Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake dust TSB for is250 owners (TSB now released, attached) merged threads

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-07, 01:13 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jchuang8
Went in for service on my 250 just last week. If you are in so-cal, Lexus of Glendale will do the swap for is250 warranty coverage, but splits the labor with you (since the TSIB is only for the 350). The total cost to you tax not inclusive is $150. He did warn me about stopping power, not sure how true that is, but food for thought.
TSIB for IS250 came out last week dated 4/27/07. I'm assuming it will be free since this is an official TSIB from Lexus for Alternative Front Brake Pads for '06/'07 IS250.
Old 05-02-07, 01:18 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Doesnt make sense. ALL 250 models should have the same brake pads.
That's what the parts dept told me. Why would I make this up? Anyways, appt made for Friday. Hopefully the dust problem goes away otherwise will go back to original pads or maybe switch to EBC green/red pads.
Old 05-02-07, 01:22 PM
jchuang8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by is4fsr
That's what the parts dept told me. Why would I make this up? Anyways, appt made for Friday. Hopefully the dust problem goes away otherwise will go back to original pads or maybe switch to EBC green/red pads.
Good deal keep us posted on the results... and while you're at it, slam on the brakes a few times at various speeds, and provide a report will ya? haha thanks for the info!
Old 05-02-07, 02:32 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jchuang8
Thanks for the heads up! Not to worry i didn't get it done. Have you had them changed? and if so any difference in stopping power? Emergency brake situations where you have to slam on the brakes? Thanks Ben
No I havent had it done yet.... I was waiting to hear from you guys what difference you noticed. I have a friend getting it done on his 350 this week so I am waiting to get his input too.
Old 05-02-07, 07:42 PM
Jay1977
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexudv
Just called Tustin Lexus and even though they haven't heard of revised TSB he said to just bring in a copy of it to verify.
Just called Tustin Lexus and confirmed the TSB and told me FREE
(first the stupid lady said $400 for the brakes!!!!!!! and SAID TSB is out
for the IS250 , put me on hold for like 10 secs and said FREE)
So I will take mine in and hopefully the annoying squeak noise will be gone
as well as less brake dust...
Old 05-02-07, 09:13 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

i got mine doneeeeeeeeeeeee alreadyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! haha i made this thread i didnt know someone can change the title too it cool lol
Old 05-03-07, 12:15 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

wooot i am calling in tommrmow
Old 05-03-07, 07:34 AM
FrankyJ
Lexus Test Driver

i called my dealership and they said NO, and i said, well maybe im confusing it with the IS350 one, and they said, "there is no 350 TSB either"

what u think? change the place i get my lexus serviced?
Old 05-03-07, 07:59 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Here's my 2 cents regarding this TSB bandwagon:

Not everyone that owns an ISx50 bought it for performance. Many are happy about this TSB because they don't have to deal with the brake dust as often as they used to. I can't stand dirty wheels especially after I just cleaned it. I wipe the front wheels every other day. Now, it will be once a week, hopefully longer. I doubt I will regret swapping because my car don’t stop like it used to. I also doubt the difference will be night and day. My driving style does not require a lot of heavy braking. Yes there will be times emergency braking will be needed. But looking back at my driving experience, I never needed a high performance braking system to avoid an accident.

So for those of you who don't care much about performance, IMO, this is a plus. And yes, my dealer said this is free.

Last edited by Flipsonic; 05-03-07 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-03-07, 08:45 AM
jchuang8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by M1sTa801
i got mine doneeeeeeeeeeeee alreadyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! haha i made this thread i didnt know someone can change the title too it cool lol
how do you like it so far? I read one users results as far as stopping power, and how it is effected. I'm sure other people in this thread would also appreciate if you could shed some light on how you like/dislike the change? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-03-07, 09:55 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Flipsonic
Here's my 2 cents regarding this TSB bandwagon:

Not everyone that owns an ISx50 bought it for performance. Many are happy about this TSB because they don't have to deal with the brake dust as often as they used to. I can't stand dirty wheels especially after I just cleaned it. I wipe the front wheels every other day. Now, it will be once a week, hopefully longer. I doubt I will regret swapping because my car don’t stop like it used to. I also doubt the difference will be night and day. My driving style does not require a lot of heavy braking. Yes there will be times emergency braking will be needed. But looking back at my driving experience, I never needed a high performance braking system to avoid an accident.

So for those of you who don't care much about performance, IMO, this is a plus. And yes, my dealer said this is free.
Im with you buddy. I dont care about braking power, I dont drive like a mad man. Id rather have better looking, cleaner rims all the time instead!
Old 05-03-07, 02:26 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Im with you buddy. I dont care about braking power, I dont drive like a mad man. Id rather have better looking, cleaner rims all the time instead!
kinda of an ignorant statement no? Braking is just as important if not most imporatnt when driving regardless how slow or fast you drive.

i went to get my tsb done for the new brakes but my friend said a few customesr came in complaining about brake dust and when they got the new brakes on they came back the very next day wanting the old brakes again.

so i got the original pads installed.
Old 05-03-07, 03:18 PM
hashs99
Driver

Originally Posted by ihkskim
kinda of an ignorant statement no? Braking is just as important if not most imporatnt when driving regardless how slow or fast you drive.

i went to get my tsb done for the new brakes but my friend said a few customesr came in complaining about brake dust and when they got the new brakes on they came back the very next day wanting the old brakes again.

Took my car in today and they ordered the new pads for me. I'm assuming all new IS 250's will come with these new pads from the factory. I don't think the stopping power will differ that much. Not enough to make people want the old brakes back. Obviously, the new brake pads fall within safety specs.
Old 05-03-07, 03:35 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ihkskim

Ouch... ignorant? Like I said man... Its something I dont care about. I never said it was something of general importance.
Old 05-03-07, 03:39 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

welll.. soo.. no more brake dust.. and braking sucks! lol jk its not soo bad.. you can really tell that performance is not as good as the old dusty brake pads but what the hey.. the brake works well enough for me.. just a thought for people who brake late.. BRAKE SOONER lol

Last edited by Pnuge88; 05-03-07 at 03:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake dust TSB for is250 owners (TSB now released, attached) merged threads