Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake dust TSB for is250 owners (TSB now released, attached) merged threads

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-07, 02:23 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

You're correct Darren - the part # for the GS350, GS430, GS450h, and IS350 rotor is 43512-22260, and the IS250 rotors are part #43512-30310.

Javier
Old 05-12-07, 03:13 PM
sdpq
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the "first in-service date" refer to?

also, how can a dealership say no as others are saying to doing this becuase of wear when it clearly states 48 months or 50,000 miles. It shouldn't matter how much wear there is right???
Old 05-13-07, 10:21 PM
flyfl1pguy

CAme back from the dealer and they only changed my pads. No resurface or no new rotors. . Very bad TUSTIN LEXUS!
Old 05-14-07, 11:04 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flyfl1pguy
CAme back from the dealer and they only changed my pads. No resurface or no new rotors. . Very bad TUSTIN LEXUS!
did you show them the tsib print out? and the part numbers on the tsib?
Old 05-15-07, 01:25 PM
i2IS
Pole Position

OK, i just came back from local lexus dealer, the service told me that they are only going to replace brake pads because that is the only thing on the TSIB.
so im confused, i brought the printed TSIB there but still...

Last edited by i2IS; 05-15-07 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-15-07, 03:02 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update: New pads for 250

I like the new pads better. Not grabby at all and brakes well IMO. B4, I see film of black dust after a day commute (30mi R/T). Been driving my car with new pads for more than a week (approx 300 mi) and my wheels are still clean (same as the rear). I wouldn't have never known about the dust if I didn't finger sweep the rims. Sure the dust will accumulate over time but at least it will take some time b4 it gets noticeable. Looks so clean and lovin' it.
Old 05-15-07, 03:19 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Okay so Im getting mine done on saturday. When I spoke to the shop forman, he said that he did it on his IS, and has done it on several ISs and only one person said they didnt like the reducion of power but all loved the less brake dust. I also asked him about the refinishing or replacment of rotors and his answer was: "Yea the rotors should be turned, but you can really only do that once and you only have 1600 miles on your car. So come 25k 30k miles you wont be able to do it then and will have to have them replaced." Not sure what all that meant, but what I gathered was that I should not have them do anything to the rotors at this time.
Old 05-15-07, 03:29 PM
i2IS
Pole Position

I just called customer service and the representative told me that this TSIB is only for brake pads, but javyLSU said that the OFP 43512-30310 is the number for rotor. So im totally confused
Old 05-15-07, 03:38 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

The dealerships can deny this all they want - the proof is in the pudding. If I were getting this TSIB done, which I'm not, I would certainly ask them to explain to me why the TSIB specifically lists the rotors (by part number) as pieces to be replaced. Be nice, but be firm to get what you want.

Javier
Old 05-15-07, 04:13 PM
acl15
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by javyLSU
The dealerships can deny this all they want - the proof is in the pudding. If I were getting this TSIB done, which I'm not, I would certainly ask them to explain to me why the TSIB specifically lists the rotors (by part number) as pieces to be replaced. Be nice, but be firm to get what you want.

Javier
I'm going in on Thursday to get it done finally but what do you recommend saying about the rotors? I don't get the TSIB because if the rotors are to be replaced like the brakes are, then why didn't they put it in a table similar to the second table where it delineates between the previous part and the current/new part? What does the OFP column stand for also?

Thanks for the help in advance, I really don't want to get owned by the service adviser and look like an idiot.

Last edited by acl15; 05-15-07 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-15-07, 04:18 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Okay so Im getting mine done on saturday. When I spoke to the shop forman, he said that he did it on his IS, and has done it on several ISs and only one person said they didnt like the reducion of power but all loved the less brake dust. I also asked him about the refinishing or replacment of rotors and his answer was: "Yea the rotors should be turned, but you can really only do that once and you only have 1600 miles on your car. So come 25k 30k miles you wont be able to do it then and will have to have them replaced." Not sure what all that meant, but what I gathered was that I should not have them do anything to the rotors at this time.
I think what he's saying is you can only turn them once. So wait till it's rough (around 25-30K - as he's saying) and have your rotors resurface then.
Old 05-15-07, 07:22 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Originally Posted by acl15
I'm going in on Thursday to get it done finally but what do you recommend saying about the rotors? I don't get the TSIB because if the rotors are to be replaced like the brakes are, then why didn't they put it in a table similar to the second table where it delineates between the previous part and the current/new part? What does the OFP column stand for also?

Thanks for the help in advance, I really don't want to get owned by the service adviser and look like an idiot.
First of all, the service advisor is your friend - be nice to him/her. You're much more likely to get what you want if you have a friendly, calm, and intelligent conversation instead of walking in the door with guns blazing...

The reason that there's no "new" part number for the rotors is because there is no "new" rotor - the replacement is the exact same one that comes with the car. Also, the rotor replacement is covered by the warranty repair portion of the TSIB, so technically you have to complain about premature wear on your rotors to get the new ones (unless your dealer, really, really nice). Remember, this is not a recall - it's a TSIB, which offers a solution to a specific customer complaint.

Javier
Old 05-16-07, 12:03 AM
acl15
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by javyLSU
First of all, the service advisor is your friend - be nice to him/her. You're much more likely to get what you want if you have a friendly, calm, and intelligent conversation instead of walking in the door with guns blazing...

The reason that there's no "new" part number for the rotors is because there is no "new" rotor - the replacement is the exact same one that comes with the car. Also, the rotor replacement is covered by the warranty repair portion of the TSIB, so technically you have to complain about premature wear on your rotors to get the new ones (unless your dealer, really, really nice). Remember, this is not a recall - it's a TSIB, which offers a solution to a specific customer complaint.

Javier
Great, I'll keep all that in mind when I go in. Thanks.
Old 05-16-07, 08:05 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

My pads were swapped 2 weeks ago, but not the rotors. Lexus of Pleasanton (CA) spoke with their warranty administrator and told me this: The TSIB is only for replacing the front brake pads. It does not include rotors. In the Warranty Information section, OP Code 473301 is for removing and replacing front disc brake pads and/or shims (only). The parts #s (rotors) in the OFP column are for the purpose of outlining related part #s of the brake system for filing reimbursement for the job performed by the dealership. I guess Lexus will reimburse them for the service performed. He said there would be another OP Code for the rotors if they were to be replaced as well. Some dealership will replace the rotors for free at their own discretion. I hope this explains it all.
Old 05-16-07, 08:34 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Lexus does reimburse the dealership for any warranty work done, but why would they get reimbursed for a part that wasn't replaced? That doesn't make any sense at all to me, and sounds like a story they're using just to make people go away.

Javier

Quick Reply: Brake dust TSB for is250 owners (TSB now released, attached) merged threads