Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

LCA Ball Joints-- maybe there's a solution... more to come

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-06, 06:55 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LCA Ball Joints-- maybe there's a solution... more to come

As surely every SC/Soarer owner on the planet well knows by now, the LCA ball joints, as well as the uppers are NON replaceable units..

This would normally mean that we were then to spend several hundred dollars on an entire unit JUST to replace a $30 ball joint.

I have done some research into ball joint design to discover some interesting facts. All were built at one point requiring assembly of some sort. What does this mean? They can be DIS assembled too.

SO?

It's one of a couple of ways to replace the ball joints by replacing the ball/socket fittings inside the joint housing. These fit around the ball and the two halves make a press fit socket. These press fit pieces CAN be replaced. This would bring the ball joint back to or near original spec.

Another seemingly scary but no doubt effective method would be to machine the end of the arm to accept a bolt on type joint. This sounds crazy and even dangerous, but can be done effectively with the right machining, replacement joint, and careful attention to retaining geometry. There are several different joints, ie. mk2 supra joints, that use a long finger shaped cast iron connector that could be easily made to fit a properly machined lca....... More on that later..

The possibly best idea is the first one, to replace the internal components and possibly the ball itself --- with something from a Crown Victoria or something else found to fit the spindle.. (with or without an adapter sleeve)

BUT-- there is a possibility a machine shop could press out the oe ball joint, plus the internals, then bore it to the proper spec to accept a new replacement joint that is the proper size.

I like the method that simply replaces the internal bushings that form the socket, and re-pressing it together good as new.

I'll be looking further into this in a few weeks and picking up some guinea pig parts to determine fitment issues and internal's compatibility.

I thought someone may be interested in this and be willing to provide some input on any research they may have done.

I would be more likely to rebuild the present unit with new internals than any other option, but if it's found to be a wild goose chase, I may resort to machining the end of the arm to accept a replaceable type ball joint.

Good luck to anyone else attempting this. It should be doable.
Old 12-17-06, 07:08 PM
sliva001
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a good idea. I bought my car for cheap with a popped out LCA ball joint. Although I already replaced it, I cant get over the possibility that it may pop out once again down the road.
Old 12-17-06, 07:22 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Well concieved and look forward to your updates.
Old 12-17-06, 07:47 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you----- More to come in a little while-- I may actually look into some parts compatibility this week.

I can't live with the idea of paying $500 or more for a lexus part..... Even a Supra LCA can be had for about $250 shipped, but a ball joint usually costs about $40 for a good quality replacement. EVEN a BMW or Benz ball joint.

It sure will keep the SC owner list limited for sure though. BUT, the cost of parts can kill resale value, as well as boost the resale of a well maintained car... I guess thats why you see such a great fluctuation in prices, anywhere from $2000, to $9000...........

Last edited by MJHSC400; 12-17-06 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-03-07, 02:34 AM
stonewis
Pole Position

I'd be interested to see how your research turns out!
Old 01-03-07, 10:05 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I've been out of town for about a month, but I want to get on this project to see if I can do something with it--

I wonder if anyone has a broken lca they could send me--
Old 02-13-07, 10:38 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Some Progress--

Rebuild Procedure on the "Non Rebuildable Porsche 944 LCA Ball Joint"
http://www.rennbay.com/info_pages.php?pages_id=13

This proves it can be done--

Now I just need a donor arm with a shot or nearly shot ball joint-- I can then disassemble it and begin sourcing the zerk fittings (half sphere bushings) of the appropriate size, which may come from a honda, or a lincoln, or maybe these Porsche units-- Can't know until I measure the actual size of the ball..
Old 02-13-07, 10:56 AM
Sc400on20s
Lead Lap

Great thread, keep us updated!
Old 02-13-07, 11:31 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Surely someone has a LCA with a bad joint they can ship me for R&D--

This would offer a huge benefit for SC drivers everywhere.
Old 02-13-07, 06:31 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

check ebay... there were some on there for like $40 a few day back.

keep up the good work.
Old 02-13-07, 06:35 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

There are some right now in someone's garage that just installed supra LCA's too-- they're about to throw them away-- Just don't know who--
Old 02-13-07, 08:48 PM
mobilyte
Pole Position

zerk fittings ≠ bushings

somebody has already modified the non-replaceable LS upper control arm (with integrated ball joint) to use a steel bushing and bolt, maybe the same technique can be applied to the SC lower control arm.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=control

Last edited by mobilyte; 02-13-07 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-14-07, 05:44 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry, Zerk= grease fittings--

Anyway, all we need is the spring, cap, and half sphere bushings that fit snug around the ball--
Old 02-14-07, 04:04 PM
PJ
Lead Lap

I have some spare LCA's i was gonna try to fit some ball joints in also, but havent found anytime. PM me and maybe i can send one to you for some R&D. I need to find a solution ASAP, both ball joints currently on my vehicle are mad shot .
Old 02-14-07, 06:58 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks PJ--

I'll be glad to use them as a test subject. I'm ready to tackle this problem and make something work before my own ball-joints get any worse.

Quick Reply: LCA Ball Joints-- maybe there's a solution... more to come