Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Will these clear big brake upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-07, 10:13 PM
tommyt811
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will these clear big brake upgrades?

I've been looking around alot lately and been trying to find rims that will clear big brake upgrade.

As of right now i have a 93 sc400 on stock suspension and stock rims(10 spoke).

the rims i am looking for are just 18" mesh rims. Im only planning to get rims and brakes and tires. Im not trying to roll fenders or do any type of modifications just yet. I just need new wheels to keep me satisfied now until i save up more money.

So what im asking is to list a few mesh rims for me to look at that will clear big brake upgrades.

on a budgest of $1500-$2000, for rims and tires.

i've been looking at HP Evos, and RPM r505.

On another note, what are spacers? and is it better to get rims that will clear big brakes? or just get any rims and get spacers? are they hard to put on?.

Sorry about all the questions, but im a noob.

Thank you.
Old 04-14-07, 11:20 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyt811
So what im asking is to list a few mesh rims for me to look at that will clear big brake upgrades.
The rims you look for will have to specify "high disc" fitment. Since you are on a budget, I am assuming the brake upgrades you are looking at are from the 95-00 LS400 and 93-98 Supra Turbo. Both of these brake upgrades involve MASSIVE four piston calipers that require 2.75+" of space between the rotor and the wheel spokes. If a wheel you are looking at does not specify high, medium, or low disc fitment, you can always email or call the manufacturer to find out.

On another note, what are spacers? and is it better to get rims that will clear big brakes? or just get any rims and get spacers? are they hard to put on?
Spacers are metal discs that slide over your lug nuts to extend the hub of the wheels outward. Hubcentric wheel spacers that will allow the wheel to rest comfortably on the wheel hub and NOT the wheel lug bolts are not cheap. Even these spacers are increasing the chance of shearing a lug bolt. IT IS ALWAYS BEST TO BUY PROPER FITTING WHEELS.

My advice:
Go to the www.tirerack.com and look for mesh 18s that fit the 98 Supra Turbo. If the Tire Rack is suggesting these wheels for the Supra Turbo, you can be assured that they will clear big brake calipers. In addition, they tend to offer wheels for the Supra with offsets that better fill the wheel wells in comparison to the stock wheels. In my opinion, this is a good starting point.

If you are worried about rolling your fenders (and you shouldn't be...I own a fender roller that I could loan you to get the job done right), then try to keep the offsets higher. +40 offsets will be able to fit about as wide of a tire as you would like. +35 offsets will force you to stay about 255-265 in the rear to avoid an unrolled fender. Wheel width plays a major role as well. I am assuming you are not looking at 18x11 wheels if you are on a budget and not looking to have any fender mods.

Done right, you can roll your fenders, fit more agressive wheels, not adversely affecting your car's body, and have a car that looks that much more exclusive.
Old 04-15-07, 03:13 PM
tommyt811
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you so much for all the helpful information.

The widths im looking for is maybe 8 up front and 9 in back, or maybe just 8 all around or 9 all around. What do you suggest? I think i'll go with same all around but dunno whether to go 8 or 9. Help me out.

As for tire...should i just go with the tirerack size reccommendations?
Old 04-15-07, 04:21 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thank you so much for all the helpful information.

The widths im looking for is maybe 8 up front and 9 in back, or maybe just 8 all around or 9 all around. What do you suggest? I think i'll go with same all around but dunno whether to go 8 or 9. Help me out.

As for tire...should i just go with the tirerack size reccommendations?
I would stagger the set up by running different wheels and tires in the front and the back. It looks way better.

I am running a 19x9 +37 up front, which is conservatively flush with the fender. If I ran that exact same wheel in the rear, I would be sunk in from the fender by 10mm. By staggering your wheels and tires, your car can really come alive.