Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Pads: TRD or Stock?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-01, 11:30 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pads: TRD or Stock?

Ok, I am going to replace my front pads since they are pretty worn down and it's time for new tires anyway (Dunlop SP5000's). I was wondering if the TRD pads are worth the additional $50, especially considering I am planning on keeping my existing stock rotors.

Is there any benifit with going with the TRD or should I stay stock? Thanks!
Old 11-06-01, 11:44 AM
The_Best_GS
Driver

Default STAY STOCK

I changed to the TRD pads 3 weeks ago. My old stock pads were not worn down much. (I changed the rotors and brakes 2500 miles ago) They were just squeeking alot so I decided to change the pads.

With the TRD brake pads I have NOT noticed any SIGNIFICANT improvement in stopping.

Also you will have to clean your rims alot (every two days) because of the excessive brake dust produced by the TRD pads.
Old 11-06-01, 01:46 PM
enginyr
Banned

I too need new brakes..My dilema is go with the EBC green stuff http://www.ebc-brakes.com/lexus.htm along with S.S. break lines or go with the Supra big break upgrage from Steve @ carson for $634 installed. Anyone oppinion would be a great help.
Old 11-06-01, 03:07 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have TRD pads put on after the stock ones wore out.

They're pretty good. ALOT OF DUST.

After a few weeks it's starting to dull down but I still feel it's alittle better than stock.
Old 11-07-01, 09:33 PM
KNKGS400
Pole Position

i also consider using ebc green stuff don't know anyone that used it on there lexus, but i do know that for the bimmer "green stuff" works wonders and cost less then trd pads...no dust
Old 11-08-01, 06:34 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Guys, here is the scoop:

I have a 1999 GS 300 and recently I instalelled 4 new cross drilled and slotted zinc coated rotors made by Bradi and EMC. I must tell you they look awesome and they don't rust sice I got them zinc coated. Just beautiful. Stock size with stock caliper which I have painted with Foliatec in silver wiuth my custom heat resistant lexus stickers applied to all four calipers. Look outstanding. xsuperjoex will testify to this as will hundreds of others who have purchased these stickers from me on clublexus and is300.net. only $17 in any color of your choice.

But back to the brakes:

I have EBC Greenstuff pads for the fromt (kevlar) and KVR Performance semi-metallic brake pads in the rear and the performance is UNBELIEVABLE!!!!
NO dust and the stopping power is much much better.
I also installed Impulse Racing Stainless Steel Brake Lines from my man Steve @ Carson Toyota and have the newest Motul synthetic racing brake fluid DOT 6.1

The total cost for me to do all this AND TOP NOTCH INSTALLATION was $700. One of the best investments I have made so far out of a lot of mods that I've done. I'm big on aesthetics and they look great but the performance and increased stopping power and resulting safety improvement is truly astounding.

I highly recommend going the route I did and my good freind xsuperjoex of bayonee has a nearly identical set-up on his monster aristo.

If you have questions let me know and if you want the stickers for the brake calipers I can get them to you in black, white, red, blue, yellow etc and they stick and look great either when you are stopped or rolling. You can really see in there very well and its looks like a brembo or wilwood set-up.

Peace- Out,

ted
Old 11-08-01, 07:56 AM
enginyr
Banned

Thanks ted..Very Informative.....I am planning on getting these off ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...item=597391132

allong with Steel brake lines, EBC brake pads, and stainless steel brake lines w/motul from steve. Steve has heard of the green stuff but doesn't carry it. Anyone know the cheapest place to get them???
Old 11-08-01, 09:44 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

they are the same exact ones that I have.

I got 4 rotors and mine are zinc coated. I think this is the same guy selling them that I got mine from b/c he's also in LA and the pic is the same.

I got all 4 rotors shipped to me for a total final price of $280.

EBC Greenstuff are the best you can get. Awesome stopping power and NO DUST AT ALL - NONEXISTANT!!!!
I got mine from TireRack for $90 for the front. Don't come for rear.
You might contact EBC dirtectly - they may get you a better price.

Peace,

Ted
Old 11-08-01, 11:02 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ted,

thanks a bunch for the info as i am about to get some good break stuff, this could not have arrive at a better time..

on ebay, the front rotors are listed $165 for the pair(i was wondering if i could pick them up in person since the guy is in LA?) also would you mind telling me where did you get the EMC rotors for the rear?

thanks man..
william
Old 11-08-01, 11:05 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

ted,

forgot one thing, where could i get the KVR rear pads?

thanks
Old 11-08-01, 11:15 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

emc rotors i got from race concepts somewhere in LA. I got all of my rotors there. he shipped the stuff to me in ct.

kvrperformance.com

they are canadian and also sell rotors that are really good.

their phone will be on the site.

peace,

ted
Old 11-08-01, 11:34 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

cool info, thanks
Old 11-08-01, 11:56 AM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

how much where the KVR pads?
Old 11-08-01, 01:23 PM
enginyr
Banned

Fellas what ever I have ever said about them canadians, I take back. KVR performance is the shiat...Sweet deal...Better than EBAY...Drilled front and rear rottors and rear padds shipped for $390. EBC green shiat, from their LA dealer open Road (877) 673-6960 for $90 Full breaking solution for under 5 bills my friends.
Old 11-08-01, 02:18 PM
ted920
Lexus Champion

make sure you get the stainless steel brake lines and motil rbf fluid.

the stainless steel lines are important.
they provide more pressure to the brakes thus dramatically improving your performance.

YOU'RE WELCOME GUYS.

Ted

post pics.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads: TRD or Stock?