Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Warning If You're Thinking Of Getting Trd Sway Bars...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-01, 06:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Quick update...

Got the car back, sway is on the right way round now. I picked it up late so the service guys had gone.

Car rides MUCH better now. And I have almost no wheel balance vibration at 65-80 now either. So the new tires I bought earlier this year may not have been necessary and all the @#%@#$^ balancing I've had done, too.

I'm still pissed, but not sure how to vent to them yet. I've gone back through my records and found I had the sways installed Feb 7th and visited the dealer *9* times in the 10 months since and had 4 speed sensors installed. Doug - I didn't pay for any of these visits though (except in time and hassle).

I guess my bigger sources of anger are that 1) after all this they didn't basically grovel and say "we really screwed up and made your life hell", 2) WE figured out what was wrong and not the dealer, and 3) the last time I went in for the 4th speed sensor install they basically said "since it's a TRD sway bar and not a Lexus part, talk to TRD if it breaks again."

My current thought is to write a letter to the dealer's general manager laying this out.

Anyone else got any ideas?
Old 12-06-01, 06:38 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Absolutely, write the letter first; the Service Manager should do damn near anything to keep you quiet - they won't want corporate getting involved.

And as far as the part breaking or not being a Lexus part; WTF-ever....the morons didn't kow how to install it; if they were unsure, they should have

1.) refused to install it (if you can't do it, don't pretend like you can and screw up my car, or endanger my life think about that part for a minute...)

or

2.) exercised due diligence and called someone and asked how to do so if they weren't sure.

Can you imagine the screw up if the techs just started bolting stuff on to places where it fit???

The service manager should know the abilities of his techs - their work reflects on him since they are his ultimate responsibility. At least that's how it works in the real world the last time I was there..

Asked him to put the shoe on the other foot so to speak, then demand some sort of compensation.

Keep us posted Bit - Congrats on getting you GS up to spec. I enjoyed the demonstration ride before, I know I'll enjoy my sways even more now.
Old 12-06-01, 07:05 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey bit,

Glad they finally got this worked out. I'm surprised Tony didn't come up with something to compensate you for your trouble. So, I think the idea of writing the General Manager is a good one. I would also copy Peter Hennessey...or write the letter to him with a copy to the General Manager.

You may, however, want to talk to the Service Manager first to see what he'll do for you before you go higher. At least this way if he gives nothing you can mention that also when you write your letter.

BTW, I would push for something that doesn't cost them hard dollars. An item like some free service is something they can give you without laying out money for new tires, an extended warranty or other hard dollar items.
Old 12-06-01, 11:33 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bit - If you write the letter could you copy TRD on it. If a Lexus dealership fouled up the installation maybe it is not quite as straight forward as they seem to believe. Seems like this could have been avoided with either a simple marking on the bar or brief instructions or both. If Lexus wants its dealerships to be in the L tuned business they either need to do some training or at least designate certain dealers as the appropriate ones for installs. Not against writing letters but I try to figure out what response it is I am trying to get. Letters that just vent are often personally satisfying but just create more ill will. Can't come as a surprise to them that you caught them performing downright shoddy service and had to endure a significant amount of downtime for the service trips including the high handed "From here on your on your own" attitude fixing the last sensor for which you should rightly be miffed to say the least. Just to be safe, might want to drive the car for a couple of weeks and insure that everything is to your satisfaction before you send your letter. Could be a bugger to have to go back for something (loose bracket bolts?) in a week or two after they receive your letter. Also gives them a chance to call you and make amends. Overall, just glad you got this sorted out.
Old 12-07-01, 01:55 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bit - Glad I could help...I'm just glad you got it all straightened out...I remember some other members had problems with some tire shake at certain speeds...I wonder how many other people have their Sways installed incorrectly...?

Give them an earful...but I would go with what Marty said about talking to the Service Manager first before to take "the next step"...

I would be VERY pissed....all that time you wasted and the mental distress (??? ) it caused you...

I've had a few problems (mostly cosmetic) at my dealership but they're been pretty good about fixing the problems...

Dexter - Hehehe...love the new avatar...I AM THE MIGHTY CORNHOLIO! Heheh...yeah...
Old 12-07-01, 10:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I've composed a 'nice' letter to the service manager only, outlining the last 10 months of hell, including all the money wasted on balancing and new front tires which I thought was caused by the new rims when in fact it was caused by the front sway bar. I said I'd like to keep on good relations with them though, and that perhaps he can do something (not cash) for me to offset my lost time, hassle, frustration and displeasure with my GS that started after the bad install. We'll see what happens.

On a brighter note, my car is going great.

Dexter, you HAVE to get the sway bars.
Old 12-07-01, 12:41 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Dexter, you HAVE to get the sway bars.
Heck, I knew that from the first 5 seconds of my demo ride in your car! Upside down or not!

Now, if we could just speed the boat up from Japan that has the sways on it.....
Old 12-18-01, 07:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Finally got the cable modem back online... here's a (better) pic of my front sway bar installed upside down:

(You can see where my dealer rerouted the speed cable away from the SMASHED clip just above the sway bar that had been repeatedly WHACKING it)
Attached Thumbnails Warning If You're Thinking Of Getting Trd Sway Bars...-12020010-2-far-.jpg  
Old 12-18-01, 07:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

And here's a stock sway, installed the right way up!
Attached Thumbnails Warning If You're Thinking Of Getting Trd Sway Bars...-12020009-2-stock-.jpg  
Old 12-19-01, 12:28 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Bit, did the dealer take care of you? Or did they just give a "whoops"?

They should have at least replaced the speed sensor clip and reinstalled it the "normal" way...
Old 12-19-01, 05:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by manaray
Hey Bit, did the dealer take care of you? Or did they just give a "whoops"?

They should have at least replaced the speed sensor clip and reinstalled it the "normal" way...
I don't know exactly what they did underneath - I haven't taken a look - I doubt they replaced the clip. It's not the end of the world to me if they didn't.

As far as taking care of me, initially I didn't get the kind of grovelling I expected, so after a letter to the service manager, they made it right. I'd rather keep that between me and the dealer.
Old 12-19-01, 10:38 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Bit, thanks for posting those pics - they really help clear up what was happening. Glad you have a final resolution in place.
Old 12-21-01, 05:21 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Bit - Cool...I'm glad that the dealership took care of you to your satisfaction...

As for the clip, dunno, personally, I would have wanted them to fix it and return it back to "stock"...I'm just **** that way (an ONLY in that way! )
Old 01-23-08, 12:43 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Bringing an OOOOOLD thread back to life....very important for those installing the TRD sways..

well unfortunately I didn't see this thread before I had mine installed and lo and behold mine was installed upside down. I had the VSC lights come on the next day and then my speedo quit working a few days later. Did some research and found this thread. Checked mine and yes it was upside down and the bar was actually resting on the lines, both sides! Well the shop stood by their install and fixed everything including new ABS sensors.

So guys, READ THIS THREAD and make sure you tell the shop to PAY ATTENTION!!!
Old 01-23-08, 01:12 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

this is awesome info! couldnt believe i didnt find this while researching the trd's! thx for the revival 400D!

Quick Reply: Warning If You're Thinking Of Getting Trd Sway Bars...