Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

need help w/ stock suspension PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-07, 07:08 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default need help w/ stock suspension PLEASE

Recently, I discovered in the inside of my front two tires have been worn smooth, and the driver's sign has even worn down so the steel in the tire is visible. My tires are 225/40/R18 on 7.5'' wide 18'' rims with +45 offset by the way, and I have stock suspension

So i took this to a tire shop to get an alignment and hopefully solve the whole uneven tire wear problem. They said they can't align it for me unless I have stock rims or something and then the guy told me this morning that the sides are uneven, that the passenger side sits higher so that he can't align it. I thought this might have been because the previous owner only switched the passenger side spring as the car had been in a collision so the spring was newer and didnt sag like the drivers side. He said, if I brought in new springs and new tires, he could fix everything for me for $170.

He also said something about how I need a camber kit due to the fact that SC's don't come with camber adjustment.

After doing some searching on the forums, I read all Lexus sit lower on the left side, so now I don't know whether or not to believe the guy when he says he can fix it with different springs. Also if he IS right, could I just use a different set of used springs?

If anyone could help me that would be great.

Thanks
Old 04-13-07, 07:27 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Coilovers could help correct the uneveness. Also there is a degree or so of stock adjustment I believe for camber. Otherwise, a camber kit is available from Daizen. It sounds like you probably have another issue somewhere though that should be worked out first.
Old 04-13-07, 07:28 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

The SC has a bit of camber adjustment, just not a ton of it. My buddy that works at a Lexus dealership was able to align my car so I don't see why it can't be done to yours (unless the problem is more than just an alignment issue).
Old 04-13-07, 07:32 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles do you have on your SC? If the car was in a wreck the frame could be bent or you just need to freshen up all the bushings or put in the LCA's from a supra and then you get new balljoints too. I got mine from Crson Toyota about 200.00 each. Cheaper amd better than just doing the bushings
Old 04-13-07, 10:31 PM
mrhappi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC400DAVE
How many miles do you have on your SC? If the car was in a wreck the frame could be bent or you just need to freshen up all the bushings or put in the LCA's from a supra and then you get new balljoints too. I got mine from Crson Toyota about 200.00 each. Cheaper amd better than just doing the bushings
I would have to agree with Sc400DAVE on this one. If the car was in an accident then there might have been some frame and/or suspension damage. If I was in your case I would first try and have a body shop look over it. If there is frame damage you could get it fixed then and there. My 2 cents.
Old 04-14-07, 07:47 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I hate to say it, but there is a TON of adjustment in the camber of an SC...

I've personally done alignments on these cars (even ones other shops claimed not possible)

My current car, lowered, can be adjusted from -1 degree to -4 degrees in the rear, and -.5 to -3 in the front... I've personally witnessed this and done it, and I have stock everything except supra shocks / Tein springs...

Part of your problem stems from your incorrect tire size, but that shouldn't keep them from doing an alignment... we don't have any real special alignment machine, and we can do anything from 13's to 26's on almost any kind of vehicle...

you need to find a different shop...
Old 04-28-07, 07:32 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

ok so I took my car to firestone finally for an alignment and get some new tires on.. total cost was for lifetime alignment .. balancing.. mounting 2 tires.. came out to $200. plus $150 i spent on some hankooks.. so i was thinking.. ok im done.. but noo..

sc400dave was right. im in desperate need of some new LCA's.... so they wanted to charge me $700 each PLUS $638 for labor..soo $2038 total.. im thinking.. ..well pratically crying in my mind.. because keep in mind I'm an unemployed high schooler.. so i just said. i'll come back later

so as i understand, I can get some new supra LCA's for $400 total? and how much would you guys expect me to have to pay for the labor to get them installed.. in anyone knows anywhere in socal (562) that would be great.

thanks
Old 04-29-07, 10:33 AM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SCboy
ok so I took my car to firestone finally for an alignment and get some new tires on.. total cost was for lifetime alignment .. balancing.. mounting 2 tires.. came out to $200. plus $150 i spent on some hankooks.. so i was thinking.. ok im done.. but noo..

sc400dave was right. im in desperate need of some new LCA's.... so they wanted to charge me $700 each PLUS $638 for labor..soo $2038 total.. im thinking.. ..well pratically crying in my mind.. because keep in mind I'm an unemployed high schooler.. so i just said. i'll come back later

so as i understand, I can get some new supra LCA's for $400 total? and how much would you guys expect me to have to pay for the labor to get them installed.. in anyone knows anywhere in socal (562) that would be great.

thanks
Just go to Carson Toyota (call first) pick up your parts and go to West End Alignment in Gardena and have Darin handle the whole job for you. Don't go to Firestone or any of those places. Go to someone who is an expert. We own one of the best all time Lexus vehicles. You want to go to people who know our cars. Todd @ TM Engineering is another guy to talk to. He is in Carson. Not too far Carson Toyota or West End.
Old 05-01-07, 10:55 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Just thought of something. You said the center of each tire is worn......normally misalignment affects the edges of the tires first. Center is more indicative of over-inflation. What psi are you running in the fronts?
Old 05-01-07, 02:52 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Just thought of something. You said the center of each tire is worn......normally misalignment affects the edges of the tires first. Center is more indicative of over-inflation. What psi are you running in the fronts?
thanks dave

sorry i meant the inside edges not the center.. so yea it was an alignment issue as well as LCA.. im going to go get the car checked out by a family mechanic.. so he can let me know if all i need are new bushings

thanks guys