Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Drill and sloted rotors on the rear clicking (HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-07, 12:55 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

lol, I've had experience.
Old 05-02-07, 01:13 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i have brembo rotors and ebc brakes, mine not only clicks when i brake it clicks even when i go over speed bumps..or bad roads driving me crazy sounds like the whole thing is lose or somthing
Old 05-02-07, 06:44 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ same as him lol
Old 05-02-07, 07:49 PM
magnetik
Pole Position

wow. other than the occasional light brake squeal and the pads being a little dusty... I have no complaints on my x-drilled and axxis ultimates. no clicking, grinding, etc. The only difference maybe is ss lines but I wouldn't think so.
Old 11-03-07, 12:39 PM
dwainew
Driver School Candidate

2GS4, just put brembo cross drilled rears with EBC red stuff, definately have the "playing cards in the spokes" effect. installed with drill pattern pointing backwards. included doc states rotors are directional only if the vanes are curved OR if the rotor is slotted, in which case the dirction of rotation is such that the outter edge of the slot reaches the caliper first, the OPPOSITE of how mine are now installed. I now have the Xdrilled rear brembos and EBC yellow stuff for installation on the front thinking I'll just get used to the sound. Hey, it'll make people notice your upgraded rotors!
Old 11-06-07, 07:42 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know. Cross drilled rotors are the really useless. With todays brake technology, your rotors and pads should not overheat. I know people sweat it because they think its an upgrade, but it is mainly for looks. They also seem to work great for people that brake like girls as it doesn't groove them as much. When I abused them, I grooved them with circular vanes between the holes. My brother bought his 328is with them on, same thing. My friend had them on his Prelude, same thing. Another friend though he was a genius and bought them for his focus, guess what, same thing. It just takes a while to realize that there is nothing gained.

The reason why you groove them between the holes is because of the crazy pressure that you apply to stop, the holes cheese grate your pads, and/or just don't wear the pad in that area because of the holes, thus that area doesn't really wear as hard as the area betweent he holes. This not only worsens preforamance due to less contact area, but causes a lovely stress effect for your rotors to crack. Now that is fun to see when a rotor splits. Talk about damage from the inside.

Oh for those that can't see any grooving, don't just look at it, guide your finger nail from the center of the rotor, to the edge, trust me the grooves are there, you are just not mashing the brake hard enough to make it visable.

Those with axis ultimates. I feel your pain. Not only is the rotor going to always make noise, it will become worse as the pad wears in. Axis ULT on their own are very agressive, they strart to make grinding noises on blank rotors. They will get loud and annoying soon. Oh yeah they wear really fast, let us know how many miles they last on drilled rotors.

That noise you hear, the card in the spokes effect, remember what use to happen with the card after a while. Yea that was with the card, and a bike, maybe hitting 20-40mph max, short distance. Your car is doing the same thing to those pads, all the time, higher speeds, longer distances, and without pressure to the pad. Can you immagine what it does when you apply the brakes. Do you guys really think it is making that noise without wearing something out faster.

Basically I am not trying to preach. I just hope you guys don't make the same mistakes that I did when I was foolish. We don't drive Porsches, or AMG benzes, our systems are different. I don't quite understand why they do that either. It is a problem, especially since they mandate that you replace the rotor, and do not try to turn it. Race cars run blanks. If you want, buy them for the bling, just don't say they are improving performance.

You want braking performance, get crazy Ultra High Performance tires, Brigestone Pole Position SO3 are really nice. They work great in dry and wet, yes wet, they will grip like crazy. Any amount of snow though, and you better have full coverage insurance or another set of tires.

Basically you will stop great with nice tires, great high performance brake fluid, and nice brake pads. Oh and you will take turns faster too .
Old 01-29-08, 05:15 PM
mrwong140
Driver School Candidate

Nnice essay slickgt1 =) , but yea that sound is annoying. Anyone ever figure out how to fix the card in bike tire while riding sound yet? I'm guessing find some normal rotors would do it.