Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rear Caliper Upgrade Besides Supra TT

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-06, 07:48 AM
ThatDoodle
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Caliper Upgrade Besides Supra TT

Is there any other rear 2 piston caliper that is compatible with our SC's besides the TT Supra? I just got some NEW LS400/430 front calipers for 150$ without having to exchange my old ones as cores. Are the LS400/430 rears 2 piston? Ive been searching on the net but no luck. any help is appreciated
Old 12-13-06, 08:30 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aren't the TT and LS calipers 4 pot??
Old 12-13-06, 12:02 PM
574-SC300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Aren't the TT and LS calipers 4 pot??
I believe he is asking about the rears.
Old 12-13-06, 03:30 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

im pretty sure they are two piston, but you could run with the single piston rears w/0 a problem.
Old 12-14-06, 12:40 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

you really have to be careful about upsetting brake bias. So much of the stopping power comes from the front wheels, overly powerful rear brakes can upset the rear of the car during braking.

F1 cars have the ability to modify this bias on the fly, right from the steering wheel... with the SC, no such luck
Old 12-16-06, 10:48 AM
ThatDoodle
Driver

You guys are right. I guess theres no need for the rear upgrade. I dont go that fast anyway. Im still curious to know if the ls400's rear are 2 piston and if anyone has any knowledge of them being a straight bolt on. It would be good info for anyone on the board to find in the search if they're interested in doing it.
Old 12-16-06, 10:57 AM
ThatDoodle
Driver

By the way. i just bought a pair of Ls400 calipers on ebay from this guy for 150. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Front...spagenameZWDVW
He was asking the same price as the auction i just linked but i used the best offer feature and offered 150 and he accepted.

Then i found this site which is even cheaper for the calipers
http://www2.lexpartsonline.com/parts...aliper&dp=true
I already searched for 2000 LS400 brake calipers on that link.
Old 12-16-06, 12:52 PM
574-SC300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ThatDoodle
http://www2.lexpartsonline.com/parts...aliper&dp=true
I already searched for 2000 LS400 brake calipers on that link.
According to that link the rears are only single piston.
Old 12-16-06, 01:21 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

i think the rears are only single piston. however, the link you posted has a core or $40, so the callipers are $109.83 each. you got a good deal.

as for brake bias, if you go from the dinky SC front calipers, to the 4 pot LS ones, i think you should upgrade the rear as well.... what would keep it more ballanced in my opinion. although, i dont have any real pressure specs or anything, but it makes sense to upgrade both or the front will have even more bias....??? right?
Old 02-03-07, 08:17 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ki_soarer
i think the rears are only single piston. however, the link you posted has a core or $40, so the callipers are $109.83 each. you got a good deal.

as for brake bias, if you go from the dinky SC front calipers, to the 4 pot LS ones, i think you should upgrade the rear as well.... what would keep it more ballanced in my opinion. although, i dont have any real pressure specs or anything, but it makes sense to upgrade both or the front will have even more bias....??? right?
That's a good question I'd like to know about too--

I can say that I have done an upgrade on an Infiniti G20, and went from 258 to 280mm front rotors and calipers from a 95~ ish Maxima, and all effects have been positive. These brakes have actually potentially saved my life on one occasion-- This is only a 2800 lb car though, but it does have 4 wheel disc ABS brakes that work very well, and it's common to see not only this upgrade but the Q45 2 piston front calipers/rotors as well-- with no upgrade to the rears at all-- (they're already in excess of 10" diameter as is)

It's my belief that the rear brakes are only supplemental, and are probably designed from the factory as to not pose the threat of "over braking" and causing a loss of control due to fish-tailing/sliding-- This makes me think that they wont need to be upgraded unless you're driving very high speeds, where a better pad may do better for the rear than anything else--

I'm thinking one may experience some serious benefits from some EBC pads and the LS400 front calipers/rotors with stock rears-- I just haven't tested it, but will soon, I can promise-- I just can't leave well enough alone to a stock vehicle it seems....

BTW-- Those "dinky" SC front calipers are 2 piston, and the rotors are close to 13" aren't they???? That's better than alot of trucks come with in 2006----

These cars are overengineered from the factory to rival $70,000 BMW's and Benz's from the same era, and I would hardly call anything on them "dinky"-- unless you're comparing them to a Porsche 952 Formula car--
Old 02-04-07, 02:51 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Aliga was telling me of another clublexus member that had LS400 front brakes with Supra TT rear brakes and his car braked fine with on problems. So, according to this, having 2-pot supra TT rear brakes with LS400 front brakes does not upset the brake bias of the car...
Old 02-04-07, 10:12 AM
ThatDoodle
Driver

[QUOTE=MJHSC400;2399829]I'm thinking one may experience some serious benefits from some EBC pads and the LS400 front calipers/rotors with stock rears[QUOTE]

I tihink thats what im going to do.
Old 02-04-07, 10:37 AM
KidPandJ
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bias is controlled by a proportioning valve, i don't think it has anything to do with what kind of brakes are on the front or the back. So as long as you leave your proportioning valve alone, i belive that your brake bias would remain the same.
Old 02-04-07, 10:48 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KidPandJ
Bias is controlled by a proportioning valve, i So as long as you leave your proportioning valve alone.
Where is this proportioning valve located and how is it adjusted ? You'd be the first because to my knowledge no one has documented it and if it exists it'd be your exclusive to post on it. Let us know.

Last edited by SCoupe; 02-04-07 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-04-07, 04:48 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

scoupe: its either in the master cyl., in a brake line distribution block or in the abs unit itself depending upon the car. It can be changed by adding a separate proportioning valve that is made for manual-changing or by changing the oriface size of the stock units.

Quick Reply: Rear Caliper Upgrade Besides Supra TT