Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Whats the real deal on coilovers under $1000

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-07, 08:11 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Whats the real deal on coilovers under $1000

Ok so i hear half and half on coilovers, some say nah some say yah. So what are your personal experiences with these fully adjustable brands. MEGAN, K SPORT, D2, Attack, and NEX Also a possibility if i wanted to go a little over JIC MAGIC FLT-A1?
Old 01-09-07, 10:25 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a pretty extensive thread on Megan coilovers not too long ago. Some approved and some did not.
Old 01-09-07, 10:35 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know thats the problem, im thinking some people dont know what to look for in coilovers. As long as they dampen and dont have a bouncy rebound and dont blow out there pretty ok....
Old 01-09-07, 11:10 PM
Jarrett H
Rookie

I just installed a set of Megan Street coilovers on my car a few hours ago. The quality of the coilover is pretty amazing but nothing compared to the ride. It wasn't bouncy what so ever, and i really love how they feel. Before the megan i had HKS Hipermax Drag Coilovers $2,000....
Old 01-10-07, 01:51 PM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

so jarret, would you say for the price of the coilvoer, u got a good deal on some decent coilovers?
Old 01-10-07, 04:45 PM
slo86
Pole Position

if you have a bouncy rebound then your setup is overdamped (springs are too soft and damping rate is too high). so either get harder springs or turn down the damping rate to eliminate the bouncy rebound.
Old 01-10-07, 05:54 PM
Jarrett H
Rookie

Originally Posted by jgdynamics
so jarret, would you say for the price of the coilvoer, u got a good deal on some decent coilovers?
I think the performance and quality is amazing for the price. I had to weld up a new flange on a dp for the car and while we had it in the air, we installed the suspension. On our way back from the shop, i totally forgot that we just replaced the suspension. I could feel the little lines in the road just barely through the steering wheel and there wasn't any body roll with hard turns. I left the spring rate un adjusted and just lowerd the shock down into the tube. They felt great but the open dp was cooler.

Last edited by Jarrett H; 01-10-07 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-10-07, 06:34 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

you get wut u pay for.
Old 01-10-07, 06:52 PM
Jarrett H
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sly Guy Yu
you get wut u pay for.
lol did you know these are made by the same company that makes the Apexi N1 coilovers?
Old 01-10-07, 07:22 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jarrett H
lol did you know these are made by the same company that makes the Apexi N1 coilovers?
apex coils arent that good either.
Old 01-10-07, 07:40 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

would you put megan's on a daily driver? harsher than tein ss?
Old 01-10-07, 07:59 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Did you also know the Apexi N1 coilovers have different dampner internals that the Megans?
Old 01-10-07, 09:21 PM
Jarrett H
Rookie

Originally Posted by ChrisES
would you put megan's on a daily driver? harsher than tein ss?
My sc is my DD and they feel exactly the same as my Tein Flex. Without trying to sell them heh, they are less "bouncy" then my Tein on sectional roads.

Originally Posted by dejacky
Did you also know the Apexi N1 coilovers have different dampner internals that the Megans?
lol, thats like saying the engine internals in my tundra are different then the ones in my supra. They are manufactured by the same company at the same quality standards.

Originally Posted by Sly Guy Yu
apex coils arent that good either.
Which other coilover brands have you purchased, installed, and driven on your vehicles?

These have had great reviews from numerous owners for there price. They are not expected to be better then the higher end coilovers, but an inexpensive version/alternative that can hold its own. These have been proven to out perform cars with upgraded strut systems and the likes of brands like Tein. The only concern i could have at this point is how long they last.

Last edited by Jarrett H; 01-10-07 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-10-07, 10:20 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Which other coilover brands have you purchased, installed, and driven on your vehicles?

These have had great reviews from numerous owners for there price. They are not expected to be better then the higher end coilovers, but an inexpensive version/alternative that can hold its own. These have been proven to out perform cars with upgraded strut systems and the likes of brands like Tein. The only concern i could have at this point is how long they last.
1. Buddy clubs (S2000)
2. Koni Yellows/Swift spring combo (S2000)
3. Tein super drift spec (240sx)

Those are the ones driven on my own vehicles. Dont get me started on what i have tuned, installed, ridden in, TRACK tested.

I have not had too much experience with coilovers in SC's, but i can tell you because the SC's are much heavier, none of the cheap coilovers will last. Therefore buying a quality coilover system will benefit 1 much better in the long run.

Ofcourse the apex and megans have been proven to out perform cars with upgraded strut systems. Upgraded strut systems are made to perform only a little bit firmer, but staying somewhat close to stock. Tein suck, which has always been my point.
Old 01-10-07, 11:04 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

lol, thats like saying the engine internals in my tundra are different then the ones in my supra. They are manufactured by the same company at the same quality standards.
Incorrect again. The outer shell casings are made by the same company, but the internal dampening systems are completely different in that the Megan's suck and the Apexi's internal dampening system is much better.

Quick Reply: Whats the real deal on coilovers under $1000