Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Any Regrets Dropping?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-07, 07:46 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by clubfoot
The front shocks are different.
This is correct. The front shocks and springs (coilover assemblies) are different, and provide a 10mm drop from the regular suspension. The rear "sport" coilovers are exactly the same as the regular (non-sport) setup.

Javier
Old 04-14-07, 12:14 AM
easy_mac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have problems in the service bays with getting the car onto the lift? I use to have this problem with my old car, car was so low I could never jack the car up or get the car onto a lift without riding onto a couple 2x4s... The car was such a PITA I sold it 6 months later.
Old 04-14-07, 01:46 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,042 Likes on 2,448 Posts

FWIW, the shocks are all made by Tokico. There is a sticker on each one indicating position and showing Tokico as the manufacturer.
Old 04-14-07, 03:51 AM
tjZ06
Driver

I haven't seen a lot of comments about ride quality after going to a coil-over or Pro Kit. My car ('06 IS250 RWD) rides soooooo nice I don't want to ruin that. My other car (highly modded '02 Z06) doesn't ride bad for what it is, but it's certainly no Lexus. Given the awesome stock ride I'm really happy with the handling of my IS. So really I only want to lower the car for the look (man, my racing buddies would give me hell for that statement).

I'm leaning towards just doing the Pro Kit. The 1" drop seems to look pretty nice, especially if I go up to 19s later. I do all the wrench work on my 'vette (I've had it more or less apart and back together more times than I care to count) so I have no fear I can knock the job out in a few hours. When (not if) the shocks do 'blow' I'll just slap the stock springs on and get 'em warrantied (I have a buddy who's a Lexo tech anyway, so I might not even have to bother).

BUT if the Pro Kit ride is inferior to some of the coil-overs out there I might think twice about going coil-over.

So how much worse is the ride of a Pro Kit vs. stock? What about coil-overs vs. Pro Kit vs. stock?

Thanks for any advice.

-TJ
Old 04-14-07, 06:18 AM
Chaser07
Driver

Default Tein = AFS Light????

Originally Posted by 559IS350
No regrets. Love the Eibach pro-kit. Not worried about premature wear on shocks. One Inch drop is nothing. Had it with all my other cars with no problems.
I put my new Tein S-Tech Springs on last night, or I should say, I had them put on, but when I picked up my car, the AFS light was blinking....Does anyone know why this happened or has it happened to anyone else?

I kind of need an argument for either my dealer or the installer....Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time
Old 04-14-07, 09:57 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I have had the experience of both the "EIBACH-Pro-Kit" and I am know running the "TIEN-CS" coil-over setup.

From this experience, I can say (and not trying to hate on eibach) honestly, that the ride with the TIEN-CS was just as good as stock, and not only that, I was also able to make adjustments on the fly, whenever I wanted--plus the horrid wheel gap is gone.

Keep in mind though, after you lower the the ride height (from stock TIEN-CS height), the ride will get a tad bit bumpy/bouncy. But overall it feels good and rides low

So IMO, the TIEN is well worth the $$$....
Old 04-14-07, 09:59 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,042 Likes on 2,448 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaser07
I put my new Tein S-Tech Springs on last night, or I should say, I had them put on, but when I picked up my car, the AFS light was blinking....Does anyone know why this happened or has it happened to anyone else?

I kind of need an argument for either my dealer or the installer....Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time
Click here. This is a well known and well documented issue with a solution. Probably needs to be added to the FAQ.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 04-14-07 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-14-07, 12:11 PM
lexem
Pole Position

No regrets. I lowered mine with Eibach. I have the Sport Package and it still dropped the car about 1" front and .8" rear. With a full tank of gas and some bags for a small trip the rear wheels tuck =) Looks really good.
I did the install myself and they are Tokico Shocks. I wouldn't expect any problems with the stock shocks. I already had to watch out for curbs when parking so nothing has changed.
If you're going to drop the car over 2" get coil overs.
I see a lot of people get coil overs and never use them. They end up setting the height and spring rate and leave it. They will change it the first few months but after that they never change it. I really depends on you.
Old 04-14-07, 03:14 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Originally Posted by tjZ06
I haven't seen a lot of comments about ride quality after going to a coil-over or Pro Kit. My car ('06 IS250 RWD) rides soooooo nice I don't want to ruin that. My other car (highly modded '02 Z06) doesn't ride bad for what it is, but it's certainly no Lexus. Given the awesome stock ride I'm really happy with the handling of my IS. So really I only want to lower the car for the look (man, my racing buddies would give me hell for that statement).

I'm leaning towards just doing the Pro Kit. The 1" drop seems to look pretty nice, especially if I go up to 19s later. I do all the wrench work on my 'vette (I've had it more or less apart and back together more times than I care to count) so I have no fear I can knock the job out in a few hours. When (not if) the shocks do 'blow' I'll just slap the stock springs on and get 'em warrantied (I have a buddy who's a Lexo tech anyway, so I might not even have to bother).

BUT if the Pro Kit ride is inferior to some of the coil-overs out there I might think twice about going coil-over.

So how much worse is the ride of a Pro Kit vs. stock? What about coil-overs vs. Pro Kit vs. stock?

Thanks for any advice.

-TJ
Of course, coil-overs are a superior setup since you get a shock that’s custom-matched to the spring. Having said that, the ride quality of the Eibach Pro-Kit is excellent. I’ve given my friends rides in my car and they were absolutely amazed at the ride quality. I was all prepared to have a jittery ride once I got my Eibachs on, but I honestly can’t tell a difference in ride quality between my stock (non-sport) setup and the Eibachs - I couldn’t be happier with them.

Javier
Old 04-14-07, 03:24 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

If your doing coil-overs correctly, aren't you supposed to four, individual, wheel scales to adjust them properly?
Old 04-14-07, 03:57 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you ride with 2-3 people a lot will it cause the springs to sag/wear prematurely?
If I have the sports model and lower it, what from the sports package will I still have over someone with the premium/lux?
Old 04-14-07, 04:01 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Julez
If you ride with 2-3 people a lot will it cause the springs to sag/wear prematurely?
If I have the sports model and lower it, what from the sports package will I still have over someone with the premium/lux?
Not the springs, obviously .

And for the riding with a bunch of people thing, any springs or shocks suffer more with more weight.
Old 04-14-07, 04:06 PM
tjZ06
Driver

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Of course, coil-overs are a superior setup since you get a shock that’s custom-matched to the spring. Having said that, the ride quality of the Eibach Pro-Kit is excellent. I’ve given my friends rides in my car and they were absolutely amazed at the ride quality. I was all prepared to have a jittery ride once I got my Eibachs on, but I honestly can’t tell a difference in ride quality between my stock (non-sport) setup and the Eibachs - I couldn’t be happier with them.

Javier
Thanks for the feedback! Where in CA are you? If you're in the Bay Area I'd love to take a look at your car and maybe get a ride. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Buford
If your doing coil-overs correctly, aren't you supposed to four, individual, wheel scales to adjust them properly?
From a handling/racing standpoint, yes you should. The process is called corner-weighting and I have it done on my Corvette to provide the most balanced handling possible. However, I doubt any of us are racing our IS's to the level that corner-weighting would be worth it. I think most of us would be just fine adjusting to ride-height for the look we want (level with an average load in the vehicle) as opposed to adjusting to corner-weight.

-TJ
Old 04-15-07, 11:03 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

I'm in Pasadena, and won't be in Nor-Cal until EOS later this year...

Javier
Old 04-21-07, 04:37 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by knihc2008
They don't blow out per say, like Ford Explorer blowout, but just wear out faster on aftermarket springs and will require more frequent changing. As far as these cars go, no one knows yet, but I'd assume the shocks would go on for, what, 30k miles instead of the usual 50k or so? What do you guys think?

Since I do have a 100,000 mile warranty on my car, I'm seriously considering keeping my stock springs and changing out the springs when my shocks feel weebly wobbly and get the dealer to replace the shocks lol. That's so evil.
Man they're not stupid like you think. They'll check all the ball jonts, every thing that they could find and tell you that your car was lower, no warranty....gl trying to cheat them....

Quick Reply: Any Regrets Dropping?