Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

before i replace the rack

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-07 | 12:02 AM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default before i replace the rack

bassicly my rack is leaking from inner tie rods. the bellows boots are all eatin away from the ps fluid. is there a cheap solution to this. im a machanic and dont want to buy a new rack. is there seals that i can buy that are behind the inner tie rods or something or jus by new inner tie rods and boots?
Old 02-13-07 | 01:49 AM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

first stop driving on it. second if you didnt skip a teeth or break one yet. you can remove teh whole rack and pinion and bring it to a shop to rebuild for you it will be just like new when you get it back and it usually takes like 2 hours so you will get it back in the same day. i had the same problem as you and had it rebuilt by a local shop. for $45.00 much cheaper than buying a new rack and pinion.

oh if your a mechanic they make rebuild kits but why get all dirty and stuff just let someone else do it for cheap and they repaint your rack so it looks brand new. remove the rack is very easy
Old 02-13-07 | 09:52 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw a seal kit on Lexus of Pembroke Pines site-- but it was $125 or so...
Their prices are very good too, but maybe not for that part.

The simple answer is, yes, they do make seal kits, but I haven't checked for this one.

You COULD go to a lex dealer, and find the part #--- It will be a Toyota Part # too-- and then search on Toyotapartscheap.com under that part #....

Should interchange with several toyota racks...

Good luck. If the one I installed ever starts leaking, I'll just replace the seals. My car was involved in a frontal collision and I think that's the reason my rack is leaking on that one side from the impact.

When they're taken care of, who knows how long a rack will last without leaky seals.
Old 02-13-07 | 09:56 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Here You Go Man--

R&P Seal Kit- Under the Toyota Part #04445-24051 -- $99

Last edited by MJHSC400; 02-13-07 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-13-07 | 10:06 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

The previous part # I listed was what the Lexus Parts Desk gave me for a steering rack seal kit, so maybe it includes both sets of seals listed below.
Furthermore, the same part # can be found as a toyota part-- like I listed.
Lexus stated $148 over the phone, but their site is cheaper by a few $$...

There seems to be two other kits listed on Lexus Pembroke Pines site too:

Valve Seal Kit= $39

Steering Gear Seal Kit= $86

So now I'm confused, as I can't say which one would fix the problem...

Hopefully someone knows.....
Old 02-13-07 | 09:01 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

buy a rack from gazi thats what im going to do very very very good price PM him hes the man
Old 02-14-07 | 06:59 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Seals are cheaper than a rack. And buying a used rack doesn't exactly guarantee you anything. Unless it's very low mileage from a pristine car.
Old 02-16-07 | 11:13 PM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
Seals are cheaper than a rack. And buying a used rack doesn't exactly guarantee you anything. Unless it's very low mileage from a pristine car.
I just purchased one from him with 70k I believe, should be an improvement over mind with 160k, worst comes to worst I can always get the $99 seal kit and seal up mine and than have it installed. I'm also doing the diazen steering bushings.
Old 02-17-07 | 08:55 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I did the same, with good results so far. I believe mine was leaking (153k) from a previous impact to the front pass. side (more front than side) that was apparently pretty severe --- The driver side wasn't leaking at all--

The rack I bought supposedly has 60k miles on it-- so no leaks and nice and tight tie-rods too--

I'm not up to speed on the rebuild process on one of these racks though, and just don't know how tough it can be to do--

I imagine you would only need one of those seal sets to fix the leak next to the boots-- and it's pretty cheap compared to a new rack.

I do have my original sitting on the porch in a box, and am interested in re-sealing it and selling it to someone that needs one for cheap-- or I may just sell it as-is for $75 or something---
Old 02-17-07 | 09:19 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Has anyone actually purchased any of these seal kits? I can't seem to find ANY info on this on the lexus of pembroke pines website!
Old 02-17-07 | 09:51 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

It's in there-- you just click steering, then rack I think, then it shows the parts-- two different seal kits-- one is $88 and the other is $35-- I imagine the one that seals next to the boots is the $88 set but not sure-- Either way, the toyota version of the kit comes with both sets for $99 -- just search under the part # I listed at toyotapartscheap.com --
Old 02-17-07 | 09:54 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

This what you're talking about? Is that OEM toyota part or aftermarket?
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214001
Old 02-17-07 | 05:44 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

The part # I listed-- (look up) is a Lexus/Toyota part #-- the Toyota # includes the same parts--

Undoubtedly, many components are shared in this car with some trucks/suv's of similar weight-- (Like a T100 or even a smaller sized older pickup)

This is pretty normal that the seals will fit multiple steering racks from Toyota and Lexus.

Enjoy the work-- It should be fun--
Old 02-23-07 | 06:13 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

What had happened was.........

What did happen with it-- ??

btw-- when I said it prob shares parts with other toyotas, I meant rack seals and those smallish sorta gadgets, not the actual rack itself, though they may share a variation of it w/o speed sensitive steering--
Old 04-06-07 | 09:30 AM
BobbyB
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sc dRifta
first stop driving on it. second if you didnt skip a teeth or break one yet. you can remove teh whole rack and pinion and bring it to a shop to rebuild for you it will be just like new when you get it back and it usually takes like 2 hours so you will get it back in the same day. i had the same problem as you and had it rebuilt by a local shop. for $45.00 much cheaper than buying a new rack and pinion.

oh if your a mechanic they make rebuild kits but why get all dirty and stuff just let someone else do it for cheap and they repaint your rack so it looks brand new. remove the rack is very easy

Can you tell us what kind of shop will do the rebuild....?

Quick Reply: before i replace the rack