Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake dust TSB for is250 owners (TSB now released, attached) merged threads

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-07, 07:53 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to a different dealer. I bought my car in Cerritos and go to Riverside for service. Dealers gets reimburse for recalls and TSIB. So it doesn't matter where you get it done. Does not matter how may miles you have as long as your pads are not worn out.If they are all worn out then they might give you a hard time. Good luck anyways.

Originally Posted by syn1313
went to my dealer with TSB in hand, cool attitude and asked , "can you change my brake pads for the less dusty ones" (trying to be nice here).. first came the "did you know you lose 3 feet of stopping with these pads?" , uhm yeah (still playing stupid) "thats fine, but the brake dust. Sat me down and then looked in my records, "You came here about 3 months ago for brake noise" Yeap.. that's me,, i told you something was wrong but you did not help me the first time. (starting to get upset) "well we can order you the brake pads, ohh i see you need rotors too" " these brake pads cost about $75 each and the rotors are" Wait a F^%$ second .. i have a TSB in hand.. "Yeah but you came here before with a brake probelm and we told you you need brakes, you have to buy these pads, you have to many miles on your car." ahhhhhhhhhh "what ever" kiss my >>>>>>>> (all in my head) o.k sir, can you order me the pads and call me when they come in.
Old 05-22-07, 08:27 PM
ano0oj
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thursday 11 A.M....NEW PADS!!!
Old 05-23-07, 12:34 AM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if the new pads really take 3 feet longer to stop vs the old ones that might not seem like a lot but boy I had to brake pretty damn hard in traffic the other day and I dont think I had more than a foot of clearance from his rear bumper to my front. My brakes squeak a lot though and family members complain about the excessive dust but 3 feet is 3 feet.
Old 05-23-07, 04:31 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rroy
What was your original brake problem? When I brought mine in, I had a history of complaints regarding the squeaking; but I had never mentioned anything about the dust until the day i brought in the tsb. I guess i just dont understand why so many dealers are raising the red flag with ths issue. If you are unhappy with the brake dust, then they should have to change the rotors and pads. Done deal right?? (apparently not). The only exception I can see is if your pads are completely worn out and you had never complained about the dust in the past. Then I can imagine the dealer thinking you're trying to pull a fast one and attempting to get a free brake change.

It shouldnt be an "if your dealer likes you, you'll get new rotors too" type of issue...Have any of you with difficulties getting this done asked your dealer to look up the part numbers listed on the tsb to prove to them that it's a pad/rotor combination part number? (I think this is how it is listed--correct me if im wrong)
Dealers are giving people a hard time about replacing rotors because the rotors simply are NOT covered by the TSB. The TSB deals with dusty brake pads, that's it, period. The reason the rotors are not covered is simple, THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THEM! However, every dealer is different and may or may not replace the rotors upon request. Payment from the manufacturer to the dealer for rotor replacement would be done under the original factory warranty, NOT through the brake pad TSB.
In post 254 of this thread, Flipsonic has an excelent breakdown of how to read the TSB. You should read it.

Last edited by IS350jet; 05-23-07 at 04:41 AM.
Old 05-23-07, 05:20 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i went in for my 5k service yesterday in orlando and asked my advisor about the the tsib. he knew about it and said they can do it wheneebr i am ready. he also suggested i should hold out until i get more wear out of my current brakes and then get the new ones for free. see they know the deal, although he did worn me about the difference in stopping power. i told him i drive the 250 not the 350 which i would be more worried about.
Old 05-23-07, 06:32 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by is250gurl
i went in for my 5k service yesterday in orlando and asked my advisor about the the tsib. he knew about it and said they can do it wheneebr i am ready. he also suggested i should hold out until i get more wear out of my current brakes and then get the new ones for free. see they know the deal, although he did worn me about the difference in stopping power. i told him i drive the 250 not the 350 which i would be more worried about.
I'm not sure you would wanna wait because a lot of people said they waited for the pad to wear out also but they couldn't replace it because it was too worn.
Old 05-23-07, 06:35 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i am going to get it done on my 10k when i go in for an oil change. i know they will still have plenty of pad left then.
Old 05-24-07, 11:51 AM
teadog
Driver School Candidate

Default how long?

anyone know how long the order of the pads should take? It's been 3 weeks and the dealer said they are still waiting on them. Thanks.
Old 05-24-07, 12:00 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

It took my dealer one day to get them. Maybe because everyone is asking for theirs to get swapped, there is now a shortage.
Old 05-24-07, 05:39 PM
acsan
Driver

Just got mine done today...didn't really feel any noticeable difference with the brake performance in average daily driving conditions. As far as the dust is concerned, I guess I'll just have to wait a few days to really tell the difference. One thing I did notice and I'm sure others have is the smoother feel of the brakes when applied and also the elimination of that jerk that was pretty evident before right when your car comes to a complete stop. Now there's hardly any noise and the jerkiness has pretty much been eliminated.
Old 05-25-07, 06:32 PM
1022it
Pole Position

i got mine done last week. the brakes still stop fine. they are much less sensitive though. before if it so much as rested the weight of my size 12 on the brake pedal i was making people in the car get whiplash.

I am certain that my stopping performance has decreased greatly.

now i actually have to depress the brake a bit before it really starts slowing hte car to a stop. (good)

and READ THIS!

NO SQUEAKING!
Old 05-26-07, 11:41 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Been a week for me now, and there is next to NO dust!!! Its awesome! I dont think the stopping power is any less. I like the feel of these brakes better and the lack of dust and squeeking!
Old 05-26-07, 02:50 PM
acl15
Lead Lap

I got my TSIB done last Thursday. They replaced the front pads and resurfaced the rotors for free. Although the noise and the dust are gone, so is considerable bite in the brakes. The car feels a lot less responsive now and takes some time getting used to.
Old 05-26-07, 03:27 PM
SParker1tx
Pole Position

Owww I want my high-performance brakes w/o embarrassing squeakiness, I dont care about the dust I only care about the AWFUL hideous squeak Its so ridiculous to drive a 35K Car with squeaky brakes >.<
Old 05-30-07, 07:47 PM
Jay1977
Pole Position

Just got mine done today. Yea, like everyone mentioned, I can tell
that the performance is gone... but, I don't care! The good thing is that
the embarrassing squeak noise is definately gone!!!

Also, I just read my service sheet and states that they replaced :

1) PAD KIT, DISC BRAKE : P/N 04465-53030
2) DISK BRAKE CALIPER G : P/N 08887-80609

What the heck is #2? is this good? anyone get #2?

Quick Reply: Brake dust TSB for is250 owners (TSB now released, attached) merged threads