Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Dust TSB problems (Dealer won't replace)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-07, 12:35 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

One more update for you guys. They not only replaced the front brake pads, but I also got new rotors! I'm going to write a letter to the service dept and thank them all. A+
Old 04-29-07, 04:54 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marwar80
By any chance, could someone tell me where to find the TSB for the new brake pads. I also took my car in for excessive brake dust and they said that they have never heard of that TSB. Thanks in advance!!
A good/informed dealer should be up to date on the TSIB's. You shouldn't need to show any proof. If the one you went to is clueless, call around and find another dealer that knows what they're doing. The dealer that I went to knew immediately what I was talking about and I didn't need to show any proof.
Old 05-17-07, 10:04 AM
Marwar80
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks to all of you! I got my dealership to swap my pads. These new ones are great. No more dust! =)
Old 05-17-07, 10:25 AM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Marwar80
Many thanks to all of you! I got my dealership to swap my pads. These new ones are great. No more dust! =)
Congrats! The new pads are awesome! Haven't washed my car for a month (yes! I'm lazy! ) and the front rims still look silver instead of black. LOL
Old 05-18-07, 10:56 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, so I just called the dealership to schedule an appt. for the TSB and told them about the front brakes for IS250. They said, "Just cuz theres a TSB out doesn't mean that it's for your car necessarily, it's only for some cars." WTF? Is this true is he jus bull$h*tin?? I personally thought that it's for ALL IS250.
Old 05-18-07, 11:11 AM
MattyL147
Driver

they're idiots...
Old 05-18-07, 12:08 PM
NikoAWD
Driver School Candidate

yes, got my pads replaced too, and I had 23k miles on them already. they also note that they cut my rotors. The new ones are great. I have not noticed any loss of braking.
Old 05-18-07, 10:33 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AzNLeX250
Ok, so I just called the dealership to schedule an appt. for the TSB and told them about the front brakes for IS250. They said, "Just cuz theres a TSB out doesn't mean that it's for your car necessarily, it's only for some cars." WTF? Is this true is he jus bull$h*tin?? I personally thought that it's for ALL IS250.
It's for all ISx50 with brake problems (dust and noise). So long as you have a "complaint" with your brakes, the delear will honor the TSIB. Also, do it right away because the delear might not honor the TSIB if your pads are totally worn out. No offense but some IS owners want to wait til their pads are worn out to get new pads for free. The TSIB is not a freebie but a solution to our brake problems. We have issues with brakes and they offered a solution.
Old 05-19-07, 06:50 AM
Kipperm13
Driver

Originally Posted by is4fsr
It's for all ISx50 with brake problems (dust and noise). So long as you have a "complaint" with your brakes, the delear will honor the TSIB. Also, do it right away because the delear might not honor the TSIB if your pads are totally worn out. No offense but some IS owners want to wait til their pads are worn out to get new pads for free. The TSIB is not a freebie but a solution to our brake problems. We have issues with brakes and they offered a solution.
This is true, I would say get the change no later then 15K. I just had mine in for 20K service and they said they couldn't do it becasue the wear on the pads and wanted $360 for the new ones. I called Corporate about this becasue on the TSIB it doesn't say anything about wear on the pads only 48 months or 50,000 miles. After a week they got back to me yesterday and said for "customer staifaction" we are willing to change the pads for you at no cost. Thank you Lexus. Thats why i didn't buy any other car
Old 05-19-07, 11:55 AM
pylee257
Lead Lap

they did the same for me.
Old 05-19-07, 01:55 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kipperm13
This is true, I would say get the change no later then 15K. I just had mine in for 20K service and they said they couldn't do it becasue the wear on the pads and wanted $360 for the new ones. I called Corporate about this becasue on the TSIB it doesn't say anything about wear on the pads only 48 months or 50,000 miles. After a week they got back to me yesterday and said for "customer staifaction" we are willing to change the pads for you at no cost. Thank you Lexus. Thats why i didn't buy any other car
I'd say that it depends on the dealer because I got mine done at 25k miles and they didn't say a single word about the worn pads. I normally don't take my car in for service to just any dealer. I only go to the ones where I've gotten good recommendations with a particular service advisor. I find that in these cases, they're always willing to oblige to my request (within reasonable limits of course) without any complaints.
Old 05-28-07, 11:32 AM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

Heres my dealer's response when i ask for TSIB to done on my car:

Hello David,

I checked with parts, and unfortunately, we do not provide alternate brake pads. Your other option is to purchase them after- market, and we would be happy to install that for you. Also, if you would like, you can speak to a service advisor about your problem.

Regards,

Vanessa Rogers

Service Administrator
Magnussen's Lexus of Fremont
5600 Cushing Parkway
Fremont, CA 94538
Ofc: (510) 657-6600
Old 05-28-07, 01:38 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

when i went to get my pads replaced with the lower dust pads, the SA told me that he'd have to look at em to see if they qualify... whatever that meant. so i just said ok whatever... do what you gotta do. 30 mins later he comes in and tells me that they do not qualify and im like why not? he said oh you have high-performance pads thats why they're so dusty. i'm like uhhhh i know that... that's why i'm bringing them in to swap em out with the alternative pads. by this point i literally have the o_O look on my face hahah. luckily i had a print out of the tsb and i told him.. ok look read this and tell me what it says. after 3 minutes of reading he says oh.. u want the other pads? i'm thinking omg have i been speaking a different language this whole time? he proceeds to tell me that they won't be as high-performance as what i have right now. i tell him that i'm aware of it and am willing to take that sacrifice. he said ok i'll go tell my tech.

after the work is done i ask the cashier to look at the paperwork and to see if there are part numbers on there. i see the part number for the old pad but don't see anywhere on the paper for the new pads. she calls in the SA and i ask him what part number did they replace it with. he reads out the part number for the old pads. i ask him ARE YOU SURE those are the ones on the car right now? he says yes. i say ok look at the tsb again. this is the new part number that you're suppose to replace it with. he proceeds to look at the paperwork again and says oh... this is the old part number that they took off. and i ask him ok shouldn't it say the new part number on the paperwork? he said it should but i guess the tech forgot to write it in. i give him that o_O look again. but he tells me the techs work off of what the tsb says so i said ok that's fine. but if i find too much dust on there then ima come back and talk to you. he said ok. this was at glendale also... i think it was just the uninformed SA that i got.
Old 05-29-07, 08:49 PM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Where's the TSB for the IS 250? I need to print one out and take it to Lexus. I only got 1300 miles on it lol... should I take it in...
Old 05-30-07, 10:48 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by imaputz
Heres my dealer's response when i ask for TSIB to done on my car:

Hello David,

I checked with parts, and unfortunately, we do not provide alternate brake pads. Your other option is to purchase them after- market, and we would be happy to install that for you. Also, if you would like, you can speak to a service advisor about your problem. Goodluck.

Regards,

Vanessa Rogers

Service Administrator
Magnussen's Lexus of Fremont
5600 Cushing Parkway
Fremont, CA 94538
Ofc: (510) 657-6600
David,

Don't take that crap. If Magnussen won't swap your pads, go to Lexus of Pleasanton. They replaced mine no questions asked. They should already be familiar with the TSB since I was the first one who went there for the swap. However, be careful because they scratched one of my rims. Luckily, I was able to find a replacement. The are paying for it.

Ben