Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Is it the steering solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-07, 09:49 PM
GliTCH
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it the steering solenoid?

Here's what happened:

Noticed some major play in steering. Sometimes I'd have to hold the steering wheel to the left, and sometimes the right, in order to go straight.

Took it in to a shop. Said it was a tie-rod end. Had them replace it, and low and behold the car still had the same problem. Noticed nothing different.

Took it back, had them look at it again, and this time they told me it was actually the steering rack. Told them to do it if they could take the $300 I paid for the previous repair off the new repair cost.

Got the car back a day later. Drove it, got home when the steering became really stiff and I noticed the car was leaking power steering fluid. At this point I was pissed. Called the shop, had them tow it the next morning at their expense, and they got it up on the lift, took the steering rack solenoid off and showed me that it had a busted O-ring. Waited 4 hours while they were able to get a kit replacement. Got the car back, and immediately noticed the steering was stiffer than usual. Got on the subject of what fluid should have went in there (noticed that the bottle was marked "power steering fluid") and I argued with the guy for a bit when he told me that power steering fluid is the same as Dextron ATF, and then I left.

I still think the car isn't right. Steering is really hard when the car isn't moving, I almost have to fight the thing. As I understand it, the solenoid gives you variable-assist, and since I apparently don't have this now what the hell does that mean?
Old 02-23-07, 05:04 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look under the hood-- There is a plug next to your driver side exhuast manifold on the input shaft housing on the top of the steering rack-- but the plug is up high on the unit, and you can reach it with your hand ---- by squeezing it b/t the firewall and the manifold -- (when car is cold is recommended) -- Once you get your hand down in there, you should be able to plug the speed sensitive connector in if it is unplugged as I suspect--

I had mine on jackstands, and while running with the plug disconnected, it was very hard to turn the wheel with the tires off the ground-- much less sitting on pavement--

So the plug is what I suspect-- and should fix the hard steering problem.

As far as the leak goes-- they may not have tightened the fittings well enough-- or it may just be fluid that is left over and is just dripping off the rack.

Either way, they broke it, they fix it-- even if the BBB needs to get involved--

The plug should be easy to find and diagnose though--

I agree on using ATF though, but I'm not sure if it will hurt it if you use p/s fluid instead. BUT-- the cap does say DEXRON III fluid-- so its a no brainer to figure out what to use.

Good luck--

I'm dealing with a shop right now on an alignment issue-- and I've gone back 2 times already with no results-- but they have a brand new machine now, that does up to 20" wheels instead of 16.5's --- so maybe it'll be better this time-- hopefully so--