Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Whats the real deal on coilovers under $1000

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-07, 11:24 PM
Jarrett H
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dejacky
Incorrect again. The outer shell casings are made by the same company, but the internal dampening systems are completely different in that the Megan's suck and the Apexi's internal dampening system is much better.
lol dude u just made a thread asking how hipermax coilovers stack up, and thread about how good JIC coilovers are. Now you speak gospel that "Megan's suck" . All i can think of when i read your post is that star trek gif where that dude grabs his forhead in a sigh. Fact-these coilovers work well, many people love them especially for their price.

Until you buy them, hold them,drive them, and can compare all these things to other leading brands, go play wii. On a side note, can you grab me a link that proves the complete internals are different? Not another forum link, proof. Then one that gives factual information why the internals are inferior?

kthx

Last edited by Jarrett H; 01-11-07 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-11-07, 12:13 AM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Lemme ask you something jarrett. When have SC owners become so knowledgable about suspension? The truth of the matter is that most sc owners do not know much about suspension. So when they get their 1st suspension kit they're like "YEA, THEY'RE THE BEST, EVERYONE GO BUY THEM" when the truth is that they could be crappy coilovers, and they wouldnt know. i dont know many sc owners that have felt TRUE suspension like KW variant 3's, bilstein pss9's, or ohlins. Not to diss SC owners, or anything, it's just not what our sc's are meant to do.
Old 01-11-07, 12:25 AM
Levistey0
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My opinion is up in the air on this one. Im really debating whether to buy some Megans, or just save for some HKS Hipermax.

From experience, I've built my very own front coilovers suspension from my stock struts, for my old Corolla. So I DO know what a coilovers is about and how well they handle at track conditions.

Until then it's is very hard to accept the opinions of others who have no other exp. in suspensions for this car. I do however agree with JARRET because of the fact that he has owned a set of track HKS, Drag respectively, on his SC!

I believe they are well built coilovers, and so far i haven't heard nothing about these coilovers $H*TTING out on anyone? Maybe more experiences from any Supra Forums?
Old 01-11-07, 11:04 AM
Jarrett H
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sly Guy Yu
Lemme ask you something jarrett. When have SC owners become so knowledgable about suspension? The truth of the matter is that most sc owners do not know much about suspension. So when they get their 1st suspension kit they're like "YEA, THEY'RE THE BEST, EVERYONE GO BUY THEM" when the truth is that they could be crappy coilovers, and they wouldnt know. i dont know many sc owners that have felt TRUE suspension like KW variant 3's, bilstein pss9's, or ohlins. Not to diss SC owners, or anything, it's just not what our sc's are meant to do.
Thats just the point, telling somone they need to spend $1500 plus on their car when they have to ask what brand ridiculous. And when you say "you get what you pay for" that isn't always so. Buddy club for instance, they make sharty parts for cars but their suspension is ok. A set goes for around 1400-1500 the same price as tein flex. You dont' like tein right? Tein Flex are the same as Tein SS which go for 900. The differences are they have pillowball mounts and the shock tube can be adjusted just like the megans. Your paying for 900 technology with extra parts kinda like an mitsu evo. The only reason people tarnish the idea of them is because there price. Im not defending the company, as i wouldn't throw their down pipe on my car, but the coilover is solid. If you search google, you will find other guys from different forums that love them and have track proven their performance.

Originally Posted by Levistey0
My opinion is up in the air on this one. Im really debating whether to buy some Megans, or just save for some HKS Hipermax.

From experience, I've built my very own front coilovers suspension from my stock struts, for my old Corolla. So I DO know what a coilovers is about and how well they handle at track conditions.

Until then it's is very hard to accept the opinions of others who have no other exp. in suspensions for this car. I do however agree with JARRET because of the fact that he has owned a set of track HKS, Drag respectively, on his SC!

I believe they are well built coilovers, and so far i haven't heard nothing about these coilovers $H*TTING out on anyone? Maybe more experiences from any Supra Forums?
I didn't want to use this card, but SF forums is where i read most my reviews. Supra guys only go for the best of the best when it comes to placing parts on their cars. Why spend $900 on suspension when you have a $35k car etc... But for the price, they come recommended.

These guys have been selling supras to the community for years and are some of the leading guys on the forums/industry. I was the same way everyone else was about suspension and i still am. I really didn't want to waste the $$ on megans but i figured i would give it a go since they had good reviews. My car drove amazing, and like i said, the only concern i could have is if they break. 1year warranty ftw. I would never tell somone to use something i haven't tried myself.
P.S

My HKS are for sale
Old 01-11-07, 11:19 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Jarret H for President

I had Tein's then switched to D2's and they ride much better and suit my needs. One of my friends is running Megan's on his SC which is his DD and he has no complaints. Maybe these coilovers aren't the best but they are the best for their price.

Oh yea this is for dejacky:
Old 01-11-07, 11:39 AM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

I dont understand why people would be so worked up about coilovers when they don't even track, roadrace, autocross, drift, race their cars.

If you want daily comfortable driving with better handling, then replace your blown shocks with new shocks, add in lowering springs, or get teins CS coilovers and stop complaining. As for me I think spending $2000 is rediculous on a daily driver; esp when aftermarket coilovers don't have nearly the lifespan of stock shocks and when the car isn't used for competition.
Old 01-11-07, 12:22 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
I dont understand why people would be so worked up about coilovers when they don't even track, roadrace, autocross, drift, race their cars.

If you want daily comfortable driving with better handling, then replace your blown shocks with new shocks, add in lowering springs, or get teins CS coilovers and stop complaining. As for me I think spending $2000 is rediculous on a daily driver; esp when aftermarket coilovers don't have nearly the lifespan of stock shocks and when the car isn't used for competition.
i have new shocks and springs on my sc300 and is great for everyday driving
Old 01-11-07, 03:50 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Wink

Originally Posted by Jarrett H
lol dude u just made a thread asking how hipermax coilovers stack up, and thread about how good JIC coilovers are. Now you speak gospel that "Megan's suck" . All i can think of when i read your post is that star trek gif where that dude grabs his forhead in a sigh. Fact-these coilovers work well, many people love them especially for their price.

Until you buy them, hold them,drive them, and can compare all these things to other leading brands, go play wii. On a side note, can you grab me a link that proves the complete internals are different? Not another forum link, proof. Then one that gives factual information why the internals are inferior?
kthx
When I was about to buy the megan coilovers, I posted on several forums (including clublexus) and did a lot of research. Then I found evidence proving the megan racing coilovers have much worse internal dampneing than the Apexi N1 coilovers. I didn't save it, so you'll have to do your own searching. I find it funny that you get defensive when someone mentions the Megan Internals are nothing compared to the Apexi N1's. How about this, where is your PROOF that the Megan Racing coilover internals are exactly the same as the Apexi N1's? kthnx

Originally Posted by Levistey0
...I believe they are well built coilovers, and so far i haven't heard nothing about these coilovers $H*TTING out on anyone? Maybe more experiences from any Supra Forums?
A few users on supraforums (and other forums) reported their Megan Racing coilovers blowing out and even having to re-tighten the shock rings because over short periods of time, the height adjustment rings become loose .

Also, I now know two persons who have ditched their Megan Racing coilovers for Bilstein shocks + springs and are much happier. I'm not saying don't get the Megan's, but pls don't speak like they're the holy grail and a bargain because "[they're exactly the same as the Apexi N1's..blah blah blah.]" Why shouldn't you say that? Because it's simply false .
Old 01-11-07, 09:41 PM
Jarrett H
Rookie

Originally Posted by dejacky
When I was about to buy the megan coilovers, I posted on several forums (including clublexus) and did a lot of research. Then I found evidence proving the megan racing coilovers have much worse internal dampneing than the Apexi N1 coilovers. I didn't save it, so you'll have to do your own searching. I find it funny that you get defensive when someone mentions the Megan Internals are nothing compared to the Apexi N1's. How about this, where is your PROOF that the Megan Racing coilover internals are exactly the same as the Apexi N1's? kthnx

A few users on supraforums (and other forums) reported their Megan Racing coilovers blowing out and even having to re-tighten the shock rings because over short periods of time, the height adjustment rings become loose .

Also, I now know two persons who have ditched their Megan Racing coilovers for Bilstein shocks + springs and are much happier. I'm not saying don't get the Megan's, but pls don't speak like they're the holy grail and a bargain because "[they're exactly the same as the Apexi N1's..blah blah blah.]" Why shouldn't you say that? Because it's simply false .
Old 01-11-07, 10:22 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by Jarrett H
ROFL. this picture is Genius Jarrett..genius!!
Old 01-12-07, 12:51 AM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Deep Blue Sea!!! A Mothafugin Shark Ate Me!
Old 01-12-07, 04:18 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually do run my car on the local oval track quite often but im not that heavy into comps. As long as they ride close to my tokico/eibach only with letting me lower it a bit more without hop im alright....
Old 01-13-07, 09:17 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Curious.....

Simply put:
What would you guys recommend for an old guy like me...lol, that wants the drop of coilovers without a rough ride in his DD sc4?
Old 01-13-07, 09:57 AM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silversprucesc3
Curious.....

Simply put:
What would you guys recommend for an old guy like me...lol, that wants the drop of coilovers without a rough ride in his DD sc4?
If your going for comfort i can alrady tell you TEIN CS (comfort spec).
Old 01-13-07, 01:03 PM
574-SC300
Pole Position

I have owned, installed, and driven on several coilovers/spring and strut combos. You do get what you pay for most of the time. When you install any coilover coming from a spring/strut combo, the difference is night and day, no matter how crappy the coilover is. Half of the D2, Nex, etc crap out within the first year on a heavier car because the internal dampening is crap. If you feel like buying coilovers every year or two to save a few hundred bucks go for it. But when you pay good money on a decent proven coilover, a name that has been around, most of the time it will last quite a few years pending how its used. There are always exceptions and thats why they come with warranties. There will always be companies out there to get your money so choose wisely. Reasearching takes maybe a few hours and its well worth it. Jump on google and search away. There are also suspension forums for this type of thing. Jump on any major 240sx board and search and you will find the good and the bad about most brands of coilovers.

Last edited by 574-SC300; 01-13-07 at 01:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Whats the real deal on coilovers under $1000