Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

wiring worn through, please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-07, 04:29 PM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default wiring worn through, please help!!!

i have a problem, my coilovers were set too low and now the tires have worn through the wiring loom in the fender well. what kind of problems can this cause, since this has happened my hid's flicker and my alternator has gone out, could these be a result of some shorts caused by damp weather and exposed wires?
Old 01-23-07, 06:58 PM
sc400injen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't know, but my alternator went out due to the power steering pump was leaking on it and caused it to short. So just if you have a power steering leak look into it.

Hope this helps.

T
Old 01-23-07, 07:32 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sc400injen: uh the wires don't have anything to do with the alternator in the fender.

fortunesc: those wires are for ur airbag and something else i can't recall. best option is to resolder/crimp it back together and tip it up to the top portion of the fender or relocate the wiring into the engine bay
Old 01-26-07, 06:54 AM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

that whole harness in the fenderwell is for the airbags? theres like 50 wires in it, and it runs to the fuse box under the hood in which there is an alt. fuse and relay switch. anyways my car is at the local lexus dealership getting this problem fixed and the alternator replaced again if need be...
Old 01-30-07, 09:09 PM
Da Coupe
Driver

Just disconnect the wires from the fuse box (3 plugs if i remember) and re-route it alittle higher in the fenderwell where impossible for the tire to reach. Rubber grommet is kind of a pita. I also hammered flat that sharp strip of metal that looks like it can cut your tires. Riding low is not easy
Old 02-02-07, 11:28 AM
no2faber
Lead Lap

lol. No. it's not just for the airbags. Your alarm runs through there, window wipers, and a lot of other things. I think it's possible you won't even be able to drive your car if the right wires were chewed through in that harness.

It happened to me- i forgot to put the bumpstops in my aftermarket suspension. I had to get everything re-wired. I wouldn't even drive my car until you get it fixed if i were you.

And with Lexus. You better make sure they re-wire it, not just fix the wires. It's going to chew through again unless you re-wire or take out your suspension.
Old 02-02-07, 11:56 AM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine started to wear through but I ziptied it up and out of the way. I also rewrapped it for extra protection
good luck with the rewire
Old 02-02-07, 06:15 PM
Djdot2k
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah a lot runs through that harness, i would like to know exactly what runs through these wires, anyone have wiring diagrams that show what components these wires run to? Couple electrical issues i've got to look into.
Old 02-03-07, 07:37 AM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

so basically i found out the hard way that the black and yellow wire in the harness is what runs the charging system from the alt. i knew they werent all for the airbags, but someone said earlier that they were, thats why i said that. note to others: avoid rubbing through and ripping wires because it isnt cheap to fix! $410 is what it cost me to replace 4 wires in the harness. as soon as i can get some warmer weather here in iowa ill re-route the harness over the inner fenderwell, and flatten out whatever ridges are up there to try to get as much clearance as i can for the tires because i really would hate to have to raise the coilovers up another half inch or so... but im afraid i might have to...
Old 02-03-07, 08:46 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I went thru this a couple years ago...and yeah, that is THE wire harness for the car and controls EVERYTHING. Theres a thread in the main forum (If I recall correctly) with myself and others talking about re-routing.

My car has cut off on the freeway due to the harness being damaged. I had come to know the orange/black and yellow/ black wires very well back then LoL!!

Its an easy fix (now) but the problem had never come up here when it happened..so I was stuck on an island until I realized the damn harness was over my wheel

My Harness is cut in half and re-routed BTW. Multiple gauge wire spools, solder,shrink sleeves, jack stand, a few hours and a radio...you'll be good
Old 02-03-07, 09:12 AM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Emerald
I went thru this a couple years ago...and yeah, that is THE wire harness for the car and controls EVERYTHING. Theres a thread in the main forum (If I recall correctly) with myself and others talking about re-routing.

My car has cut off on the freeway due to the harness being damaged. I had come to know the orange/black and yellow/ black wires very well back then LoL!!

Its an easy fix (now) but the problem had never come up here when it happened..so I was stuck on an island until I realized the damn harness was over my wheel

My Harness is cut in half and re-routed BTW. Multiple gauge wire spools, solder,shrink sleeves, jack stand, a few hours and a radio...you'll be good
yeah it seems kind of dumb that they would route such a vital part of the car somewhere it could be so easily damaged... my car went down and out on my lunch break from work, in the burger king parking lot, and during the worst part of the year here in Iowa, WINTER!!!

i love the stance your car has BTW, did you have to do anything else, besides re-routing the harness, to the inner fenderwell to get it to sit that low without rubbing?
Old 02-03-07, 04:25 PM
RikTT
Pole Position

i just got my car back on the 31st from this..had to send it to a car electician DR.! i was slammed on teins...chewed through harness..driver side
wipers went/blown fuses/factory alarm went off spontaneously/climate dead/radio flickers(aftermarket) hit a bump and cluster blanks out..all happened b4 fixing.

i dropped the fender liner..at least 9 wires broken/shredded.attached all and routed the harness inside fender.went to start it and nothing.dash comes on but when i went to crank it went black. had to push start it(manual) and took it to eletrical mechanic. starter signal went.

all is good now
Ricky
Old 02-08-07, 08:09 PM
no2faber
Lead Lap

you know. there really should be a sticky in the suspension forum about this. So many people post pics of their lowered rides, but a lot of ppl (including myself) come back months later with this problem. It just doesn't get out there before people realize what's happening. Most ppl don't look through their wiring diagrams before they do suspension work--it wouldn't seem like a necessary step.

My car went down on the highway before too b/c of this. It is very dangerous if you're rubbing and you don't re-route. I agree that it was a bad idea on the engineers' part putting all those wires under that thin inner fender liner.
Old 02-20-07, 06:26 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Which fenderwell are these wires in?
How low can you go before you have this problem.
Do you take out the wheelwell liner to go this low?
Old 02-20-07, 10:31 PM
SCSJ
Lead Lap

mine is starting to go through, i heard it's alot of work to put ur harness in a different spot

Quick Reply: wiring worn through, please help!!!