Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

BBK for AWD from StopTech

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-11, 01:23 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by luxe88
I am looking into BBK for my AWD in the future... yes some people, that travel to snowy places regularly, do care for performance in the Summertime or when home in the City.
But that makes no sense.

"bigger" brakes don't stop the car any shorter than the stock ones in "snowy places"

or anywhere else for that matter.

If you want to stop better you need better tires- that is what stops the car.

(and most AWD owners just run crappy all seasons year-round, resulting in significantly inferior braking distance to if they ran winter tires in winter and summer tires the rest of the year... so that'd be a useful place for improvement for AWD owners... larger brakes won't do anything for em except waste money).
Old 09-20-11, 07:55 AM
luxe88
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

touche on the "stopping power in snow" aspect... but I am leaning more towards reliability and safety... just for if i'm overloaded or whatever... if BBKs are pointless for all situations other than overheating issues when it comes to racing performance, then why sell them as Big-Brake kits? I highly doubt the bigger brakes are purely for heat displacement over a larger surface....
Old 09-20-11, 08:28 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

touche on the "stopping power in snow" aspect... but I am leaning more towards reliability and safety... just for if i'm overloaded or whatever... if BBKs are pointless for all situations other than overheating issues when it comes to racing performance, then why sell them as Big-Brake kits?
Not following you here...

They are brake kits... and they are bigger... so what else would you call them?

I highly doubt the bigger brakes are purely for heat displacement over a larger surface....
And yet, they are.

well, they're for looks too... big brakes look cool. (and there's a couple other reasons, mostly other things you'll never deal with if not on a racetrack- see article at the end of this post for more info)

But as far as functionality in normal driving they gain you nothing.

Check out all the tests done on the Porsche PCCB kit- It's a $10,000 upgrade.

It stops the car in exactly the same distance as the stock brakes do.

The only time there's a measurable difference is if you are, say, stopping from 120 mph back-to-back-to-back (make that 10-20 times back to back before it begins to matter at all).

If you want to stop shorter, get better tires. The brakes don't stop the car, the tires do.

If you'd like to read up on exactly what upgrading any part of the brake system can and can not do for you, I highly recommend this article:

http://www.scirocco.org/faq/brakes/p...n/pfpage1.html