Irishman06; 12-07-06 at 12:24 PM. Reason: added some. hopefully we can make this a complete reference for people looking at coilovers.
Old 12-07-06, 12:12 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

TOM's advox $3,000
TOM's of Japan actually has a complete suspension upgrade kit http://www.l-tunedparts.com/model/st...d=113&cat_id=7

It's not just a gimmicky front and rear "strut-bar" for you coilover toting IS.

Zeal Coilovers, from the makers of ENDLESS bbk's, $2000

Both are hardcore Japanese tuner parts. A little pricey, but these brands are known for superior quality, yadi yada.

Last edited by NovaIS350; 12-07-06 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-07-06, 12:13 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Zeal (Endless) Function x and Function xs.
Old 12-07-06, 12:18 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by al503
Zeal (Endless) Function x and Function xs.
as listed above

I'm not sure how the ride is on an IS equipped with aftermarket coilovers..but I've been in many cars sporting coilovers, and the ride is usally rough- to extremely rough. I mean they might as well have converted the thing into a race car. If you're not going to be tracking your car or not planning on appearing on magazines, a really nice set of springs are enough to improve road handling abilities, and give you that aggressive drop. Coilovers are not a sound bling bling investment, unless you're ok with shelling out that kind of money.

Last edited by NovaIS350; 12-07-06 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-07-06, 12:27 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TEIN CS! Smooth when you want it. And very aggressive once you turn up those dampers!
Old 12-07-06, 12:28 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

oh i forgot...fabulous japan has their inferno coilovers....$2,300
Old 12-07-06, 12:46 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Yea, I'd definitely rather not drop $2k+ on a set of coilovers, but there's some more reasonable options out there...Carson's GB on the CS was a good price, the Megan's are only $900, and I think I've seen the JICs for ~$1400...

A lot depends on the choice of coilover, I think: I've had friends with lowered e46 m3s, 240sx (yes, he later put an SR20 in it), and a mk3 jetta riding around on the bumpstops...and none of them had incredibly poor rides. You just have to find the right set for the job.
Old 12-07-06, 01:05 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
as listed above
If you're not going to be tracking your car or not planning on appearing on magazines, a really nice set of springs are enough to improve road handling abilities, and give you that aggressive drop. Coilovers are not a sound bling bling investment, unless you're ok with shelling out that kind of money.
i just like the look of slammed cars... the lower it is the better looking i think the car gets... i went with springs before... and the only thing about springs is....especially for us... up north guys...is that you can't adjust the car's height during winter...but i wouldn't spend 2000-3000 on coilovers don't get me wrong.... but springs vs coilovers....decision is most likely based on where everyone lives.
Old 12-07-06, 02:57 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
as listed above

I'm not sure how the ride is on an IS equipped with aftermarket coilovers..but I've been in many cars sporting coilovers, and the ride is usally rough- to extremely rough. I mean they might as well have converted the thing into a race car. If you're not going to be tracking your car or not planning on appearing on magazines, a really nice set of springs are enough to improve road handling abilities, and give you that aggressive drop. Coilovers are not a sound bling bling investment, unless you're ok with shelling out that kind of money.
Well I don't have any first-hand experience yet, but those Tein CS coilovers are supposed to be relatively smooth. I hear they're even smoother than the sport-tuned suspension that Lexus offers for the IS.
Old 12-07-06, 03:04 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

really? nice, thats probably why I wanted them, even though I would probably never put it to good use.
Old 12-07-06, 03:12 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to be sure you understand, though, I'm not talking about the standard suspension that the ISX50 comes with. Lexus offers a sport-tuned suspension in the sport package and X-package. If you knew that's what I meant, don't take it as an insult; I'm just clarifying.

EDIT: I see that you have the sport package... so you most probably did know that. Nevermind then, heh.
Old 12-07-06, 05:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

In a slightly different vein - If one of the top quality suspension manufacturers were to build a setup for the IS, would there be any takers? Top quality means Penske, Moton, or Ohlins. They would likely be around $6k. Anyone that serious?
Old 12-07-06, 05:31 PM
leestoy
Driver

Go For The Jic....(i'm A Little Partial).. Yes Pricey But Worth There Weight In Gold (ok maybe not gold) but definitely worth it For The Ride.... Nothing Against Springs... But Obviously A Huge Price Difference... But Also A Huge Ride Difference... Just My $.02
Old 12-07-06, 06:29 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

in general.. i dont' know much bout megan.. but you should really check out the stiffness of the spring and the damping of the coils. Do you want a 15kg/mm spring? or do you want more of 8kg/mm. If you don't care bout ride quality , go with the stiffest one~ if price is an issues get one that you feel is worth it for you~
Old 12-07-06, 07:02 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
In a slightly different vein - If one of the top quality suspension manufacturers were to build a setup for the IS, would there be any takers? Top quality means Penske, Moton, or Ohlins. They would likely be around $6k. Anyone that serious?
Yeah..give me a set of Ohlins, some ab-flug sway bars. and a T88 turbo. While you're at it you can set me up for a JGTC GT300 race. That is some serious cash for some serious products.

Quick Reply: Coilovers: Post your opinions