Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Will lowering my car with just new springs ruin ride over time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-07, 09:41 AM
Burst32
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will lowering my car with just new springs ruin ride over time?

I told the guy at my shop here that I have a set of springs on order and wanted him to install them when they arrived. He told me that with his experience in just putting in springs, is that over time (say over one year) the "lexus"-type ride will be completely gone and my dampers will be shot. he said it is because they have less room to travel and will hit the bump stops more times as compared with the stock springs. this makes sense but I want opinions from people with an ISx50 actually lowered on just springs. PLEASE LET ME KNOW. thanks a lott
Old 03-06-07, 11:28 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

He's right to a degree.

Deterioration of the dampers depends on several things, the two most important being:
1. the delta in spring rates
2. amount of drop

Theoretically, the bigger the changes, the faster the stock dampers will give. Without knowing what the deltas are, you can't really say that the stock dampers will only last 1 year or that you'll be hitting the bump stops, etc.

Coming from the G/Z community, there are many using just springs that haven't mentioned any degredation after several years. However, the degredation might be so gradual/subtle, so that they might not be noticing them.
Old 03-06-07, 11:35 AM
Burst32
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
He's right to a degree.

Deterioration of the dampers depends on several things, the two most important being:
1. the delta in spring rates
2. amount of drop

Theoretically, the bigger the changes, the faster the stock dampers will give. Without knowing what the deltas are, you can't really say that the stock dampers will only last 1 year or that you'll be hitting the bump stops, etc.

Coming from the G/Z community, there are many using just springs that haven't mentioned any degredation after several years. However, the degredation might be so gradual/subtle, so that they might not be noticing them.
I am going to use the Tanabe NF210's. Only one 1" in the rear and .8" in the front. Not that big of a drop, I know tons of people on here have done that to there cars, and have not said anything. I think I am going to do it. Either way you need to replace your shocks after XXXXX amount of miles anyways. So what if mine need replacing a few miles before that.