Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Warning If You're Thinking Of Getting Trd Sway Bars...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-01, 09:09 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Warning If You're Thinking Of Getting Trd Sway Bars...

Originally posted by bitkahuna
The dealer agreed that this was the cause of the repeatedly failing sensors......
I'd nudge the service manager an elbow and let him know that a couple of good guys online helped you out, and not any of the techs at the dealership
Old 11-25-01, 09:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Warning If You're Thinking Of Getting Trd Sway Bars...

Originally posted by Dexter
I'd nudge the service manager an elbow and let him know that a couple of good guys online helped you out, and not any of the techs at the dealership
I took in a print out of the thread off ClubLexus so they know all right!
Old 11-26-01, 07:48 AM
JacobT

I have TRD sway installed for almost a year now and I don't have any problem with speed sensor whatsoever
Old 11-26-01, 11:07 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I have heard of this problem also. My service director was telling me that TRD USA was holding off shipment of the sway bars at one time because of the interference. I hope they sent out a service bulletin.

Enclosed is a pic of the speed-sense wiring with my Tein HA installation. Notice the routing of the wiring mounted to the strut. I have to believe that this problem is directly related to the wiring mounting location to the strut. I bet Tein and Bilstein owners don't have the problem. Perhaps it only affects the stock shock and L-Tuned shock postions.
Attached Thumbnails Warning If You're Thinking Of Getting Trd Sway Bars...-speedsens.jpg  
Old 11-26-01, 11:37 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Q - Many thanks for the pic

I'll be sure to print this off and give copies to the service manager and service tech when I get mine installed....
Old 11-27-01, 06:14 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great piece of info Bit...so far, I haven't had any problems on my setup...my installer must have re-routed it....
Old 11-28-01, 07:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by manaray
Great piece of info Bit...so far, I haven't had any problems on my setup...my installer must have re-routed it....
Thanks. I think you have coilovers though, right?

I'm really beginning to wonder if somehow the L-Tuned springs/shocks just aren't really compatible with the TRD sways, and somehow the combination makes the suspension bottom out more, causing the cable problems.
Old 11-29-01, 04:26 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I have H&R Coilovers...I doubt TRD/L-Tuned wouldn't have worked out any "kinks" during the design of the parts...but then again, they couldn't tell us the difference between the "L-Tuned" ECU and the GS430 ECU...
Old 11-30-01, 12:53 PM
duggs430
Driver School Candidate

Are you sure that the sway bar was not installed upside down, it will fit and could hit the sensor lead.
Old 11-30-01, 06:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by duggs430
Are you sure that the sway bar was not installed upside down, it will fit and could hit the sensor lead.
duggs... how can I tell!? any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Since this was the first (and to my knowledge ONLY) sway install my Lexus dealer has done, it's possible!
Old 11-30-01, 07:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

OK duggs, ya really got me wondering if they hosed the sway install now.

I hard cranked the front wheels to the right to look inside the wheel well. The sway curves DOWNWARD from the attachment point and then into the frame... is the stock one like that? Here's the best pic I could take inside the right front wheelwell:

(You can sorta see how they re-routed the speed sensor cable. That's the tire out of focus on the left.)
Attached Thumbnails Warning If You're Thinking Of Getting Trd Sway Bars...-11300001-2.jpg  

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-30-01 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-30-01, 07:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

One more pic:
Attached Thumbnails Warning If You're Thinking Of Getting Trd Sway Bars...-11300007-2.jpg  
Old 11-30-01, 11:26 PM
gsexploits
Driver

Question

Bit, I am not sure if they are upside down or not. I will try to post a pic of mine tomorrow. But I have about 3" of space between the top of my TRDs and the speed sense wiring. I also have a 430 with Eibachs/Bilsteins combo. Your TRDs sure seem to be much closer to the old connection point of the wiring you moved (right above the TRD sticker at the right most point of the inverted "V" bracket). Like only 1/2"?

Hopefully my pics tomorrow will shed some light.
Old 11-30-01, 11:35 PM
gsexploits
Driver

Just went and looked again...yours are definitely installed different then mine. You mentioned you hard cranked your wheels to the right and the picture was from the right passenger side. Well, the TRD sticker on my bar is on the driver side. Now assuming they place the sticker in the same place on all bars, then it would logically mean that it is mounted reverse of mine. Add to it the fact that I have about 3" of space between my bar and the wiring contact point, It leads me to believe that yours are upside down.

I will post a pic from both side of my sway on Saturday to hopefully clear this up for you.
Old 12-01-01, 03:47 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

hey Bit, glad to see your intelligent post again, it's nice to be back at the forum. = )

I have had TRD swars for almost half year now, while it works perfectly fine on my precious 01 430, something scary has happened on my 02 model. I was driving about a month after it's done on my 02, one day when I was driving my friend to south coast plaza, I heard thumping noice coming from my front tires. I immediately thought that my front tires were about to run flat. The noice was really bad, like glon glon glon~!! AS the car was towed to Tustin Lexus, they found the probem seemed to be that the bracket which was holding the sways bars ran loose. (the bodyshop didn't install too good?) that's why the noice was real bad.

I am not sure if this relates to this subject, but I know that the Lexus has told me that several GS has happened the same problem, so when u Have your sways put on, make sure they do a really tight job. = )

Bit, is it anything related to your speed sensor? i am lost here
?_?

Quick Reply: Warning If You're Thinking Of Getting Trd Sway Bars...