Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bone stock SC400 suddenly 1/2"-3/4" lower on rear driver's side- any clues as to why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-07, 08:21 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Bone stock SC400 suddenly 1/2"-3/4" lower on rear driver's side- any clues as to why?

I always thought those posts saying "my car is 1/2" lower on XXX side" were from way-too-fussy owners, until it happened to me - now I can see that even a 1/2 inch difference in wheel gap is pretty noticeable when viewed from the rear.

Usually those same posts mention that something has been recently done to the car, like new shocks, springs or bushings, and usually that is the cause of the lean. No such luck here- this uneveness has appeared out of nowhere on a stock SC400. As stated, it is about 1/2" or so lower on the rear driver's side. Front is level, tire pressure ok, and car still tracks fine, too. I checked trunk for a body but it's empty.

What are the "usual suspects" when this sort of tilt happens? Sway bar end links? Suspension bushings?

Any clue as to what or where to start looking would be appreciated.
Old 03-27-07, 01:20 PM
stock_sc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my stock rear did the same. well i kinda knew why mine did that. my shock was leaking/blown. the way i found out was going on a curving on ramp when it hit a bump it would slide out abit. thats how i knew my strut was blown. but yeah get ur shock checked out to see if its blown or leaking. that could be one thing that might cause that.
Old 03-28-07, 05:32 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah I was going to suggest a blown shock... is the side where it is sagging feel bouncy when going over bumps?
Old 03-28-07, 09:54 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Well, I just checked, and my usual test for a blown shock is to press down on the corner of the car and see if there is significant resistance, then release and make sure the shock damps any bouncing. Using that criteria, the driver's rear corner feels exactly the same as the other three.
Old 03-29-07, 07:26 PM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm having this same problem. Just bought the car several weeks ago and the lowering is actually moving back and forth from the rear tires. What I mean is that the drop will be on the left side when I get into the car and the right side when I get out. As far as I know it is stock springs and the shocks and bushing were replaced not too long ago. I'm thinking the bushings are not setting right or taking "turns" setting correct. Well thats my 2 cents
Old 03-29-07, 07:50 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suspect usual culprits such as the bushings, spring insulator. Make sure the sway bars are positioned correctly.
Old 04-02-07, 08:03 AM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

Hey Perry, long time...............hows that door hinge DIY going.

Suspension bushings, etc wouldn't contribute to a lean unless broken/missing.
A lot of struts will pass the bounce test & still be bad. Pull the wheel & check
the strut for leakage. Push the boot up & check the shaft for rub marks.
Also check the coil spring for cracks/ damage.
Last check the lower control arm camber adjusters for tightness. (mounting
bolts for the arm w/ the egg shaped washers) If the adjusters shifted, giving
negitive camber(top of tire leaning in) it would also lower the car.
Old 04-02-07, 07:45 PM
Baker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shocks do not control the stance of the car the only control the bound /rebound. That is unless you have a threaded body Coil-over. The spring / spring perch / strut bearing etc. can have an effect on how low or high the car sits. However, if a bolt rattled out of the shock bottom or any suspension component, the car would sink on that side for sure.
Old 04-02-07, 09:06 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

When I replaced the shocks of my BMW 3.0cs with KYBs, I recall them being shipped in a fully compressed position, tied together with string. When untied, the gas-pressurized shock expanded with quite a bit of force.

If my rear shocks are pressurized like that, I would think that would effect the stance of my car, and if one recently leaked, that might affect the height, but I don't see any signs of leakage and they pass the bounce test. And I don't know if our rear shocks are pressurized like that.

And John, that door hinge you donated remains in my "to-be-done" hopper, waiting for some external motivation, like me losing my job and returning to a life of leisure or, (more likely), the imminent failure of my existing door hinge!
Old 04-03-07, 05:30 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

LOL Perry, just giving you a poke.
The struts are gas pressureized. While true the springs do 99% of
the work to hold the ride height, the pressureized strut does contribute.
Finish w/ the rest of my check list. If the shaft has rub marks it's
possible the shaft is sticking internally & can't return to its full extened
height. How about a full Perry investgation w/ Pic's, you were the best
doing write ups.
Old 04-06-07, 03:31 PM
Lex*Toy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After checking struts, you should also check the rear sway bar:

1) The sway links can bend and eventually snap if the car was driven hard laterally. Even if not broken, a bent link could lower as much as an inch or so.

2) It is possible for the rear sway links to invert their position to behind one of the rear link arms. One link underneath and the other side above the arm, can cause a lope-sided situation.