Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Cross Drilled Rotors for IS

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-07, 02:39 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
I'm sure they look very "exotic" to the uninformed.
lol i was thinking more "they look FAST" hahaha. hummm thats kinda a oxymoron, brakes that look fast haha
Old 10-02-07, 07:03 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought all this was common knowledge? i shed a tear when i learned the GTR will come with 20" rims as standard
Old 10-02-07, 07:22 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gshb
i thought all this was common knowledge? i shed a tear when i learned the GTR will come with 20" rims as standard
At least the GTR's will have Rays Forge 20" wheels, which are relatively light.
Old 10-03-07, 04:10 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

u can always swap to 16's later lol
Old 10-06-07, 08:00 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Its has been my experience that drilled and slotted rotors do help but there are drawbacks. They won't help like a BBK but then again the IS350 does have fairly large brakes.

They will reduce your rotor's surface area and with that you will also require increased pedal pressure. The rotors will also have more uneven heat distribution and can warp or crack from it. The cracks are the first thing you will notice. Drilled rotors are probably worse than slotted rotors. Slotted rotors do have the advantage to gas relieving w/o much of a change in surface area. Drilled and slotted rotors are going to reduce your area significantly.

If I had my choice in replacing my rotors, I would like the option of 2-piece rotors from www.racingbrake.com . Not only are they made of a better material than the OEM rotors (so they won't lip/wear as badly) they are also lighter. And they only come in slotted configuration. They aren't cheap by any means ($300/ea) but they are worth it.

Too bad the IS350 calipers don't mount radially like the UCF30 has otherwise we would be able to stuff a 13.5" disc with some spacers in there and still fit it inside the OEM 18" wheels.

For a car that is driven on the street these rotors won't be much of a difference. But for the ones driven on the track would notice a huge difference in fade (now I'm basing this on my experience on my NSX customer's cars that have been driven very hard). The other benefit I see would be to shape the rotor's rear shield to direct air from the front of the bumper to them. This might have to be done with some kevlar/silicone duct/hose work. The rotors will cool off a lot easier that way and should help reduce a small amount of wear at the added expense of brake dust.

As one has questioned about other cars comming from factory with drilled discs. They have more than enough brake surface area to use holes within and the surface area is significantly larger diameter. If you look at the european cars the discs are much further inboard and are very large. I myself haven't seen any of their factory discs ever develop a crack but I can't mention how many drilled discs (even brembos) I've replaced on the stock supra TT caliper fitment. I have noticed the Supra Brembo GT BBK discs prematurely wearing out from the holes in their drilled discs and they are one of the sought after BBK kits. On my own Supra I will plan on using the Grex slotted BBK kit instead.

Unfortunately, Racing brake doesn't make a set of front rotors for the IS 350 yet. They will if we have enough guys dedicated for it.

-Joe