Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake dust TSB for is250 owners (TSB now released, attached) merged threads

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-07 | 07:28 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cbbkrayz
Agreed! I guess enough people made complaints regarding this issue so they decided to listen to the customers' feedback. It's not about the owners being cheap and taking advantage of Lexus. I'm not happy with the brakes that squeak and causing excessive brake dust. I pay $35k for a car that is above average, I expect customer service that is above average. Just my $.02.

-Mike
My thoughts EXACTLY!!!! I am hopefully going to take mine in not the saturday but next to have the brakes changed and some other stuff done.
Old 05-05-07 | 09:20 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

I got mine back today and just as I thought, I'm not dissapointed. I didn't want to brake too much since I don't know if these new pads need breaking in first. But the times I tried braking hard, it didn't feel subpar at all. It still feels the same to me. Again, I'm just an average daily driver so I may not be as sensitive as others.

I didn't speak to the service advisor when I left so if there is a procedure to break these new pads in, please share it.

One thing I am dissapointed about is not related to the brakes. When I got my car, I walked around to make sure there are no scratches. Then there it is. A two inch gash on the lip of my Lexion rims! I was so furious the guy that handed me the key fob just stayed back and didn't want to be close to me. I have been so careful not to scratch my rims all this time and now this. So he got the manager right away. The manager apologized and said he will take care of it. Now I have to go back again to get the rims fixed. Who knows what else will get scratched next time.
Old 05-05-07 | 09:47 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

the new pads work just fine! a little less performance but still good! some ****er cut me off today and made a hard brake and quick turn and the brakes worked perfectly fine when i had to make a quick brake before i coulda hit him.. what are people complaining about.. a VERY LITTLE loss of performance, NO SQUEEKING, and NO DUST!
Old 05-05-07 | 11:38 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

What dealership in OC is everyone getting theirs done at? How is Misson Viejo or Westminster Lexus service dept?? Which one should I go to?
Old 05-06-07 | 09:03 AM
rroy
Pole Position

I have 16k miles and plan to get the new pads. My dealer suggested that I have the rotors resurfaced which cost $215.

Do you all recommend having the rotors resurfaced?
Is $215 expensive?
Old 05-06-07 | 09:34 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

If you ask the dealer for your original brake pads back, will they give them to you? (In case you don't like the feel of the new ones) I assume it's ok to put them back on if there's life left in them?
Old 05-06-07 | 11:04 AM
lexudv
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
What dealership in OC is everyone getting theirs done at? How is Misson Viejo or Westminster Lexus service dept?? Which one should I go to?
I got mine at Tustin Lexus. Even though I felt a little bad since my pads were worn out. They replaced them no charge !!! They have really good service there.

On a side note, I only notice a small difference in performance, but not enough to make me regret it.
Old 05-06-07 | 12:09 PM
siren05
Driver School Candidate

f$^k I have deep dish chrome lip its my third lexus and I have never seen so much brake dust,the dust is actually destroying my finish.they should replace my pads in front or my rims lexus has the choice
Old 05-06-07 | 02:41 PM
FrankyJ
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by siren05
f$^k I have deep dish chrome lip its my third lexus and I have never seen so much brake dust,the dust is actually destroying my finish.they should replace my pads in front or my rims lexus has the choice
yea my front chrome wheels are basically stained now
Old 05-06-07 | 03:18 PM
bdoggie28
Driver School Candidate

So to get my brakes changed do I just call the dealership or do I have to fill out a form from somewhere and send it in? ...I know this is a dumb question but I need to know!
Old 05-06-07 | 03:42 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FrankyJ
yea my front chrome wheels are basically stained now
Yep, thats why im all over this ASAP!
Old 05-06-07 | 08:30 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Originally Posted by rroy
I have 16k miles and plan to get the new pads. My dealer suggested that I have the rotors resurfaced which cost $215.

Do you all recommend having the rotors resurfaced?
Is $215 expensive?
The Lexus Factory Service Manual specifically says to not resurface the rotors unless they are severly scored, in which case the manual says to replace them. I wouldn't let them resurface my rotors for free, much less $215.

Javier
Old 05-06-07 | 10:54 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Default New pads

Had the pads replaced yesterday. Definitely noticed the difference in braking power. Not as grabby but stops okay IMO. Slammed the brakes twice at 50mph and stopping distance is longer than the original. Will keep you guys posted after a week or so regarding dust and brake performance.
Old 05-07-07 | 12:09 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by is4fsr
Had the pads replaced yesterday. Definitely noticed the difference in braking power. Not as grabby but stops okay IMO. Slammed the brakes twice at 50mph and stopping distance is longer than the original. Will keep you guys posted after a week or so regarding dust and brake performance.
at first the brakes are crappy but now that i drive it, it feels a bit more responsive and brakes works fine now to me since it was installed.. i kinda like it though cause the brakes arent too sensitive no more lol
Old 05-07-07 | 01:32 AM
pylee257
Lead Lap

Default Bulllllllllll

i went the lexus of glendale today for the TSIB on the is250. and since i changed my pads already (even though the pads were directly from the dealership) they said that i was not elligible for the TSIB. LAAAMEEE.

Quick Reply: Brake dust TSB for is250 owners (TSB now released, attached) merged threads