Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New US Spec TSB For IS350 Brake Dust

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-07 | 01:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

No, still no TSIB of any kind for IS250 brakes.
Attached Thumbnails New US Spec TSB For IS350 Brake Dust-is250-brake-tsib-search-results.jpg  
Old 03-24-07 | 10:27 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I did the TSB break pad swap.

I can notice the difference in the breaking feeling. The new one doesn't bite as aggressive as the dusty ones. But I prefer it that way. The older one were too sensitive and I could never adjust to that level. The new one with the "reduced" performance works just fine for me!

I have been driving around over 100 miles after the change and there are noticeably less dust on the wheels!
Old 03-30-07 | 04:52 PM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Default For front AND rear brakes?

I posted this on all the other brake topics as well, but I read the TSB and it appears that this is only for FRONT brakes. Do they do ALL the pads or just the fronts? I'm having mine done next friday. I'm sick of cleaning my wheels CONSTANTLY. I just hope they dont give me crap for having only 25% left. I complained about it when i got the car in for the 5k service and they just laughed and said thats the way it is, but now I have 20k and i think they should still do it. Looks like im in for a mild confrontation, but one that i will win.
Old 03-30-07 | 06:48 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

You should be able to still do it. It is only for the fronts.
Old 03-30-07 | 07:29 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

OK so i've finally got to drive around with my new pads for more then just a trip home. Here's my thoughts:

1. Previously i had stated that I can't tell that much difference. I was wrong. Our old brake pads freaking worked great. The new ones feel like ...emmm hard to explain. STIG did a good job. They don't grab like the old ones, which is something I liked about the old ones. However, the new brake pads still brake pretty damn good. I guess this is due to everythting from the pads to our brakes themselves (rotors, calipers).

2. The Dust... It's less but still more then any sports car I have had. I don't go around braking hard either. I would say it's about 25% less dust then the previous pads. You other guys might be having better results.

In the end: I can't say one way or another. I was hoping for less dust, and better braking then this. If I had to do it again, I would wait till I had like 10-15k miles on my car before I swapped them. No need to rush out and do this if you can live with the original dust. YOu are still going to be cleaning your wheels every other day if you drive more then 50 miles. Or I guess just depends on how picky you are.

I know this review doesn't help much because I am not really leaning one way or the other. Sorry
Old 03-30-07 | 08:33 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

These new pads are pretty dusty also.

I have been driving in these pads for a week and now it's all dusty again.

I will snap some pictures if anyone wants to see it.
Old 03-30-07 | 08:50 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Here is the picture that I just took. About 300 miles of normal driving.
Attached Thumbnails New US Spec TSB For IS350 Brake Dust-dsc_0003.jpg  
Old 03-30-07 | 09:24 PM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Default that is actually pretty good....

Originally Posted by STIG
Here is the picture that I just took. About 300 miles of normal driving.
....compared to what mine would look like, i would say about 50% better. my wheel would just be almost BLACK by that time. 300 miles takes me about a week, so this seems pretty good.
Old 03-30-07 | 09:32 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by umpalumpa
....compared to what mine would look like, i would say about 50% better. my wheel would just be almost BLACK by that time. 300 miles takes me about a week, so this seems pretty good.
Yeah, I know what you mean.

But somehow, the picture doesnt really show it.

It's actually a bit dirtier than the picture shows.

But I am pretty happy with the new pads. It could be that they are so new and making much more dust than it actually should. Should be better for next 300 miles.

Last edited by STIG; 03-30-07 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-30-07 | 11:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I went to the drag races last night and did repeated stops from 100+ mph. I'm not seeing the dust you guys are. I am seriously curious what you are doing to generate so much dust. I just don't have it on mine.
Old 03-31-07 | 02:54 AM
DKB
Rookie

You can feel the difference not as much "bite"
But I drove the same distance before and after and my finger would be dirty wiping it before
After my finger was clean
Old 03-31-07 | 05:50 AM
Goldglv
Driver

That's true, I've had my new pads on for about a week now and have noticed they don't have as much "bite" as the old ones but I actually prefer that. You can now get the car to come to a nice slow stop without the car almost "jerking" to a stop if that makes any sense.

I did have to stop short once and I had no problems, I know someone in this thread was worried about not being able to stop short with the new brakes but no need to worry about that.
Old 03-31-07 | 08:36 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

lobux: Mine look just like STIG's after about 50-75 miles and I swear I don't brake that hard. I am not even in that much traffic. Mostly hwy driving.

How did you do at the races btw?
Old 03-31-07 | 09:05 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by combfilter
lobux: Mine look just like STIG's after about 50-75 miles and I swear I don't brake that hard. I am not even in that much traffic. Mostly hwy driving.

How did you do at the races btw?
May be the pads are still brand new and still breaking in?

And also that the dealer apply tire shine stuff which attract dust and dirts on the rim also.
Old 03-31-07 | 09:35 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Its also going to depend on the temps in your areas. Hotter pads will wear faster and cause more dust.

Quick Reply: New US Spec TSB For IS350 Brake Dust