Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Has anyone had their shocks or coilovers' compression/rebound rates revalved?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-07, 04:43 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone had their shocks or coilovers' compression/rebound rates revalved?

Has anyone had their shocks/coilovers revalved to different compression/rebound rates?

I'm considering having my Bilstein PSS coilovers revalved to a softer setting. The PSS is valved pretty aggressively at (compression / rebound): 2660 / 1270 front and 2725 / 1455 rear per Steve at Bilstein.

In comparison the Tein CS v2 is set at 1450 / 605 both front and rear, and the HKS LS+ is 1712 / 502 front and 1273 / 335 rear. These rates are at full hard. These rates are what Tein and HKS gave me.

These are the spring rates (lbs per ft) each co. gave me for these systems front/rear:

Bilstein PSS 565 / 470
Tein CS v.2 504 / 448
HKS LS+ 559 / 504

I called Steve at Bilstein in Poway, CA to ask about different spring rates for the front to make it a little more compliant over the freeway expansion joints that seem to give the system fits. But he told me that the answer isn't lower spring rates - the answer is revalving the shocks due to having such high compression and rebound rates or the PSS.

He said the digression is too high and there is not enough by-pass in the system - this is what causes the bumpiness on the not so smooth freeways. He said there needs to be more bleed in the system for a more compliant ride.

Soooo -- anyone ever had their shocks revalved? And what results did you experience both good and bad. Also anyone want to comment on lowering the compression / rebound rates and the effect this will have on the ride.

Thanks, Scott
Old 02-03-07, 05:27 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never done it, however.....

Tein has ability to do it and i don't think it's feasible on any set if the only reason is comfortable ride.

Sell PSS and get Tein or whatever you like, you'll save money this way
Old 02-04-07, 09:27 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEXSOOS
I never done it, however.....

Tein has ability to do it and i don't think it's feasible on any set if the only reason is comfortable ride.

Sell PSS and get Tein or whatever you like, you'll save money this way

... Well I spoke directly with Steve at Bilstein and he is the one who suggested I just get the PSS revalved. Bilstein does it themselves in Poway, CA, which is close for me. He also said that during the process they do a complete rebuild with new seals and oil, etc... The price is only $75 per shock - so $300 total. He told me they do it all the time and by changing the compression/rebound rates the shock will be softer and more compliant over the freeway joints. See my first post for more info on this.

Really it's just like on the Teins when you adjust the **** to softer or harder - whats happening on the Teins is the compresson/rebound rates are changing to softer or harder with each turn. If you notice my first post you will see how the PSS rates are much highter than Tein or HKS, but the spring rates are rather close. Thus, the PSS is stiffer than Tein due to the higher compression / rebound rates. So, revalving will bring it to the softer side according to Steve at Bilstein.

Just wanted to know if anyone has done this before and if they were pleased with the outcome. Or my other option is to sell the PSS and go with say the Tein CS system. I'm more of a set it and forget it guy so I'm leaning toward revalving the Bilsteins. But, if I had it done and it wasn't to my liking, I'm out more dollars to have it done a second time to fine tune it than I would be to just get the CS now and sell the PSS.

If anyone wants to comment on the difference in quality between the Tein and Bilstein products I would be interested in this. After searching the board on Tein it seems there are a couple camps - a lot of folks are very happy with their CS system -- and then there are those who say Tein's products are "junk," "cheap," "garbage," "overrated and over priced" and other explitives that are not nice to say. I have however never seem a post from someone backing up the "Tein is garbare and uses cheap parts" with actual examples of this to supstantiate their claim or comparing them to other vendors parts. It just seems to be their opinions such as the Ford / Chevy debate on which ones stinks the most. No hard facts. Anyone really know?

P.S. I do like how on the PSS it uses the stock upper mounts. No one complains of these making noise - however, I have seem numberous posts of those with the Tein upper mounts complaining of them getting noisey, even from those with the CS system that have the rubber inserts. Flex systems seem natorious for the noise. Anyone want to comment on this?

The PSS seems more staight forward which could translate into longer life, less noise, less problems - not so much to go wrong. And a lifetime warranty to boot! This says alot about the co. and it's belief in it's products. They must use quality parts to issue a lifetime warranty. And Tein's warranty is only a year - makes you wonder if some of those Teins are garbage posts are true ... Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-04-07, 10:38 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Really it's just like on the Teins when you adjust the **** to softer or harder - whats happening on the Teins is the compresson/rebound rates are changing to softer or harder with each turn. If you notice my first post you will see how the PSS rates are much highter than Tein or HKS, but the spring rates are rather close. Thus, the PSS is stiffer than Tein due to the higher compression / rebound rates. So, revalving will bring it to the softer side according to Steve at Bilstein
I understand what you're talking about, but Tein has ability to revalve their shocks as well as Bilstein, i'm not talking here about adjustability by turning a **** to softer or harder.

If Bilstein charge for this job is $75.00 per each, than thats cheap. Tein will charge you about $150.00/each to do so. $300 compare to $600 is huge difference and this is what i meant in my original post "not feasible"

If that was your main concern, than go for it - $300 is a cheap insurance for refreshing your shocks + you're getting spec's you want
BTW, i don't think you'll find anybody else on this forum to answer your question this nature

LMK how it turns out when you're done

- Jake

Last edited by LEXSOOS; 02-04-07 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-04-07, 01:04 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Hey Jake,

I see in your sig that you have Tein CS on your car -- how do you like the setup? Too soft too hard - just right? Also, any noise or problems with them? Thanks for the info,

Scott
Old 02-05-07, 06:15 AM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scott1258

I'm considering having my Bilstein PSS coilovers revalved to a softer setting. The PSS is valved pretty aggressively at (compression / rebound): 2660 / 1270 front and 2725 / 1455 rear per Steve at Bilstein.

In comparison the Tein CS v2 is set at 1450 / 605 both front and rear, and the HKS LS+ is 1712 / 502 front and 1273 / 335 rear. These rates are at full hard. These rates are what Tein and HKS gave me.
These figures are not enough to give a good impression of the differences of the shocks.

At what speed did they test the shocks?
You need a lot more values, before you can draw a shock dyno plot.

By the way, the Bilstein PSS are valved for a more sporty feeling, whereas the CS and LS+ are more focused on comfort.
Bilstein shocks typically have a very steep curve, means that they feel relatively stiff at low speeds.
Old 02-05-07, 08:47 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

i have never sent back shocks to be revalved. so i can't answer your question.

i've had PSS in the past and they were too darn stiff for my liking and my wife absolutely hated riding in my car. I sold the PSS and bought HKS LS+ which was much better.

I can tell you that the PSS out handled the HKS but i think they both have different applications.

Ed (lexforlife) also had PSS but later changed to Tein Flex. you can PM him to ask him why he changed over but it may be that he wanted to lower his ride more.

i guess you have to ask yourself what kind of ride quaility you want. one thing nice about the HKS is, if you know you're headed to the canyons, i can stiffen up the valves and return them back to my comfort settings when i get back.

Last edited by corkycal; 02-05-07 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-05-07, 09:00 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HKGS300
By the way, the Bilstein PSS are valved for a more sporty feeling, whereas the CS and LS+ are more focused on comfort.

What I would like to accomplish, if I had them revalved, would be to bring more comfort to the PSS coils (like the Teins and HKS have). I was wondering if anyone knew if the revavling would acctually do this. I want to keep their sportiness but bring them down a bit and soften them up.

HKGS300 - Yes, there is a lot more to the characteristics of a shock than just those numbers. But, that's what the different co.'s gave me and I thought it would be a good basis for comparison against a couple of known comfort type coilovers (spring rates and compression/rebound values). Really just wondering if anyone had ever done this, and if I had Bilstein change the valving rates if this would soften up the PSS.
Old 02-05-07, 03:03 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Scott1258,

I actually downgraded from Tein Flex to CS, Flex were to stiff for daily driving in Chicagoland area, that was a reason for me to sell them and switch to CS, however
i was totally disappointed with CS and regreted selling my Flex setup for awhile, but i was able to find cure for my desire of driving with low body roll but still comfy on Chicago roads.
Tein CS and TRD Blue sway bars are the closest combination of what i wanted, i'm very pleased with a outcome. It took me few months of mixing and matching all different sway bars, but finally i found the one i like the best.
Some of us will not agree with what i'm running currently (suspention wise) like, CS is too soft for TRD sway bars, but i'm different so....

I base mine opinion uppon my own expirience, i feel safe that way

BTW, i like CS and TRD combination, if it answers your question

- Jake
Old 02-05-07, 03:12 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scott1258
What I would like to accomplish, if I had them revalved, would be to bring more comfort to the PSS coils (like the Teins and HKS have). I was wondering if anyone knew if the revavling would acctually do this. I want to keep their sportiness but bring them down a bit and soften them up.

HKGS300 - Yes, there is a lot more to the characteristics of a shock than just those numbers. But, that's what the different co.'s gave me and I thought it would be a good basis for comparison against a couple of known comfort type coilovers (spring rates and compression/rebound values). Really just wondering if anyone had ever done this, and if I had Bilstein change the valving rates if this would soften up the PSS.
According to your first post the LS+ spring rates are similar to the LS+.
Best thing, but probably difficult to achieve, is to get a front and rear LS+ shock and put these on a shock dyno and then ask Bilstein to revalve the PSS similar to the LS+.

So yes, revalving is a feasible option