Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Best Aftermarket Brake Pad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-07, 10:02 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slickgt1
A fellow CLer drove my car yesterday. I have Axis ULT with Brembo Blanks. He has Akibono on stock rotors. He is going to switch to my setup, and that was after 3 minutes of driving. Everyone else who drives my car, is also always impressed. All other braking components are stock.

Slickgt1,

With the Axis Ultimates do you get any noises or are they nice and quiet? I've got the Akibono's and would like a little more stopping power. However, the Akibonos are very quiet and stock like.

Also, do you get alot of brake dust with the Ultimates?

One more thing -- if I wanted to replace the pads do I need to do anything to the rotors too? Or can you just replace the pads and you are good to go?

thanks,

Scott

Last edited by Scott1258; 05-03-07 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-03-07, 10:22 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The Axis and Akebono are OK pads, but do not compare to the Hawks HPS pads.Granted the HPS are more expensive but the few extra dollars are worth the safety margin. I ran them all.
Old 05-03-07, 12:43 PM
narfy
Lead Lap

strange... i've run hawk HPS and PBR/axxis ultimates and i definately find the ultimates MUCH MUCH MUCH better... the HPS' faded quite easily on my old car... whereas the axxis ultimates did not...

tha axxis ultimates will eat ur rotor and dust up a fair bit... but i'd rather wash my wheels and stop than fade away with HPS...

imo... hawk HPS = junk
hawk HP+ = noisy, but stop real nice
axxis ultimates = great great stopping power, dusty, but worth it.
Old 05-03-07, 01:41 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree. Ultimates beat the crap out of HP pads. I've had both, and HP do not hold a chance. The HP did tear up my rotors hard. By the time the shop finished turning my rotors, there was almost nothing left. And they didn't impress me. Portafeilds (sp) did a much better job in my opinion. I am not sure if they make them for our cars or not though.

Ultimates will dust. And they will squeal for a couple of blocks until they warm up. On super freezing days, I was actually worried; I had to apply more pressure to stop. But once warmed up (2 blocks), holy crap do they stop.

When swapping pads, you should always get your rotors turned. If you don't get them turned, your pads will not bed-in properly and you will have poor performance for a really long time. Also, turning your rotors, straightens them out, and shaves off excess grooves, which can cause brake vibration. This ensures that your new pads, will have a fresh, clean area. So always get your rotors turned when swapping pads. Some people will tell you that you don't have to do that, but if you want it done right, turn them.

Pad/Rotor break in is important as well. Most people neglect this step. I was taught this a long time ago by a Porsche enthusiast. Basically, you first use brake cleaner to clean your rotors/pads after the install. You don't want grease or any other particles on them. Take the car our and drive gently to an area where you can break the speed limit safely. Take the car up to 70mph, slam on the brakes, make sure that you do not turn on your ABS, continue slowing down to 5-10 mph. If you come to a stop sign or a traffic light, make sure that you are in neutral and don't hold the brakes (not to create hot spots). Repeat the process two more times. Go home park your car, 2 hours should cool them enough. For the next 100 miles, take it easy, try not to hit ABS. That’s it, enjoy your newfound braking performance.
Old 05-05-07, 03:51 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

What do you guys think of the EBC Red? I've heard really good things about them. A couple guys on here swear by them.

Here are the features. They even have a bed-in coated surface. Pretty cool....

"Features:
Bring your muscle car, sports car, or performance European auto to a commanding halt with EBC Red Stuff Brake Pads
EBC custom makes your Red Stuff Brake Pads to directly replace your stock pads
These ceramic pads are specifically formulated for serious street driving
Tests have shown that your EBC Red Stuff Brake Pads can cut stopping distances by 42 feet over stock parts
Minimal dust leaves your wheels sparkling clean instead of grungy—makes 50% less dust than most stock pads
Ultra-quiet braking—the beveled edges, center-line slot, and ceramic blend of your EBC Red Stuff Brake Pads fights off squeal
EBC’s unique Break-In surface coating delivers rapid bedding for strong braking power right out of the box
All EBC Red Stuff Brake Pads feature a center-line slot that vents heat and gas to prevent thermal cracks and fade
The pads and the pad plates are powder coated for a lifetime of rust-free service
EBC backs your Red Stuff Brake Pads with a 6-month/5,000 mile warranty
Description:
The streets are made for more than just commuting. All that pavement laid out in front of your hood is an open invitation to red-line your speedy auto. Staying in complete control of your high-octane ride is essential in this environment, and that’s why you need EBC’s Red Stuff Brake Pads. The ceramic blend in these performance pads is made special for muscle cars, swift European autos, and other mean street machines. In fact, they’ve been shown to stop sports cars 42 feet ahead of OEM pads!

Your EBC Red Stuff Brake Pads bite hard, but they don’t leave behind nasty dust residue like stock parts—50% less dust, in fact. And, you won’t hear them screaming bloody murder when you hit the brakes. Their beveled edges, center-line slot, and ceramic mixture silence squeals.

There’s nothing tricky about installing your EBC Red Stuff Brake Pads. They’re custom made for a direct replacement of your factory pads. They even come with a 6-month/5,000 mile warranty."

Old 05-13-07, 10:03 PM
movinquick
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

the axxis ultimates stopped waayyy better than the abekenos
Old 05-14-07, 06:43 AM
GSing430
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

i believe there's two different version of akebono. i have yet to try the ultimates. but base on what i have compare to the stock and other pads i've seen on other cars, they stop great and i get almost zero dust brakes on my wheels. i can't stand the dust brakes especially when they are bad as some of the BMW. After washing the wheels on the X5, it take 1-2 days and the wheels are cover in dust!
Old 05-14-07, 07:03 AM
TonY_G
Driver

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
May want to conduct a search which will reveal the answers to your question which has been asked a great many times already.
Almost all will recommend Brembo rotors.
For pads I only run HPS Hawks after running the Green Stuff, and a variety of ceramic pads from Axis, etc.... The HPS are the only pads I have purchased over again and are now on the GX and Tundra.

I have Hawk on my SUPRA TT BBK and i love them, also try Porterfields, they are also Used on tons of STi's etc...

I can't decide which one i love more, currently i am running the hawks, so i im biased, lol
Old 05-14-07, 07:58 AM
movinquick
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSing430
i believe there's two different version of akebono. i have yet to try the ultimates. but base on what i have compare to the stock and other pads i've seen on other cars, they stop great and i get almost zero dust brakes on my wheels. i can't stand the dust brakes especially when they are bad as some of the BMW. After washing the wheels on the X5, it take 1-2 days and the wheels are cover in dust!
i bought the akebonos that tirerack.com sells. they don't compare to slickgt1's axxis ultimates. i have the akebonos on slotted rotors (the ones with the lines), he has the ultimates on stock rotors and his car stops very noticeably better than mine.
Old 05-14-07, 04:26 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GSing430
I heard that the Akebono ceramic work well and has very little brake dust. I know exactly what you mean, my wife's 330 has unbelievable brake dust after the first day after cleaning them. I was thinking of changing her pads it's so bad...she's complaining.