Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

LCA Ball Joints-- maybe there's a solution... more to come

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-07, 10:07 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I persoanally don't think the arms were engineered correctly-- They should've designed them with replaceable ball joints like all the other thousands of vehicles on the road today.

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with some arms with bad ball joints, as mine are going bad and I want to rebuild a set for my car..

In exchange I'll post a detailed writeup-- and some money-- It seems nobody wants to give away their trashed arms-- they seem to be more interested in keeping them in the garage collecting dust, or even worse, thrown out in the trash--
Old 06-30-07, 09:32 AM
toykilla
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any progress on this?
Old 06-30-07, 10:20 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

So far nobody has been willing to step up and help in the process-- As soon as they do I have an experienced machinist along with myself with some tooling experience ready to tackle the job--

It's really very simple -- and if ANYONE has some "busted" LCA's just laying around that will be trashed eventually, PLEASE step up--

I'll be more than happy to buy them and pay shipping to me--

Matt
Old 06-30-07, 10:45 AM
toykilla
Driver

I found some at a junkyard for $45.
Old 06-30-07, 11:33 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

This is Arkansas-- I wish--

I could use them if you aren't -- but I assume since you bought a pair you'll have a spare set at some point--

?????????
Old 06-30-07, 12:53 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't mind donating mine when they go bad. So far at 118,000 they are still good so it won't be anytime soon. Although I did find a set on ebay for about $100. Let me know if you want the link.
Old 06-30-07, 01:21 PM
toykilla
Driver

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
This is Arkansas-- I wish--

I could use them if you aren't -- but I assume since you bought a pair you'll have a spare set at some point--

?????????
No, I didn't buy them. I am in the process of rebuilding my entire suspension but have not checked my ball joints. My car has ~150k miles so chances are they are bad. I ran across your thread and thought the same thing: Why hasn't anyone come up with a fix yet?

I am more than willing to work on a fix for this. $700 for new arms is just ridiculous and used you never know how long they will last.

A plug and play solution would be ideal unless you could get a machine shop to run a group buy.
Old 06-30-07, 02:18 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

supra lca's are only 450 for a set from carson toyota, they should last 100k plus, i had 164k on mine and the ball joints are still good, but the bushings were shot.
Old 06-30-07, 07:48 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

My left ball joint seems somewhat tight after 156k, but the right side was in a collision and is much looser than the left--

On nice smooth interstate it's fine, but it tramlines like crazy on country highways through Arkansas and Louisiana--

It's kind of a handful to drive this way so I figure it's about time to do something--

Hey Toykilla-- I'd love to get those LCA's from you that you found in a junkyard if you wouldn't mind shipping them--
Old 07-02-07, 05:59 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

Man ... just found out my driverside ball joint is f'ed ... let me know if yall have a fix cause i would be interested ...
Old 10-02-07, 09:42 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright I am reviving an old thread. I have been lurking for some time as I gain information about our cars and begin the rebuild process. I will be building this more on the racecar side than luxury.

I am going to the machine shop this week to find out what they can do. I have the upper and lower control arms out. I will be working on a writeup for both how I got them out (dropped the entire subframe for the rears) and what the machine shop did.

Any thoughts, opinions, or already searched info. I really like the angle that richonenz took with the LS400. However I will work with the machine shop to see what they think is the best way.

The other item I will ask them is id they would be about to CNC me some solid subframe and diff bushings from my stock bushings. I have not found many offerings in the aftermarket.
Old 10-11-07, 10:41 PM
ant1k
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZMEGOBY
Alright I am reviving an old thread. I have been lurking for some time as I gain information about our cars and begin the rebuild process. I will be building this more on the racecar side than luxury.

I am going to the machine shop this week to find out what they can do. I have the upper and lower control arms out. I will be working on a writeup for both how I got them out (dropped the entire subframe for the rears) and what the machine shop did.

Any thoughts, opinions, or already searched info. I really like the angle that richonenz took with the LS400. However I will work with the machine shop to see what they think is the best way.

The other item I will ask them is id they would be about to CNC me some solid subframe and diff bushings from my stock bushings. I have not found many offerings in the aftermarket.

if you can find something that is compareable to the lexus one, lmk, i have the control arms out right now, and my shop says they can press out the old one and press in a new one for me if i can find a replacement.
Old 01-14-08, 04:45 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

This thread is back from the dead again!!

I just replaced my control arms and suspension and i have a set of control arms i will send to anyone for the price of shipping if they are willing to work on a fix for everyone ... and also i have a hook up at dhl so it should cost less than 10 bucks to ship em.
Send me a PM with your address if you want em, i am working 60 hr weeks (tax season), so i wont be on here too often.
Old 01-14-08, 04:51 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I have since sold the SC, but I'm willing to mess with boring the socket on an lca since this is a huge problem in the lexus world anyway--

I'm never on here but my email is hipple.matt@gmail.com

It is quite a job and will likely take a bit of legwork, but it should be worth a little work --

I've considered a few ways to modify the arm to accept a press in joint as well as even machining it to accept a bolt on style--

Research will be the final answer and this among many other things can be done, I even considered building some tubular chromoly lca's that accept a press style joint-- lowering unsprung weight dramatically-- it would make a big difference-- really wouldn't be that hard with a cnc bender-- I don't have one in my apt though-- :/

I may know someone that would be willing to pay the shipping to get these here--

100mgbluep where you at?!
Old 09-23-09, 05:05 PM
defrag010
Driver

Has anyone ever looked into threading the ball joint socket and using a universal threaded balljoint?