Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY: IS350 front brakes (w/o removing caliper)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-07, 08:12 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tdrag97
can we have this in a pdf file..
Sure. That's easy.
Old 05-11-07, 06:15 AM
tdrag97
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Sure. That's easy.

sweet thx
Old 05-11-07, 07:04 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

You will find that if you change the pads sooner (approx 2/3 to ¾ worn), there will be less need to resurface the rotors. Get a couple sets of pads and change them sooner. For me it will be approx 15K miles. Pads are much cheaper then pads and rotors. I have been able to get great life out of rotors in the past this way. Also if you lay into the brakes hard (Get them really hot), try not to hold the bakes if you have to stop. I will stop away from the light and let the car idle forward so the extremely hot pads/calipers are not sitting in one spot on the rotors for any period of time. You can also bump the vehicle into neutral and release the brakes while waiting for the light. This is only needed when you have been driving at high speeds and had to lay into the brakes hard or had to use the brakes allot (maybe downhill). Also remember to torque the lugs, it is very important.

Koz
Old 05-11-07, 07:12 AM
tdrag97
Pit Crew

what is the recommended miles/time to change pads?
Old 05-11-07, 07:55 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tdrag97
what is the recommended miles/time to change pads?
There isn't a recommended mileage or time to change the pads, just to inspect them. Brakes are like tires in that they wear out at different rates based on driving habits.
Old 05-11-07, 10:34 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

How do you check them? I tried looking through my spokes but can't see anything between the calipers... do I have to unmount the wheel?
Old 05-11-07, 08:55 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by socalJD
Just to bring closure to this thread, can you also expand on how you 'bedded' the new brake pads. The average DIYer may not know the best or recommended method to bed the pads . . .
I used the method described here by StopTech. I live very close to the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, and there's a never-ending loop that goes around the stadium and golf course, which is perfect for bedding brake pads:
Originally Posted by StopTech
Bedding-in Street-Performance Pads

For a typical performance brake system using street-performance pads, a series of ten partial braking events, from 60mph down to 10mph, will typically raise the temperature of the brake components sufficiently to be considered one bed-in set. Each of the ten partial braking events should achieve moderate-to-high deceleration (about 80 to 90% of the deceleration required to lock up the brakes and/or to engage the ABS), and they should be made one after the other, without allowing the brakes to cool in between.

Depending on the make-up of the pad material, the brake friction will seem to gain slightly in performance, and will then lose or fade somewhat by around the fifth stop (also about the time that a friction smell will be detectable in the passenger compartment). This does not indicate that the brakes are bedded-in. This phenomenon is known as a green fade, as it is characteristic of immature or ‘green' pads, in which the resins still need to be driven out of the pad material, at the point where the pads meet the rotors. In this circumstance, the upper temperature limit of the friction material will not yet have been reached.

As when bedding-in any set of brakes, care should be taken regarding the longer stopping distance necessary with incompletely bedded pads. This first set of stops in the bed-in process is only complete when all ten stops have been performed - not before. The system should then be allowed to cool, by driving the vehicle at the highest safe speed for the circumstances, without bringing it to a complete stop with the brakes still applied. After cooling the vehicle, a second set of ten partial braking events should be performed, followed by another cooling exercise. In some situations, a third set is beneficial, but two are normally sufficient.
You should do this whether you change your own brakes or not, because I guarantee you the dealership (or whoever else changes your brake pads) is not going to do this for you.

Javier
Old 05-11-07, 09:16 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Every brake pad manufacturer has slightly different bedding procedures they recommend. The one I use differs from StopTech's in that I like to do several light / cold braking events to clean the rotors before heating them or the pads up. Doing that adds a lot of planning, mileage, and time to the process since you have to allow lots of cool down time between each minor braking event, and can't really do any surface street driving at all after installing the pads.
Old 05-11-07, 09:20 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Originally Posted by FrankyJ
any 250 DYI coming?

and if someone can tell me how much the dealer charges for the change of brakes ill appreciate it, thanks
I'll do a DIY once my girlfriend's 250 pads need replacing. Dealer brake jobs usually run upwards of $350.

Javier
Old 05-11-07, 09:30 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Originally Posted by jewel
How do you check them? I tried looking through my spokes but can't see anything between the calipers... do I have to unmount the wheel?
Yes, you'll have to unmount the wheel. You should be able to use a flashlight and look for a division between the two halves of the pad:

Once they're flat and you can't see the division in the middle of the pad, that means your brake pads look like this, and need to be changed ASAP:

Javier
Old 05-11-07, 09:45 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I can see my outer front pads without removing the wheels, but they aren't OEM wheels.
Old 05-17-07, 01:40 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by jewel
No. Use a digital camera, or just look at the pad on the disc as shown in these pictures:

Hold the light like this.

See the split in the middle of this front pad? That tells you there is a lot of pad left. If the split is gone, you're getting close to time to replace. Minimum thickness is 1mm.

Here's a view of the rear pad. They don't wear nearly as quickly as the fronts, because the fronts are doing the bulk of the work.

FWIW, I had over 20k on my brakes when I took these pics. I wear out brakes very slowly, as I believe they are for the timid and those who fail to successfully plan ahead while driving.
Old 05-17-07, 06:10 AM
tdrag97
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No. Use a digital camera, or just look at the pad on the disc as shown in these pictures:

Hold the light like this.

See the split in the middle of this front pad? That tells you there is a lot of pad left. If the split is gone, you're getting close to time to replace. Minimum thickness is 1mm.

Here's a view of the rear pad. They don't wear nearly as quickly as the fronts, because the fronts are doing the bulk of the work.

FWIW, I had over 20k on my brakes when I took these pics. I wear out brakes very slowly, as I believe they are for the timid and those who fail to successfully plan ahead while driving.

NICE PIc...
Old 05-17-07, 07:02 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great write up! Excellent pics!
Old 05-17-07, 11:31 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I call BS, you had the TSIB done - so naturally your pads will last longer than the rest of us on our original pads . . .

Last edited by socalJD; 05-17-07 at 11:49 AM. Reason: smilie

Quick Reply: DIY: IS350 front brakes (w/o removing caliper)