Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Jiggery ride?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-07, 08:44 PM
kkfoto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Jiggery ride?

Does your IS have that jiggery ride?

Mine does, especially on not soo smooth road.
Old 02-26-07, 08:57 PM
BlitzIS350
Pole Position

jiggery? care to elaborate? also, are you dissatisfied about the ride quality? if so, did you take your car out on a test drive b4 you bought it? just throwing out some questions out there.
Old 02-26-07, 09:06 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, at speed the IS gets easily upset on less than perfect road surfaces and wants to move around a bit. It just gets unplanted and a bit jiggly. That's why it is never confused for a BMW 3 series in the handling department. It's not something a quickie test drive would uncover.
Old 02-26-07, 09:12 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Yep, at speed the IS gets easily upset on less than perfect road surfaces and wants to move around a bit. It just gets unplanted and a bit jiggly. That's why it is never confused for a BMW 3 series in the handling department. It's not something a quickie test drive would uncover.
at speed being... 50+? 70+? 100+?
Old 02-26-07, 09:53 PM
uthatch
Driver

Busy is the word I use to describe it. I never felt like it was unplanted or unstable, but I think there is too much motion in general.

There never seems to be a hard hit over any bumps and it's not really harsh, it just seems too...well, busy. I think if the first 3/4" or 1" of travel was a little softer, the car would feel much nicer on the highway.

I'm not complaining, I really like the car, but to me this is it's worst characteristic.
Old 02-26-07, 10:03 PM
duckduck
Pole Position

I agree with the "busy" description. The ride isn't harsh...but it does seem to want to bounce around a bit. A little too much for my liking (enough for me to buy some TEIN CS coilovers)
Old 02-26-07, 10:08 PM
uthatch
Driver

Originally Posted by duckduck
I agree with the "busy" description. The ride isn't harsh...but it does seem to want to bounce around a bit. A little too much for my liking (enough for me to buy some TEIN CS coilovers)
Did you install the coilovers and did they help the ride? I'm not looking for all out cornering performance-I'm wondering about the busy ride.
Old 02-26-07, 10:24 PM
khoongy
Driver

yea my ride's a bit bumpy as well. oh well, i blame the damaged CA roads. but for such an overpopulated state, i'm not surprised at the road's condition.
Old 02-26-07, 10:46 PM
Lilflip#2
Pole Position

mine is the same on higher speeds- 75+. roads here suck though so i guess that could be the problem

but also my car has a bad pull to the right. at first it wasnt that bad but it has gotten worse.
Old 02-26-07, 11:18 PM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I changed to 225/50/17 allround (Same size as 3GS) on stock 17 inch rims and it transfomed the ride of my IS250. Also means I can rotate the tires......One more plus, filling the front wheel arches gives it the lowered look!
Old 02-27-07, 04:52 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by webra
I changed to 225/50/17 allround (Same size as 3GS) on stock 17 inch rims and it transfomed the ride of my IS250. Also means I can rotate the tires......One more plus, filling the front wheel arches gives it the lowered look!
Webra,

I had thought about going up to 225/50/17 myself!

I'm happy to hear it helped the ride, as I would also say that "busy" is the best description I've heard.

Do you have any rubbing?

Thanks,
TripleL
Old 02-27-07, 06:41 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Triple L,

If you feel the ride is busy, then the change will surprise you. As is, the IS rides better than the e90 three series with the runflats, but after the change, it soaks up many of the imperfections of the road, that a 45 series tire struggles with. It is much calmer. On top of that, every bump is a slightly smaller one since the tire diameter of the front wheels have gone up. I actually prefer the steering feel with this set up!

Yes, there is some rubbing, from a protrusion in the wheel well liner moulding. A minute with a heat gun and a mould solved it easy. I used the back end of a car alarm siren to give it the factory moulded look.

Lastly, everyone thought i lowered my ride! One more thing. its quieter too.

Originally Posted by TripleL
Webra,

I had thought about going up to 225/50/17 myself!

I'm happy to hear it helped the ride, as I would also say that "busy" is the best description I've heard.

Do you have any rubbing?

Thanks,
TripleL
Old 02-27-07, 01:25 PM
duckduck
Pole Position

Originally Posted by uthatch
Did you install the coilovers and did they help the ride? I'm not looking for all out cornering performance-I'm wondering about the busy ride.
Unfortunately, I haven't installed my coilovers yet. I'm getting them installed next Tuesday. I'll let you know the results.
Old 02-27-07, 03:15 PM
uthatch
Driver

Originally Posted by duckduck
Unfortunately, I haven't installed my coilovers yet. I'm getting them installed next Tuesday. I'll let you know the results.
Yes please do...I'll be curious to see if the ride improves.
Old 02-27-07, 03:52 PM
kkfoto
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2006 IS250AWD with stock tires, 7000Miles, bought it new. On smooth surfaces, it rides just as quiet and smooth as any car I'v driven and ridden. I love driving the car, dont get me wrong.

On small pumps at any speed, and I feel like I'm ridding a bicycle. The car doesn't rattle..but there is that little shaky , jiggery feel to the car. This was reported by multiple professional car reviewers but I didn't see their reviews until after I bought the car.

I always felt the stock tires on the IS250 is the wrong tire, and thinking about replacing them with something else.

Quick Reply: Jiggery ride?