Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Hate my sport suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-07, 01:57 AM
NoSexNdaLX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hate my sport suspension

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and have already tried the search function with little luck. I've had the 2IS for a year now and hate the sport suspension. My 2IS is a daily driver and i can appreciate a softer suspension.

I'm wondering if both the shocks and springs are different from standard models or is it just the shocks or just the springs. Can someone shed some light on this?

I've also purchased Tein Comfort Sport but i hesitate on installing it because i don't know if it's going to yield the ride qualify i'm looking for - something close to stock standard suspension.

If there's a member who went from sport suspension to Tein CS - how did it feel? did you get what you were looking for?

Thanks you guys.
Old 04-22-07, 02:04 AM
joonsta
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With coil-overs, you can adjust the stiffness of your ride, so I'm sure you'll easily be able to match the "stock" ride quality.

Many people(with money) said that they didn't notice a difference between the Tein CS and the "stock" suspension.
Old 04-22-07, 02:18 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NoSexNdaLX
I'm wondering if both the shocks and springs are different from standard models or is it just the shocks or just the springs. Can someone shed some light on this?...
The only difference between the regular and sport suspensions are the front shocks and springs. The sport suspension has shorter springs with matching shocks that yield a 10mm drop and a slightly stiffer ride. The rear shocks and springs are identical between the standard and sport models.

Javier
Old 04-22-07, 09:35 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The Teins do not have adjustable spring perches so a lot of the stiffness is going to depend on how much you lower the car. (The lower, the more the springs are going to be compressed, which translates into a stiffer ride.) If you don't go crazy and slam it, you should be able to get decent ride quality.
Old 04-22-07, 09:52 AM
nabisco
Lead Lap

The teins ride very simular to the sport suspension. I would recomend trying to trade with somebody that has the LUX package and wants the sport.

I love my Tein CS. Lower ride with very simular feel as the Sport suspension.
Old 04-22-07, 10:30 PM
NoSexNdaLX
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys,

after some research i'm going to trade my front sport susp. for standard susp.

Thanks again

Tri
Old 04-23-07, 10:27 AM
NoSexNdaLX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nabisco
The teins ride very simular to the sport suspension. I would recomend trying to trade with somebody that has the LUX package and wants the sport.

I love my Tein CS. Lower ride with very simular feel as the Sport suspension.
Nabisco,

How much did you lower your ride by and what setting was the shocks which yielded the ride quality similar to sport suspension?

The reason i'm asking is i'm thinking about just lowering it about 15mm front and 10mm rear with the softest setting on the shocks. Do you think i can accomplish a softer ride than the sport suspension?
Old 04-25-07, 03:02 PM
andoy
Driver

Originally Posted by javyLSU
The only difference between the regular and sport suspensions are the front shocks and springs. The sport suspension has shorter springs with matching shocks that yield a 10mm drop and a slightly stiffer ride. The rear shocks and springs are identical between the standard and sport models.

Javier
If im not mistaken, the rear sport suspension also has shorter springs than stock. I compared my ride height (sport suspension) w/ a stock 2IS and my rear sits way lower...
Old 04-26-07, 01:57 PM
trio
Driver

Exclamation

Originally Posted by andoy
If im not mistaken, the rear sport suspension also has shorter springs than stock. I compared my ride height (sport suspension) w/ a stock 2IS and my rear sits way lower...
If you compared it to an AWD 2IS, that could explain what you saw. AWD versions look really jacked.
Old 04-26-07, 08:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,060 Likes on 2,457 Posts

The service manual shows the exact same ride height spec for the rear on the standard and the sport suspensions. Front is 10mm lower. That is the only ride height difference.

Of course, if you have bodies in the trunk, this will also affect ride height...
Old 04-26-07, 09:04 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

With all due respect, you are mistaken. I'm not guessing here - I've cross-checked this with the factory service manual as well as the parts replacement manual.

Javier
Old 04-27-07, 08:33 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
The Teins do not have adjustable spring perches so a lot of the stiffness is going to depend on how much you lower the car. (The lower, the more the springs are going to be compressed, which translates into a stiffer ride.) If you don't go crazy and slam it, you should be able to get decent ride quality.
I've never seen a coilover that didn't have adjustable spring perches. Most of the coilovers I've seen ONLY had adjustable spring perches, which caused the issues you mention.
Old 04-29-07, 07:04 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NoSexNdaLX
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and have already tried the search function with little luck. I've had the 2IS for a year now and hate the sport suspension. My 2IS is a daily driver and i can appreciate a softer suspension.

I'm wondering if both the shocks and springs are different from standard models or is it just the shocks or just the springs. Can someone shed some light on this?

I've also purchased Tein Comfort Sport but i hesitate on installing it because i don't know if it's going to yield the ride qualify i'm looking for - something close to stock standard suspension.

If there's a member who went from sport suspension to Tein CS - how did it feel? did you get what you were looking for?

Thanks you guys.
Sorry to hear that. You didn't test drive the car with the sports pkg before you bought it? You could've saved a whole lot of $$$ if you'd gotten either the base IS or the Lux pkg. Maybe I'm used to my previous car that was lowered on Tein SS-P coilovers or something but I think my IS now with sport suspension rides like a dream. I've test driven a non-sport IS and it's too soft for me.
Old 05-01-07, 03:12 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by javyLSU
With all due respect, you are mistaken. I'm not guessing here - I've cross-checked this with the factory service manual as well as the parts replacement manual.

Javier
With all due respect, I don't want to sound argumentitive but it is you that is mistaken. The rear springs and shocks on all IS X Package AND Sport equipped cars are different from the standard suspension.

Rear spring X Package/Sport 48231-53150
Rear spring Std. suspension 48231-53180

Rear shock X Package/Sport 48530-80289
Rear shock Std. suspension 48530-80288

This is right out of the most recent Lexus factory parts book.
The ride height in the rear does not change, however.
Old 05-01-07, 04:30 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

IS X-Package $1,455 [3]

-Sport-tuned suspension

-Bla, bla, bla...

Sport Package $3,695 [3]

-Sport-tuned suspension

-Ya-di-ya-di-ya...

Copied from Lexus website.

Seems like they both the X and sports package use different springs from the other packages .

Quick Reply: Hate my sport suspension