Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New US Spec TSB For IS350 Brake Dust

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-07, 11:44 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

any update on how people feel bout their new brakes~
Old 03-18-07, 02:30 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as others have already said, pedal work is increased. i find that the brakes are more progressive, which i like. i will be washing the car today and hopefully that will be the end of black wheels!
Old 03-20-07, 01:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,067 Likes on 2,464 Posts

I don't notice the pedal change. The brakes are still very light and work without any noticeable difference.

The difference in visible dust is phenomenal. I've driven five tanks of gas on this - including a trip from the Bay Area to San Diego and back - and it is hard to tell there is any dust on the wheels. I am not kidding when I say there is no comparision. The alternate pad delivers 100% of what I expect in a first class street brake pad. Good feel, practically invisible dust.

I've also tried a few emergency stops, both intentional and unintentional, and there is nothing at all to complain about for performance.
Old 03-20-07, 01:27 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks~~~ lobuxracer.. your response means a lot~
Old 03-20-07, 02:30 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I don't notice the pedal change. The brakes are still very light and work without any noticeable difference.

The difference in visible dust is phenomenal. I've driven five tanks of gas on this - including a trip from the Bay Area to San Diego and back - and it is hard to tell there is any dust on the wheels. I am not kidding when I say there is no comparision. The alternate pad delivers 100% of what I expect in a first class street brake pad. Good feel, practically invisible dust.

I've also tried a few emergency stops, both intentional and unintentional, and there is nothing at all to complain about for performance.
Awesome to hear! I am at 4600 miles now. I dunno if I should wait a little bit longer and get more use outta the current pads. Or just switch em out now with my 5k service.
Old 03-20-07, 02:38 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

I'm getting them done ASAP with my 7.5k service, just so I don't fall under the wrath of some spendthrift general manager. Also, I've been putting off a nice extensive car wash til I get my new brakes in I'm glad to hear performance doesn't suffer. These brakes seem to be a godsend from Lexus!!!
Old 03-20-07, 03:17 PM
viet658
Driver

I've had mine for a few weeks now and for everyday street driving, it is difficult to tell a difference in braking perfomance. As lobuxracer mentioned, these brakes emit a lot less brake dust, there is a noticeable difference in the amount of brake dust.
Old 03-20-07, 11:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,067 Likes on 2,464 Posts
Default Click on Single Post to see Photos better

As promised in another thread, here are the pics. They speak for themselves.

My only concern at this point is these new pads could be more aggressive with the rotors. Anyone getting their rotors turned for this TSIB is getting screwed out of additional rotor life. There is no need to turn them, it will only shorten their service life. Mine were not turned!

Last edited by lobuxracer; 03-21-07 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-21-07, 12:24 AM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Glad to hear about your dust free brakes. Any news about the 250's. Mine gets dusty after a day or two. Very frustrating.
Old 03-21-07, 07:26 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks lobux. I am getting mine done today at noon. I figured i would try to rack up some miles on the current new pads I have, but I just can't take it any more. i can't even drive 25 miles without brake dust getting all over.

Now that I read you haven't noticed much change in braking I am taking mine in. I had to get my car aligned and DRL's shut off any ways. Might as well have Lexus take care of this also.
Old 03-21-07, 01:02 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by is4fsr
Glad to hear about your dust free brakes. Any news about the 250's. Mine gets dusty after a day or two. Very frustrating.
I think dealers can work with out individually if they want. I recall my service advisor telling me an IS250 had come in for the same thing that my 350 was coming in for. I don't know if they just treated the TSB as one thing or what, but we had different brake pads.. soooo
Old 03-22-07, 12:13 PM
Goldglv
Driver

I'm getting the new pads put on my car now at the dealer as we speak. The dealer said I was the first customer to request the new pads at their dealership so he has no input on how they perform. I will post my thoughts after I get my car back and let you guys know what I think.
Old 03-22-07, 12:25 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So far I have drove about 25 mixed miles with my new ones. They don't seem to brake any different to me. Brakedust seems less. i still see some, but by now it usually looks like a rim soaked in the bottom of an ashtray.

I was also the first person at my dealership to get it done (sewell dallas). seems weird too, because there are LOT of is350's down here.
Old 03-22-07, 12:47 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great pics Lobuxracer!

The dust is ALOT less then before. I love them. No regrets.
Old 03-22-07, 03:07 PM
taylorjste
Pole Position

ive got about 10500 miles and im planning on doing the brake pad replacement at my next service.. ill be going to park place in grapevine.. i wonder if they have done any replacements yet under this TSB

Quick Reply: New US Spec TSB For IS350 Brake Dust