Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Cross Drilled Rotors for IS

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-07, 07:40 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by al503
Call J Ritt at Stoptech. Ask them about x-drilled rotors. They offer them for the street and show but recommend against them for the track.

Cooling/Thermodynamics argument:
1. a properly vented (internally) rotor will have sufficient flow to disperse the heat without cross drilling.
2. by cross drilling you reduce overall mass and you actually decrease the surface area (needed to dissipate the heat) of the rotors.

Whether you're doing 1 emergency stop or 10, the solid, properly vented rotor will always be cooler than the same rotor that has been cross drilled.

How many F1, Indy, Nascar, etc., race cars have you seen with cross drilled rotors? I haven't.
Hit the nail on the head buddy!
Old 04-13-07, 08:37 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with al503 and lobuxracer completely. I had cross drilled rotors once when I first started autocrossing 15 years ago, and they didn't have any of the effects I expected. The reduced mass caused them to heat up and cool down quicker while also achieving a higher peak temperature. They actually blistered after a track day. I hadn't ever seen anything like it. Some of my buddies have had much worse experiences with them, like the rotors actually cracking while on the track.
Old 04-13-07, 09:40 AM
r1concept
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey sarorn, Cross-drilled and slotted rotors give the maximum braking for performance cars under all necessary braking conditions. Precision machined holes or slots on the rotors will allow hot gases from brake pad to escape quickly to prevent skidding or locking up. It also provides quicker response to improve faster stopping power and enhancing the look of your car. Cross drilled slotted rotors will definitely make a difference on any car. Under extreme heat conditions warping can occur on the rotors. Drilled holes prevent your rotors from being over-heated to that extreme heat condition where warping may occur. Slot are mainly for a better brake pad bite. Decrease stopping distant.

advantage of drill holes:
Maximum air circulation for increased cooling. (200-250 degrees cooler)
Improved wet weather braking.
Cooler brake pads.
Promote longer rotor life.

advantage of Slots:
Increased brake pad bite.
Prevents glazing between brake pads and rotors,
Shortens the braking distance.
Releases any gases, brake dust, water, and heat.

Depending on company, cross drilled and slotted patterns are precisely CNC machined for perfect fit to OEM specs for use with stock calipers and stock wheels. No other modifications are needed. Take off your old ones, put the new ones on and your ready to go.

Any further questions please feel free to pm me
thanks- steven

Originally Posted by Sarorn
I sent Steve the following PM:
Hi Steve,
just wondered if the rotors will make any difference in braking performance for the lexus isX50's. What are the advantages of using a drilled/slotted rotoer? How easy is it to install and make it compatible with the pads that are installed on the car? Can you reply within the posting so other IS owners can benefit? Thanks.
Old 04-13-07, 09:50 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by r1concept
hey sarorn, Cross-drilled and slotted rotors give the maximum braking for performance cars under all necessary braking conditions. Precision machined holes or slots on the rotors will allow hot gases from brake pad to escape quickly to prevent skidding or locking up. It also provides quicker response to improve faster stopping power and enhancing the look of your car. Cross drilled slotted rotors will definitely make a difference on any car. Under extreme heat conditions warping can occur on the rotors. Drilled holes prevent your rotors from being over-heated to that extreme heat condition where warping may occur. Slot are mainly for a better brake pad bite. Decrease stopping distant.

advantage of drill holes:
Maximum air circulation for increased cooling. (200-250 degrees cooler)
Improved wet weather braking.
Cooler brake pads.
Promote longer rotor life.

advantage of Slots:
Increased brake pad bite.
Prevents glazing between brake pads and rotors,
Shortens the braking distance.
Releases any gases, brake dust, water, and heat.

Depending on company, cross drilled and slotted patterns are precisely CNC machined for perfect fit to OEM specs for use with stock calipers and stock wheels. No other modifications are needed. Take off your old ones, put the new ones on and your ready to go.

thanks- steven
Sounds like you must sell slotted and drilled rotors. I disagree with everything you said in this advertisement.
Old 04-13-07, 10:15 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Sounds like you must sell slotted and drilled rotors. I disagree with everything you said in this advertisement.
Gern, I think your ideas would have much more impact if you would just say what you mean.
Old 04-13-07, 11:20 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,356 Posts

hey there, i stubbled on to this thread. If you have any general questions on rotors or brake pads. please feel free to pm me.
thanks- steven
thanks- steven

Actually, they cannot PM you as I have disabled your PM functionality for a couple of reasons.

1) you are a vendor and constantly inviting members to PM you is inviting PM sales. Not going to happen. If you want to sell here on CL you'll need to sign up to be a supporting vendor first. I refer you to our forum rules https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq...aq_advertising

2) this is a forum and if you want to participate then share your thoughts with everyone, not just one or two people.

3) R1concepts already has an account on our forum from a couple of years ago as well IP matches to other member accounts here on CL https://www.clublexus.com/forums/members/37181-r1concepts.html Please refer to our forum rules on multiple accounts https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq...les#faq_banned . Your duplicate new ID will be disabled once this thread has run its course.
Old 04-14-07, 01:50 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
No doubt. It also sounds like he knows very little about what actually stops a car. Probably has never seen Pulp Friction.
Old 04-25-07, 10:22 AM
r1concept
Driver School Candidate

lol, funny
Old 04-25-07, 12:38 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

lol, funny
Funny indeed.

eBay Vendor
Old 04-25-07, 12:47 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my drilled rotors, but I didn't get them from ebay.

Last edited by Chancellor; 04-25-07 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-25-07, 01:22 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

back to the idea of rotors, i called rotora last week and they said they'd be releasing them in 30-45 days time... but then again this is the 3rd time they've given me an estimated release date.

anyway, rotora seems to be the only company i know making AM rotors...
Old 04-25-07, 01:36 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Are they going to be directional rotors like the OEMs?
Old 04-26-07, 07:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,389 Posts

lol, funny
If you read the link, you wouldn't be laughing. Grassroots Motorsports is one of the better rags out there for people who are serious about mechanical performance. If you seriously believe you need holes or slots for out-gassing, you should buy some modern brake pads. This has not been a problem since the 80's.

If you believe rotors can change stopping distance, you don't understand braking at all.

If you read the article, you'd understand why guys like me who have actually been to the track laugh at guys like you who don't have a clue about real high performance braking.

Slots and holes are there to impress people who don't know much about brakes. There are a lot of people who don't know much about brakes.
Old 04-26-07, 09:17 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jsquared
back to the idea of rotors, i called rotora last week and they said they'd be releasing them in 30-45 days time... but then again this is the 3rd time they've given me an estimated release date.

anyway, rotora seems to be the only company i know making AM rotors...
I know for a fact that Brembo will be making aftermarket rotors... and calipers, and brakes, and brake lines, too.

Javier
Old 04-26-07, 09:41 PM
IS350PRO
Driver School Candidate

Anyone who says rotors with slots or c/d holes make no performance difference has never out driven their brakes. I warped the stock rotors on my IS350 the first time I really had a chance to drive the car to it's potential {and beyond}. If you never brake from 120+ hard, repeatedly then stay stock. If you are road or track racing and actually pushing hard you'll see, your stock rotors warp and your brakes will fade. Every race car in the world has large diameter cross drilled/slotted or both, rotors for a reason. If they made a ceramic disk for the car then you would'nt hav to go cd/s/v but since they don't........ I have yet to warp the new brakes and i've flogged the &#@$ out of them.

Quick Reply: Cross Drilled Rotors for IS