Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake dust TSB for is250 owners (TSB now released, attached) merged threads

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-07, 01:39 AM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the braking performance really that noticeable???
Old 05-07-07, 09:32 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vApor21
IMO, no. But it depends who you talk to.
Old 05-07-07, 09:35 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by bdoggie28
So to get my brakes changed do I just call the dealership or do I have to fill out a form from somewhere and send it in? ...I know this is a dumb question but I need to know!
Just call the dealership and set up an appointment. Make sure they have the parts first. That's it.
Old 05-07-07, 09:54 AM
tmm0f5
Driver School Candidate

I had my new TSIB brakes done yesterday. There is an extremely mild decrease in performance. If you have to slam on your brakes, the performance is still there. For normal city driving I actually LOVE the new brakes. It gives a much smoother ride. The other brakes were so grabby! I hated them. Felt like I had to learn to drive all over again to give a smooth drive. Now with the new brakes it is way smooth.

And the brake dust is SIGNIFICANTLY LESS!
Old 05-07-07, 03:57 PM
Stojens
Driver School Candidate

Yup, I went to Magnussens Lexus here in Fremont, Ca and they were able to replace the brakes and the dash rattles. There's a slight difference in the braking performance, but nothing too bad. Just like others have experienced, the new brakes are better with city stop and go driving since they don't catch so easily when driving slow ( Stick slip feel ).

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the brakes and the service provided by Lexus of Fremont, CA
Old 05-07-07, 05:06 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Only mild difference. Not "grabby" at all. I don't feel like some1 is giving me a push everytime I stepped on the brakes. We'll see. Will keep u posted after a week or so.
Old 05-07-07, 07:45 PM
acl15
Lead Lap

so no one's going to wait for the rotor TSIB?
Old 05-08-07, 05:29 AM
syn1313
Rookie

Rotors TSIB ?? im still trying to get my stupid dealer to do my pads.. keep getting the run around.. They are still telling me to wait to get some letter in the mail... this really pisssssss me offfffffff
Old 05-08-07, 05:36 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

you won't get anything in the mail from them about it. it's not a recall. my friend has a lexus he's had for 4 years now that had several tsib's he found on here and he never got one thing in the mail about them. your dealer is wrong!
Old 05-08-07, 05:38 AM
rroy
Pole Position

Last week went to my dealer with a print out of this TSB. They asked me if I wanted my rotors resurfaced at a price of $215; and I told them I'll think about it because I didnt want to commit at the time. So today is the day I dropped my car off and my service advisor says there's another page to this TSB that includes the rotors be changed as well!!!??? I didnt even bother to second guess--so they're replacing my pads and rotors
Old 05-08-07, 07:20 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Got mine swapped on Friday. Just washed and buffed my aftermarket rims over the weekend. I even cleaned inside the hub. After 70 miles of driving, I would've had a layer of black brake dust by now. I ran my finger on the lip...no black dust!
Now let's see how long before it is noticeable.
Old 05-08-07, 08:31 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

For those that are claiming a noticeable difference in braking performance, I assume that you actually measured stopping distances using full braking force from a set speed BEFORE and AFTER The brakes were changed. This is the ONLY way you can test actual braking performance. The brakes may feel different (less grabby) but that does not mean that the braking performance of the vehicle has decreased.
Old 05-08-07, 10:32 AM
rroy
Pole Position

Just got my car back and am very happy with the change. New brakes still do the job well; and everything i didnt care for with the old brakes (too-grabby in slow traffic, high-pitch squeal, and brake dust) has gone away--hopefully for good.
Old 05-08-07, 10:34 AM
acbrisker
Driver

I've only got 400 miles on my car ... will likely get the brakes replaced at my 5K service ... I have a 'beater' car that I drive to work (through the streets of Washington, DC) ... this will give me an opportunity to see how you all like your new brakes! From what I can tell (going back a few pages) ... there is a definite improvement in the brake dust issue ...
Old 05-08-07, 01:24 PM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

I've heard that low dust pads come at the expense of more wear and tear on your rotors. Any truth to this? I hate the dust, but would rather have that than pay to resurface my rotors 20K-30K early.

Quick Reply: Brake dust TSB for is250 owners (TSB now released, attached) merged threads