Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Ball Joints need to be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-07, 09:47 AM
whomiked
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball Joints need to be replaced?

Hey, I was wondering how can I tell if i'm going to have to replace the FLCA Ball Joints. When ever I reverse, and I move a bit you can actually see the whole wheel moving, it also pops. I already ordered some bushings from TM Enginering, but now i'm starting to think it's the ball joints. Thanks hit me up with some help.
Old 04-06-07, 03:20 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You technically can't replace them without a little research and some capable machining skills-- as you'd have to cut/press out the orig. and bore a press-fit sleeve for a ball joint from a vehicle that accepts replaceables-- the key is that it would need to have the identical taper to fit our spindle--

That shouldn't be that hard to do, I just don't have a shot LCA to work on-- someone told me they'd send me theirs and just never did it--

To Check your ball joints:

Use a dial indicator-- an acceptable amt. of play is normal-- this should be close to .005" -- if I remember correctly-- In other words, when you check for play, no play should be visible-- and definitely not audible, in as: clunks or pops..

Last edited by MJHSC400; 04-10-07 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-09-07, 09:13 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

For 99% of us, it's a new control arm. There's people in the classifieds parting out nice SC's with good parts. You might check in there for a replacement control arm, and slap your new bushings in them. Good luck.
Old 04-11-07, 12:06 AM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i thoguth ball joints were supposed to be checked wit a torque wrench?

correct me if im wrong...
Old 04-11-07, 09:48 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

You can't check play in thousandths of an inch with a torque wrench--

A very big flat blade ( like a 3 foot pry bar) with a dial indicator clamped to the LCA and the indiicator against the spindle in a proper spot will tell you your play-

Usually a few thousandths is acceptable, maybe up to .005" -- not sure on these specific ball joints though
Old 04-11-07, 07:58 PM
DHBomber
Driver School Candidate

I got one of these... use it all the time just for this...
http://www.channellock.com/acb/store...Tongu_P4C3.cfm
I just pinch the ball joint from the top and bottom... ANY movement is bad, when you give it a good pinch, you'll feel it.
miked- Sounds like your bushings are bad.
JG- The toyota RI says to check with the torque wrench, but that's a PIA.
Old 04-11-07, 08:01 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

There will be a few thousandths of play my man--- just not like .030" --

Those pliers may be a good method to try to make the joint move, but they wont read play in thousandths of an inch--

Check the FSM --
Old 04-11-07, 08:56 PM
DHBomber
Driver School Candidate

Have the FSM... if I used a dial indicator everytime on every ball joint I would never make time... basically, no move, look elsewhere, especially when dealing with excessive (and noticeable) wheel movement. A ball joint with
.005 (which is less than two pieces of paper stacked) play will not have wheel movement.
When dealing with the torque readings... a worn ball joint will have little resistance to spinning, where a new one can be pretty difficult to spin by hand period (same goes for tierods).
Old 04-11-07, 09:58 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I agree-- If you can SEE the movement-- it's sure as hell shot-- If it's not visible at all-- you may check with an indicator just to be sure--

But most of the time the bushings ARE the first to go and you most likely have shot bushings if you drive a Lexus that's over 10 years old period--
Old 04-14-07, 06:31 AM
Project300
Driver

Originally Posted by whomiked
Hey, I was wondering how can I tell if i'm going to have to replace the FLCA Ball Joints. When ever I reverse, and I move a bit you can actually see the whole wheel moving, it also pops. I already ordered some bushings from TM Enginering, but now i'm starting to think it's the ball joints. Thanks hit me up with some help.
Sounds like your tie rod ends are shot or your steering rack mounts are mush. Could be many things. My sway bar end links made a clunking noise when they went bad. I haven't heard of many ball joints failing before other suspension parts do first.

Last edited by Project300; 04-14-07 at 06:32 AM. Reason: duh
Old 04-14-07, 11:29 PM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

I'm in the same situation, I've been unable to reach todd though.. finally tried email today.

My ball joints were approaching the end of their life, so I ordered new LCA's from Aliga, not sure if I can recover the diazen bushes, I think they are gone, so right now I have he replacement LCA's and oem bushes..

Been trying to contact Todd to order new sleeves and then I can order new bushes from diazen.. I really like the POLY's they seem to absorb more of the impact on the road.
Old 04-14-07, 11:57 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

If you can see the wheel moving (I missed when you said that) --- It's no doubt your bushings--

That's asymptomatic for bushings being worn out-- strange popping, clunking, and bad alignment problems-- really the whole freakin lower arm is just flopping back and forth at the mercy of the wind--

Get those suckers replaced pronto-- you'll thank yourself-- Lexus designed these LCA bushes to last about 60k ~ 80k -- that's it-- That's a HELL of a lot of miles in Japan-- usually takes 15 years to put that many miles on a car there-- so they planned well, but didnt' design the 200k mile possibility into them-- I doubt they cared-- more maintenance revenue--
Old 04-15-07, 12:33 PM
whomiked
Pole Position

Cool, thanks for the help man. I'll probably be putting them in very soon, no time at the moment.
Old 04-17-07, 01:55 PM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

btw when we talk about ball joints? which ones go bad? does both upper and lower arms have the joints that go bad?
Old 04-17-07, 08:25 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

The uppers rarely go bad-- most are still fine after 200k + --

Quick Reply: Ball Joints need to be replaced?