Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Big brake upgrade pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-01, 02:32 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great thread CmputerWiz! Definitely one to archive!

FYI: Most STOCK wheels will NOT clear upgraded brakes (including the Supra brakes). You'll either have to have upgraded wheels (and not all aftermarket wheels will clear upgraded brakes also) or spacers...
Old 11-05-01, 04:41 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by z28_2000
Word of warning.....cross-drilled are usually (not always) a waste of money. Slotted rotors are too.
If you've ever raced, they are a MUST-HAVE. Brake fade is almost instant after your third turn. And with about 10 more turns ahead of you, you'll be praying for the cross drilled and slotted rotors! The need for c/d or slotted rotors depends on application. But for street use, ther are unecessary.
Old 11-05-01, 07:16 PM
BLOWN_SC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in need of some bigger brakes and that is great idea of yours.What year supra are they from?
What size are there rotors?
Can you put rear supra brakes on the rear?
Old 11-06-01, 09:03 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok... brand of rotors....I have no idea. I got the set used for $350, this included calipers, pads, cross drilled rotors, and stainless steel brake lines.

I am planning on doing the back also, I'm trying to find a set of rear brakes from a Supra TT. I was going to move my old front brakes to the back, but I mangled them too much getting them off with the sledgehammer. I'll just get new ones now.

You will need larger wheels to fit these brakes, I've got 18's. I hear some 17's will fit them, but you'd hafta be careful...not many would. I think the new rotors are 13.8"...the old ones...small. don't know offhand but I'll figure out.

You can do this mod to both the SC300 and SC400...they use the same brakes. And you can use brakes from any year MKIV (93 and newer) Supra TT. They're all the same.

These are stock Supra TT calipers, so they're 2 - piston. I must say, they stop MUCH better than the 2-piston SC brakes.

I want cross-drilled rotors for the cooling effect. I am NEVER easy on my car...and I've killed many sets of brakepads on non-slotted rotors from the rotors getting so hot. Hell...I've warped plenty of rotors too. Maybe these rotors will last longer than 6-7k miles. My tires don't last long either, usually about 8k max. I guess using drift to get around sharp turns does that? lol

SR
Old 11-06-01, 09:44 AM
lxxxs
Driver

i think u mean 4 piston
Old 11-06-01, 09:55 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Well two pistons per caliper....

There's only two on each side of the car. The caliper has one side with pistons pushing the brake pad, and the other side the brake pad just sits against the caliper itself...being pulled by the pistons compressing on the other side. Know what I mean?

Well I think...lemme go look....but that's what I remembered looking at when I was putting them on. Maybe I'm thinking of my Fiero...brb after I look

SR
Old 11-06-01, 10:08 AM
lxxxs
Driver

if u got the tt upgrade u should have 2 pistons on each side.
if not u have the non turbo supra brakes they are bigger than our sc stock ones. but not tt's.
check on it.

i ran into the same problems when i did my upgrade it was a huge pain in the a$$. they kept sending me the wrong ones.

i thought from ur pics they looked a little small, but check on it.
Jc
Old 11-06-01, 10:13 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm....I don't have a jack! I left it at my dads house in VA. I'm gonna run up to Autozone and get a new hydraulic jack so I can pull off one of the calipers and look. I'll let y'all know!

Anyone see the Rally of France last night on SpeedVision? awesome. Can't wait till the 19th for the Rally of Australia. I want a WRX or Lancer Evo now.

SR
Old 11-06-01, 02:29 PM
Macky
Driver School Candidate

FYI, you can also bleed the brakes by yourself. Just fill the resevoir with brake fluid. Open the 2 front bleed screws and let the brake fluid gravity bleed through the system. Do not touch the brake pedal while this is going on. When fluid starts to drip from the bleed screws tighten them down. Top off the resevoir, put the top back on and you are done. This will work 99.9% of the time.
Old 11-06-01, 03:09 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Supra MKIV TT brakes are 4 pistons, 2 pushing on each brake pad. There is no sliding pin arrangement as on lesser rotors. The diameter is 12.9", not 13.8". I have 17" wheels, but clearance is really tight, and I had to shave part of the caliper to get them to clear. If you got Supra TT wheels, you'd have no problem. 18" wheels as stated will generally fit.
Old 11-07-01, 05:56 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brakes

the visual difference

gadgetSC
Attached Thumbnails Big brake upgrade pics-ttscbrakes.jpg  
Old 11-09-01, 04:00 PM
BLOWN_SC400
Driver School Candidate

So can you tell the difference with twin turbo and non turbo supra brakes so I dont get ripped off ?
So what your telling me my rotors and calipers on the front can bolt stright on the rear ?
Old 11-10-01, 02:22 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Four piston calipers will always work and feel better than the type with sliders.I just put a set of BMW,four piston calipers,11"rotors on my old Fiero;now it definately slows down faster than it excellerates.
Porsche,Ferrari use this type of brakes on their newer hotrods,and I would put Toyota OEM quality up there at least as high as their suppliers.
A set of TT brakes is on my wish list,but suspension first.
Oh,BlownSC,the calipers will have four pistons,and be fairly large,there's a picture of a new one on MkIV.com,the Supra site.

Last edited by SCV8; 11-10-01 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-20-02, 09:16 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Default Rears too :)

Has ANYONE figured out the REAR brake upgrade?

I have the front TT's and would like the rear too but I'd rather not experiment on my ride...kudos to those who do and make this shiznots possible for those of us who are a little more timid with $50k cars.

late.

Ryan
Old 01-20-02, 09:19 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Default Also

Can anyone identify the rotors???

Ryan

Quick Reply: Big brake upgrade pics