Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake dust TSB for is250 owners (TSB now released, attached) merged threads

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-07, 03:48 PM
SParker1tx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They dont brake as well but what about the squeaking?? Did it get rid of the squeaking also??
Old 05-03-07, 04:00 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SParker1tx
They dont brake as well but what about the squeaking?? Did it get rid of the squeaking also??
braking performance sacrificed for no squeeking (so far) and less dust.. when i think about it.. i dont really care but i would choose the performance over the dust! cause even though i downshift to slow down.. its not like me driving my brothers prelude or tl-s.. the car doesnt slow down quick enough so you gotta use your brakes so i think that sucks! lexus tried to help save gas.. so when you let go of the gas pedal.. it slows down very slow.. lol for people who like to let go of the gas pedal and rev it back up and let go and rev it back up.. and so forth.. i absolutely HATE it.. plus.. i would like to add on how crappy the throttle response is.. UGH... but anyways back on to the subject! less brake performance = no dust or squeeking..

Last edited by Pnuge88; 05-03-07 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-03-07, 08:56 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Ouch... ignorant? Like I said man... Its something I dont care about. I never said it was something of general importance.
i wasn't trying to be mean or anything. just sharing my point of views. i woudl choose performance over looks. my wheels are such a pain in the *** to clean espeically whe nits polished lip inside and outside the spokes.
Old 05-03-07, 09:22 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by is4fsr
Spoke with Lexus parts dept and gave them the new part #. The guy said the new part # is for the AWD version.

IS250 RWD front brake pad kit - current pads #04465-53020,
new pads #04465-53030

According to dealer parts dept the new part # is listed for the AWD version.
I think this actually might make sense. While many 250 owners are complaining of the dust, my 250 AWD barely gets any dust and hasn't squeaked yet. I don't have to clean them but I only clean them so they look new and I just do them like once every month and a half. So I guess if the new part is the AWD version of brake pads (supposedly), then I don't need to get it done (not like I was going to anyways)
Old 05-03-07, 09:28 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by iskcon
I think this actually might make sense. While many 250 owners are complaining of the dust, my 250 AWD barely gets any dust and hasn't squeaked yet. I don't have to clean them but I only clean them so they look new and I just do them like once every month and a half. So I guess if the new part is the AWD version of brake pads (supposedly), then I don't need to get it done (not like I was going to anyways)
interesting..
Old 05-04-07, 05:54 AM
syn1313
Rookie

still having problems with these damm dealers.....
Old 05-04-07, 07:14 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Well they could in fact be different pads too with different part numbers and just made out of the same dust-less material right?
Old 05-04-07, 07:38 AM
neil0311
Rookie

Don't know about you, but I've had my 250 AWD for 2 weeks now, and the dust is pretty bad. If the AWD has the improved pads, then I'd hate to see the non-improved ones. I called my dealer and plan to have the pads swapped at my 5K service.

BTW, just as an aside....does everyone who owns an IS live in California? :-D
Old 05-04-07, 08:09 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

There is NO difference in the brake pads between the RWD and AWD IS250's The part number for both is 04465-53020. It is a very dusty pad. The new "less dusty" pad is a 04465-53030. It is a brand new part number and fits NO other application. The part number is not even listed in the current parts book, only the TSB.

This is right out of the book:
GSE21 is the IS350 and the GSE20 and 25 are RWD and AWD, respectively.
Attached Thumbnails Brake dust TSB for is250 owners (TSB now released, attached) merged threads-brakes1.jpg  
Old 05-05-07, 10:56 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Flipsonic
Here's my 2 cents regarding this TSB bandwagon:

Not everyone that owns an ISx50 bought it for performance. Many are happy about this TSB because they don't have to deal with the brake dust as often as they used to. I can't stand dirty wheels especially after I just cleaned it. I wipe the front wheels every other day. Now, it will be once a week, hopefully longer. I doubt I will regret swapping because my car don’t stop like it used to. I also doubt the difference will be night and day. My driving style does not require a lot of heavy braking. Yes there will be times emergency braking will be needed. But looking back at my driving experience, I never needed a high performance braking system to avoid an accident.

So for those of you who don't care much about performance, IMO, this is a plus. And yes, my dealer said this is free.
There is no doubt that the newer pads fit certain users better. The question is, why do people think Lexus owes it to them to replace the part for free, when the original pads aren't actually defective? Isn't it perfectly reasonable for Lexus to offer the lower dust pads as an option the owner pays for?

Should Lexus offer a TSB for a detuned 3.5L engine down to 250HP because I prefer more MPG and don't really need 306HP?
Old 05-05-07, 11:14 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by sirkfc
There is no doubt that the newer pads fit certain users better. The question is, why do people think Lexus owes it to them to replace the part for free, when the original pads aren't actually defective? Isn't it perfectly reasonable for Lexus to offer the lower dust pads as an option the owner pays for?

Should Lexus offer a TSB for a detuned 3.5L engine down to 250HP because I prefer more MPG and don't really need 306HP?
As for me, I don't feel Lexus owes it to me. If they decided to charge people, I still would've swapped. I would swap when the pads need replacement. I was even considering replacing them with EBC. Now, it's for free.

I do have to give props to Lexus for listening to its customers. Not many car manufacturers will do this.
Old 05-05-07, 12:48 PM
sdub74
Rookie

I'm going in for my 20K service next week and I've been noticing my front wheels are black a couple days after a wash, so I'll be sure to bring this up with the service adviser. Thanks for the info!
Old 05-05-07, 02:14 PM
MattyL147
Driver

well had my appt. today at 3, when i got there, i had a copy of the tsb (which my service rep stated that he already knew about), they took my car; i then left because he said it would be about 2 hours. after about 20 minutes i get a phone call saying that they dont have the pads and they're pulling my car off the lift. my rep said that he would order the pads and call me when they arrive. don't u think he should've checked on this before letting me leave and putting my car on the lift??
Old 05-05-07, 02:41 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by MattyL147
well had my appt. today at 3, when i got there, i had a copy of the tsb (which my service rep stated that he already knew about), they took my car; i then left because he said it would be about 2 hours. after about 20 minutes i get a phone call saying that they dont have the pads and they're pulling my car off the lift. my rep said that he would order the pads and call me when they arrive. don't u think he should've checked on this before letting me leave and putting my car on the lift??
When I made my appt. I asked them to check if they had the parts. She checked and said they had it. I should've asked if it was the correct part # she checked. I took my car in yesterday and received a call that they didn't have the parts. The girl that checked must have checked the original part #. It took only a day for them to get the less dusty pads. I'm picking it up in an hour. I'll let everyone know how it is performing.
Old 05-05-07, 04:10 PM
MLEE4984
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Flipsonic
As for me, I don't feel Lexus owes it to me. If they decided to charge people, I still would've swapped. I would swap when the pads need replacement. I was even considering replacing them with EBC. Now, it's for free.

I do have to give props to Lexus for listening to its customers. Not many car manufacturers will do this.
Agreed! I guess enough people made complaints regarding this issue so they decided to listen to the customers' feedback. It's not about the owners being cheap and taking advantage of Lexus. I'm not happy with the brakes that squeak and causing excessive brake dust. I pay $35k for a car that is above average, I expect customer service that is above average. Just my $.02.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Brake dust TSB for is250 owners (TSB now released, attached) merged threads