Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bilstein or Eiboch shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-01, 10:20 AM
JustGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bilstein or Eiboch shocks?

I have the Eibach springs with stock shock and I have been thinking about getting some better shock. I have read that CL members like the Bilstein shock and the Eiboch springs combo. I was wondering if anyone uses Eiboch Spring and Eiboch shocks? I would think that the Eiboch shocks would be designed for the springs and would be better then the Bilstein shocks with Eiboch springs.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 11-15-01, 10:52 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt,

are you sure that Eibach makes shocks? the reason that mnay here use the bilsteins to complement the eibachs, or HR because the Bilsteins has been in the shock business for many many years. and its products are race proven, one of the best in the world, if not the best. even many auto co ask the bilsteins to amke shocks for them.

i am no longer able to get the Bilsteins at a great deal as i had in the past fro many guys here. if you decide to go this route with the Bilsteins, take a look at the GS classified. "silvergsguy" has a set, i think brand new, that he picked up from me in the past for $425, and he decided to go coilsovers i think. he is selling below that, which is a GREAT deal.

william
Old 11-15-01, 11:12 AM
JustGS
Driver School Candidate

I know Eiboch makes shocks as well but I am not sure if they make a shock for the GS4. The one thing I am worried about is I don't want to make the ride to harsh. Do the Bilstein shock give a harsh ride? Are the shocks hard to intall yourself?

Thanks for the info,

Matt
Old 11-15-01, 04:25 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Matt - The bilsteins definitely do not give a harsh ride at all. I have the bilstein sports from gs4will with the stock springs and they made a very noticeable improvement in handling with no harshness whatsoever. The ride is more controlled and the "freeway float" is just about totally gone. Shocks on the GS just look a bit more involved than it used to be so I would think unless you are really mechanically inclined with the right tools it is better off left to someone who specializes. For a constrast, sway bars look about as easy as it gets.
Old 11-15-01, 05:11 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Matt,

i will add a few points here:

1. ride quality can be a subjective term. but 95% of bilsteins users here do not claim their ride as harsh, but firm. if this is a concern to you, opt for the l-tuned shocks, they are very comfortable, but still improve the handling aspect.

2. if Eibach makes shocks, make sure they are the correc model g for the GS.

3. the install is not hard, but as ron said, you need the right tool. so for ~$150-200 for all 4 corner, i would just let a good tech guy do the job.

william
Old 11-15-01, 06:01 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Bilstein (thanks to GS4Will), and Eibach spring. The ride is still to soft for my taste. After a month of drive, I am changing my opinion. Its the perfect setup for everyday driving.. Not to harsh .. not to soft... No more float..

If you prefer to remains comfortable ride, don't even think about upgrade the sway bar... they will make you feel every imperfection on the surface of the road...
Old 11-15-01, 06:22 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Shin,

i am just glad that you are enjoying the ride. you are right, the sways really make you "feel" the road.....
Old 11-15-01, 06:26 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want another 0.5" inch drop on my Car. Does anyone know any good sport stiff spring that will drop about 1.5"?