Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New US Spec TSB For IS350 Brake Dust

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-07, 07:39 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good thing to hang on to just before the original brakes are done. The existing dust sucks...but here in the NW its the rainy season about half the year...so dirty is dirty.

Ceramics IMO are just as dusty as non-ceramic...the dust is just light in color so you don't notice it.

The way the TSB is written it implies (at least to me) that any degrdation in braking performace is likely under extereme conditions..>Since I don't drive it like I stole it...not a big deal
Old 01-30-07, 07:52 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know how Lexus is about replacing items that are nearly worn out, but I wouldn't expect them to replace a set of pads that are more than 30% used.
Old 01-30-07, 08:08 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Sorry I don't quite understand what this TSIB is...so... when I reach 40k miles and about 30% life on my brakes, I can complain and get the brakes replaced for free?
I recently got my front pads replaced and rotor resurfaced 4 days ago
Old 01-30-07, 10:47 PM
waynetech2
Pole Position

i guess i'll be one of the guniea pigs for these pads..i was reluctant to switch bc of the"decrease in performance" but the squealing was just too embarassing ... im getting them on tomorrow..ill let you guys/gals kno
Old 01-30-07, 11:02 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

man that sucks how about 250s shoot i hate the squealing it sounds soo gay when my car is new too makes me drive my other cars plus the dust is annyoing
Old 01-31-07, 06:38 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gernby
However, it isn't obvious if the EBD system learns which wheels loose traction first under hard braking to alter the EBD in the future. I would hope that the system would give the rear brakes more pressure as it figures out that the fronts consistently lock up much earlier than the rears. If it doesn't, then I would expect brake performance would be improved with lower Cf pads in the front.
Gernby, it would be better for the EBD to adjust itself on a case by case basis because of the variables. Just changes in road surface conditions due to seasons would affect braking and if the EBD kept learned data it would be wrong the next time it intervened.
Old 01-31-07, 10:40 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,067 Likes on 2,464 Posts

^^precisely. Try braking while pulling off the road with one side on tarmac and the other on gravel. The ABS has to adjust in fractions of a second to each braking event. The engineer optimises the system to reduce the number of iterations the control function needs, but when you try braking on mixed surfaces you'll find the limits pretty quickly.

A learning function would only help optimise the iterative cycle assuming the next stop was on a similar surface. If it isn't, the learning is for naught.
Old 01-31-07, 10:51 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Guys, there isn't any reason why EBD shouldn't learn. Most other systems in our car learn (ECM, tranny ECU, etc.), why not EBD? Just because a system learns doesn't mean it can't adjust quickly on the fly. I would just hope that the braking system would be able to take advantage of wider rear tires by applying more brake force to the rear even when ABS isn't engaged.
Old 01-31-07, 12:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,067 Likes on 2,464 Posts

It won't automatically apply more force because the tires are wider. It will automatically apply more force if it determines the rate of acceleration is too slow. The width of the tires is inconsequential, and their ability to brake depends on weight transfer and Cf with the road, not their size. Same with the front. The ABS recognises the rotational acceleration meeting a predetermined parameter relative to the acceleration of the vehicle itself and decides if lock up is impending. EBD just looks to balance braking force by distributing brake force relative to those same data. It doesn't need to learn, it just needs to know how to balance and do it quickly, accurately, and consistently.
Old 01-31-07, 07:04 PM
lexem
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Mama (lobuxracer) always had a way of explaining things so I could understand them." -forest gump
Old 01-31-07, 11:07 PM
DKB
Rookie

I stopped by the Lexus dealer today asked about the TSB they didnt know about it. I asked for them to look it up he came back read it to me I said It was "objectionable" and Bam I got an Appt to get them replaced.
In the mean time I saw my Salesman told him about it and he was on the phone calling his customers to let them know about it.
Old 01-31-07, 11:15 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DKB
I stopped by the Lexus dealer today asked about the TSB they didnt know about it. I asked for them to look it up he came back read it to me I said It was "objectionable" and Bam I got an Appt to get them replaced.
In the mean time I saw my Salesman told him about it and he was on the phone calling his customers to let them know about it.
Haha, if you believe that, my friend, you're easily fooled. The sales staff would definitely NOT be calling his/her customers to let them know of an issue that gets handled by complaint only, especially since there's technically nothing wrong with the original brakes. Salesmen get paid to sell, not stir up service appointments.

Oh, and welcome to ClubLexus!

Javier
Old 02-01-07, 12:45 AM
DKB
Rookie

When I explained it to him Im getting free brakes he asked how. I explained it to him and he said he had customers who have complained about the dust and thanked me for letting him know. It helps him out and makes him look good because he is looking out for his customers.
I was at his desk waiting for the parts dept to verify if another part came in and he left a message on an answering machine telling the person to call him about there brake dust. Everytime Im there we "hang out" the sales manager shoots the "spit" with me even the other salesman talk to me its friendly non hostile enviroment. Have you ever noticed when people car shop and get out of the car to look around the guy grabs the girls hand?? ... Why because they feel threatened almost like walking down a dark alley in the middle of the night. The guy has to protect the girl from the big bad salesman..
I didnt have a choice I had to buy from there.
I live on a 30 mile long Tropical Island in the middle of the Pacific where the closest Lexus dealer is 3000 miles away so there aint much competition so everyone is freindly .No reason not to be why be a dik?? ... Did I get a good price??? It was non negotiable but I got about 1k in freebies thrown in. So I was satisfied.
I sold new cars for 2 years in the DC area and I wish I started where there was no competition and the Infiniti dealer sells in 1 year that Lexus sells in a month and Lincoln Caddy and Mercedes were non exisitent and the BMW dealership sucks .....
Also you know when a car salesman has made it when all his sales are previous customers or refferals and he doesnt even have to go out to meet and greet or take an "up" and he is the top 2 in the dealership all he does is answer the phone to make appts

Last edited by DKB; 02-01-07 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-01-07, 06:21 PM
waynetech2
Pole Position

ok i had them switch the brakes on mine. i cant feel a diff, and i tried aggressive braking..not real hard stomp on it braking.. but still aggressive..no noticeable diff,..ive had them on for 2 days now..oh and no more squeaking....yet
Old 02-03-07, 01:11 AM
DKB
Rookie

You guys are making it like the IS brakes are inadequate to begin with.

Quick Reply: New US Spec TSB For IS350 Brake Dust