Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

OEM vs. Aftermarket swaysbars? whats the diffrence?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-07, 05:39 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by dung0981
I can not say anything, because i am very happy with the TRD . big different. I am using stock suspension. This is the only mod i have in my car, so it is not too stiff, but the handle is 10x better... I can feel it within 20mph. on the turn, the car completely flat. it worth for the money..i got the approval from GSteg
Fine, since you can't express it in words, I'm going to have to call you and get a ride

I'm glad you went with this route first.....and if you're still not happy, then you can the coilover$.

I might have to get the trd and sell my daizens and CS

For those who want the comfort while improving the handling, you should change your sways first and go from there.
Old 04-14-07, 09:06 PM
dung0981
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Fine, since you can't express it in words, I'm going to have to call you and get a ride

I'm glad you went with this route first.....and if you're still not happy, then you can the coilover$.

I might have to get the trd and sell my daizens and CS

For those who want the comfort while improving the handling, you should change your sways first and go from there.
You are more than welcome to do so... Lets me know
Check your PM for my new #
Old 04-29-07, 10:48 AM
jbw
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've pretty much decided on getting a set of swaybars..TRD or Daizen. How would the two brands compare in terms of handling/ride on a stock GS3?

Do I flip a coin?
Old 04-29-07, 10:49 AM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

TRD are stiffer than Daizen
Old 04-29-07, 11:06 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jbw
I've pretty much decided on getting a set of swaybars..TRD or Daizen. How would the two brands compare in terms of handling/ride on a stock GS3?

Do I flip a coin?
Dung0981 has stock suspension. His only mods are the TRD sway bars and the Daizen control arm bushings. I took a ride in his car and his car was damn flat through the corners. It's quite a bit flatter than my car when i had the daizen sways (mind you I also have l-tuned springs).

On straight road, his car is still comfortable. It's only until you hit lots and lots of potholes where you'll feel the stiffness. On those speed bumps, you can totally feel the ride is firm. It's not harsh, but rather firm.

If you are looking for the cushiest ride, stick to OEM sway bars. But if you dont mind firmness on your ride, go straight to the TRD.
Old 04-29-07, 11:17 AM
dung0981
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
Dung0981 has stock suspension. His only mods are the TRD sway bars and the Daizen control arm bushings. I took a ride in his car and his car was damn flat through the corners. It's quite a bit flatter than my car when i had the daizen sways (mind you I also have l-tuned springs).

On straight road, his car is still comfortable. It's only until you hit lots and lots of potholes where you'll feel the stiffness. On those speed bumps, you can totally feel the ride is firm. It's not harsh, but rather firm.

If you are looking for the cushiest ride, stick to OEM sway bars. But if you dont mind firmness on your ride, go straight to the TRD.
for the TRD
Old 05-07-07, 11:15 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Sways

I've had both!

I started with the Daizens sways and liked them a lot.

I still wanted more control and a flatter ride on curves so I added
all of the Tom's braces. i liked the improvement but the tail still wanted to slide out going up hill on a curve.

So I added JIC FLT2A coilovers and the car felt transformed.
Rear end had much less tendency to slide.

I kept hearing that the TRD Sways were even better than the Daizens for keeping the car flat on curves. Without going into the story I ended up switching to the TRD Sways and they do indeed make the car go around curves much flatter.

The downside is with all these mods it makes the ride less cushy.
That is a tradeoff i'm willing to pay to get the car to handle extremely well.
I know it is not for everyone and my wife does not like riding in my car.
You do feel every little bump.

Wife and I both have 99 GS400's. She has the Daizens Sways and all the Tom's braces and the car handles better than stock. She does not want to change the Shocks as she likes to retain some of the cushy ride.

Ivan
3dog
Old 05-12-07, 08:41 AM
rodel
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Okay help me out, does having a set of coilovers or even aftermarket shocks and springs help in some way with body roll, and least some? If not then I'm going to need one of those sway bars cuz I cannot stand that body roll.
Install either coilovers or aftermarket shocks and springs combo first. This way, get the reduce body roll that you're looking for and you'll also be lowering the stance of your car.

Then upgrade the anti-sway bars, which significantly reduces that body roll more than either the coilovers or shock and springs combo.

But if you want the immediate result of signaficantly reduce body roll, install the TRD sway bars first. The difference between stock and the TRD sway bars is like night and day.

Last edited by rodel; 05-12-07 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-12-07, 04:49 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rodel
Install either coilovers or aftermarket shocks and springs combo first. This way, get the reduce body roll that you're looking for and you'll also be lowering the stance of your car.

Then upgrade the anti-sway bars, which significantly reduces that body roll more than either the coilovers or shock and springs combo.

But if you want the immediate result of signaficantly reduce body roll, install the TRD sway bars first. The difference between stock and the TRD sway bars is like night and day.
Good tips Rodel. I saved for my records. I already have my lowering springs and new shocks but I started a new job and things have been hectic for me so I've yet to set a date for both to be installed. Thanx.
Old 05-14-07, 09:57 AM
rodel
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Good tips Rodel. I saved for my records. I already have my lowering springs and new shocks but I started a new job and things have been hectic for me so I've yet to set a date for both to be installed. Thanx.

No problem. Which springs and shocks did you go with?
Old 05-14-07, 07:13 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rodel
No problem. Which springs and shocks did you go with?
Oh I got the Bilstein HD shocks and the Tanabe DF210 lowering springs. I do intend on getting sway bars to complete my suspension mods.