Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Supra/SC Control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-01, 06:26 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Supra/SC Control arms?

I have no idea...
I would like to install anti-sway bars, but as far as I know there aren't any anti-sway bars for the SC400.

Since it's looking like I'm going to need to replace my control arms on my SC400, is it possible to use Supra (upper and lower?) control arms and use an aftermarket Supra anti-sway bar?

Also, I was browsing some older threads and I guess it's pretty easy to replace the lower control arms, how hard is it to replace the upper control arms? What else should I buy when I do the replacement myself?

ps. I have to do the replacement myself, i love working on the 'ol SC
Old 11-14-01, 07:34 PM
SCV8
Instructor

I've been looking for Supra control arms,and they're hard to find,I've heard that the LS front swaybar will work as an upgrade to the SCs ,but I haven't tried it to be sure.SC300Turbo(I think)has the Supra rear swaybar on his SC,it's more effective than the original one.
My Supra springs/shocks should soon be on their way,and I'll post the results of the install.
Old 12-29-01, 09:28 AM
Rob_O
Rookie

Originally posted by SCV8

My Supra springs/shocks should soon be on their way,and I'll post the results of the install.
Any updates on this?

Rob_O
Old 01-03-02, 06:36 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Rob,
The install was very simple,took me a couple hours,and now the car sits a little lower(maybe a half an inch),rides very close to what it was like before,but handles WAY better,no floaty action.
It's very similar to the AMG Mercedes cars,but for $100,I'd say it has been the best mod yet(next to the air nozzle scissor-trim).
Highly recomended,as the Supra forum has a regular showing of those who've taken off the original suspensions and are willing to let you clean out their garages.
Old 01-16-02, 10:03 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SCV8,

Could you clarify? You installed 4 Mkiv Supra stock springs/struts into the SC4? Correct. Did you change the sway bars? The car is just a tad bit firmer?
Old 01-16-02, 10:04 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Gang,

Looking at my HiperRev for the Soarer....there is a rear strut bar made for the SC...can anyone get this bar in the US?
Old 01-18-02, 05:02 PM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

shin kai racing
Do a search for shinkairacing in google. They offer many hard to find parts for imports at decent prices.
Old 01-18-02, 06:45 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Default No more float!

The installation of the shocks/springs was pulled off without a hitch;no other changes had to be made,ride height is very close to the stock SC,maybe a half an inch lower.
By doing some math,I figured the new springs to be about 15-20% stiffer,but the shocks appear to be softer,and have much more precise control,so the ride isn't compromised much.
The Supra rear swaybar is alot stiffer than the Stock one,and this made more of a difference in the ride than the springs/shocks did,but I love the handling now,it's the way it should've been.
The car rides alot like the newer AMG Mercedes cars.
The best mod yet for less than one new Koni($160).
I really do like the idea of having OEM parts,with the much better developed engineering,and quality control than the aftermarket stuff,I haven't worked on cars everyday for 20 years to not learn anything from it.
Old 01-23-02, 05:46 PM
amati5
Driver

SCV8,

Sounds like the Supra sway bar is the solution since no one makes sway bars for SC. Now that you have a stiffer sway bar in the back , what about the front? You've reduced the body roll in the rear area, but the front area still have lots of body roll. What kind of effect did you feel? under, over or neutral steer ?

Thx
Old 01-25-02, 07:56 PM
SCV8
Instructor

The rear can be provoked to step out,but now it's much more gradual instead of the way the stock stuff just leaned over until hitting the bumpstops,then snapping out all at once.It's very nuetral until you make the car do otherwise.
The car now has stock wheels and tires,but will be getting some Supra-sized wheels/tires here in another month or so,and that should make it handle even better,allowing more power to be put down in the corners.
The Supra went up against some pretty serious contenders as a sports/GT car,now I can appreciate what must have went into developing the suspension to get it that way.
The best part,for me anyways,is that the car no longer wanders on the freeway,and I suspect that was intentional since the Supra came with some pretty large wheels/tires.Hopefully it still works that way after I put my new wheels on.
Old 01-28-02, 11:00 AM
amati5
Driver

Thx SCV8.
Old 01-28-02, 01:06 PM
cupete
Pole Position

SCV8,

Can you provide step by step instructions on how to change the sway bar on SC400? When you upgrade your sway bar, did you use the same linkage (tiny meta bar that links from sway bar to the suspension unit) that was used on SC400? Was this upgrade pretty easy to do for a normal people? Another word, do you think a person like me (I've only done oil changes on SC400 before) can upgrade the sway bar on SC400? What do you think of changing both front and rear sway bars on SC400 and where can I get these sway bars? Toyota dealer?

Peter~
Old 01-28-02, 03:12 PM
amati5
Driver

Peter,

Look under the car and locate the bars. Since its' gonna be straight swap, you can almost tell if it's easy or not by seeing how many other parts need to be removed before you can remove the bar, ranging from 0 to bunch of things. Usually the front is harder because of the engine components, hoses harness, air cond hoses harness, brake hoses harness, etc.....

The tricky part is, you have to let the car settle by rolling it back and forth and rest at a neutral height before you can tighten the end links with certain torque while the car is still on ground. When the car is on ground, you have little room to work with those end links. Usually you don't need to change the end links unless specified. You don't need skill to do this, but hands coordination is a plus.

This is the worst part, no one sells sway bars for SC, unless you want to try the supra's like SCV8 mentioned.

Last edited by amati5; 01-28-02 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-28-02, 03:56 PM
cupete
Pole Position

Thanks Amati5,

I was look at the front/rear sway bars the other day and it looked pretty easy to swap the sway bar, except the front ones, I didn't want to uncover the plastic covers in front to examine the front sway bar.

I wonder how much the factory front/rear sway bars cost (less than $160 for one like SCV8 mentioned?) and if there are any aftermarket supra front/rear sway bars available...

Peter~
Old 01-28-02, 04:09 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Unless you change it all like I did,I couldn't be sure of the results,and I wouldn't want to see you get into a car that oversteers to just drive around in when you're not used to it.
The front swaybar was the same,so there,you're done up there.
The rear can be purchased at a junkyard,where you'll need to be sure and get the rearmost two subframe bushings,as these are the mounting area for the new swaybar.With the car supported on jackstands,the jack can then be placed under the third member(differential)to support it while you swap out the subframe bushings.
The rear mufflers need to be removed to get the old swaybar out,so do that,then put in the new swaybar,using the SC endlinks,and you might want to put some bolts back in the holes from the original bar's mounting;I think water may be able to get in possibly.
The Supra roadrace guys often use that stock rear bar,and only upgrade the front.

Quick Reply: Supra/SC Control arms?