Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Replaced the rear brakes and....

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-07 | 11:21 PM
Luin
Pole Position

Default Replaced the rear brakes and....

I replaced the rotors and pads front and rear with OEM equivelent two days ago.

Well right after I finished the installation I drove it to see the difference. I have heard the brakes need a "brake in period" so I broke way early for like 10-15 stops and then drove home and took off again and actually "stood on them". After I did that everytime I apply the brakes my rear brakes "squeel". Sometimes its the left one, sometimes the right one, sometimes both at the same time.

The "squeel" starts when the pedal is pressed and when I press down farther like to come to a complete stop it goes away.

So, do I have faulty pads, or is there something I can do to fix this problem?

Did I not break them in correctly?
Old 04-23-07 | 11:28 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Did you put anti-squel on the brake pads? Not on the part of the pad that touches the rotor, but behind it where it touches the caliper.
Old 04-23-07 | 11:48 PM
Luin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sc300max
Did you put anti-squel on the brake pads? Not on the part of the pad that touches the rotor, but behind it where it touches the caliper.
No I didn't. I am not that mechanicly inclined. lol

So its not the actual pad making the noise, its the part that touches the caliper?

I will pick up some anti-squel for the brakes and get them on soon. I may not be able to do it for a few days, is that ok for the brakes/calipers?

Also, I put the thin pieces of steel that was on the old pads on the new pads... is that necessary? I had a heck of a time keeping them on the pads when I slipped them into the caliper.
Old 04-24-07 | 12:36 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

It should be fine w/o anti-squeal, but more annoying than anything. You can probably pick some up at your local auto store for $1 a pack. The thin piece of steel that goes on the pads are shims. If your new pads did not come with them then yes you should use your old ones. It your new pads did come with them then it is not necessary. The anti squel goes between the pad and the shims (thin steel piece). The shims should be touching the caliper and not the rotor...just in case.
Old 04-24-07 | 12:45 AM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

most new brake pad compounds squeak no matter how long you break them in for. it's just the material and even putting the anti-squeak on it wont always fix the noise. but no, the noise is not bad; just means the brakes are working.