Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

quick quesiton on changine the front lower ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-07, 02:44 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Honestly, I don't think Toyota/Lexus will do anything till someone gets seriously injured when the balljoint gives out (at high speeds, say the highway). As much as I hate to say it, with many of the 2GS's approaching the 100-120k mile marker, that day may come sooner than later. They always wait until something bad happens before they go and recall something. Just look at every other automotive company in the world, and how 90% of those recalls came to be.
Old 01-26-07, 02:52 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

well maybe the guy who here who had $8K worth of damge resulting from the Ball Joint Failure should write a statement, which we can submit with a petition, as well as anyone else who has had adverse experiences with the Ball Joints. I am by no means an Attorney and do not know the first thing but I don't want to "have-to" spend another 200-300 bucks on my car because the designer for got to use good ball joints. If anyone knows how to start the petition process, I am all in!!!!
Old 02-23-07, 10:21 AM
Jerry_Supra
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know of another place to purchase the ball joints online? The website recommended in the DIY article no longer carries the lower ball joints.
Old 02-23-07, 11:04 AM
smarti
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tip when replacing ball joints:
make sure to put threadlock on the 2 lower screws/bolts. after doing the balljoints a few days ago myself, i was driving around and heard this clunking noises when everytime i would go over bumps and dips. decided to jack up car and inspect the ball joints. i'm glad i did because i was able to unscrew the 2 lower bolts with my hand. they must have come loose with all the vibration and what not. went to pepboys and bought the red threadlocker and put them on the bolts. drove around a couple days,reinspected the bolts again and everything is nice and tight.

Last edited by smarti; 02-23-07 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-23-07, 11:07 AM
smarti
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry_Supra
Anyone know of another place to purchase the ball joints online? The website recommended in the DIY article no longer carries the lower ball joints.
i bought mine from lexus-parts.com
there's a discount code someone posted a while ago but still works.

Last edited by smarti; 02-23-07 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-23-07, 12:04 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

call carson toyota, they usually sell them for about $60-65 each.
i recall that the first gen GS had a recall for the lower ball joint. for the 2nd gen, all we got was a letter to go get them inspected. if you were within the warranty, the dealer would replace them. if not, you pay for everything.

i think most failure occurs after 80,000 miles.