Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Small rear anti sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-07, 06:20 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
There are definitely down-sides to large sway bars. They reduce the independence of the suspension, so big sway bars will degrade ride quality and road compliance.

I wouldn't want to replace both sway bars. I would rather decrease the size of the front, or increase the size of the rear. An adjustable bar for either end would be great!
I agree it does degrade ride quality and i'm pretty sure you've changed your sways in the past, but i really haven't noticed that much of a difference in ride quality.. the trade off is very minimal from my experience
Old 05-03-07, 06:24 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

i found this... but i drive on normal road..

Drawbacks
Because an anti-roll bar connects wheels on the opposite sides of the vehicle together, the bar will transmit the force of one-wheel bumps to the opposite wheel. On rough or broken pavement, anti-roll bars can produce jarring, side-to-side body motions (a "waddling" sensation), which increase in severity with the diameter and stiffness of the sway bars. Excessive roll stiffness, typically achieved by configuring an anti-roll bar too aggressively, will cause the inside wheels to lift off the ground during very hard cornering. This, of course, is only possible if the regular spring rate actually allows the outside wheels to handle the much increased load. This can be used to advantage, in fact many front wheel drive production cars will lift a wheel when cornering hard, in order to overload the other wheel on the axle, so providing limit understeer.
from wikipedia... and also

The use of anti-roll bars allows designers to reduce body lean without making the suspension's springs stiffer in the vertical plane, which allows improved body control with less compromise of ride quality.
Old 05-04-07, 01:23 PM
jbyers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Called Jegs to check pricing on the Eibach Sway bars. They in turn called Eibach and the bars are not in production yet. Scheduled to start in June 07. Has anyone else found a set that is available yet?
Old 05-04-07, 02:25 PM
KKelly
Lead Lap

I have to agree with the last few posters: huge difference in ride quality between full stiff on my front bar and full soft (Racing Dynamics 29mmF/19mm R, rear is always full stiff). Tolerable but much different. Sure, it would be nothing on a perfect road but we don't have many of those here.

I set the front on full stiff for the track. While you would think that would induce more understeer, it actually reduces it because the car #1 rotates better and #2 rolls over less on the front tire which gives me a better contact patch. This is with a strut suspension which will lose camber under compression so the effect may not be exactly the same on the IS but you just have to mess around with it to see what it does to your car. I also put my Konis on full stiff. Although only rebound adjustable, I had to get off the freeway last time when I forgot to soften them up. Ouch that was stiff.

Depending on how you drive, retaining some understeer is advisable. On the track, I really don't want a twitchy car in 90mph corners so I will tolerate some understeer in the slower corners. Also, I find you can affect understeer/oversteer just as much by how smooth you are in your steering inputs. If you suddenly turn in, the car will howl in protest whereas if you given a little input and allow the car to set before really turning in it will be much more cooperative.

My advice: first get the right shock and spring set up and then use the bars to fine tune.
Old 05-04-07, 07:09 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow you guys take this stuff seriously I just want them so I can lose some of the body roll
Old 05-06-07, 02:50 PM
doogoshly
Driver School Candidate

you will lose the body roll with a bigger, thicker sway bar. as others have said, it increases the stiffness of the rear suspension, which translates to rougher ride.

right now i'm in the market for an is350 (and apparently there aren't aftermarket rear sways yet), but i installed a itr rear sway bar onto my current integra a while back. i immediately noticed that body roll was eliminated, it was easier to get the rear end to step out, but all at the cost of stiffer rear suspension.

it's all a matter of your comfort level in terms of smooth, compliant ride vs. stiff, sporty ride.
Old 05-06-07, 09:25 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doogoshly
you will lose the body roll with a bigger, thicker sway bar. as others have said, it increases the stiffness of the rear suspension, which translates to rougher ride.

right now i'm in the market for an is350 (and apparently there aren't aftermarket rear sways yet), but i installed a itr rear sway bar onto my current integra a while back. i immediately noticed that body roll was eliminated, it was easier to get the rear end to step out, but all at the cost of stiffer rear suspension.

it's all a matter of your comfort level in terms of smooth, compliant ride vs. stiff, sporty ride.
You will not "lose" or "eliminate" body role with sway bars. You can only reduce it.
Old 05-07-07, 02:36 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

so what produces a harsher ride lowering with springs or sways in the rear?
Old 05-07-07, 07:01 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ba-b4
so what produces a harsher ride lowering with springs or sways in the rear?
Either could be better or worse depending on the spring or bar you are talking about. I imagine the Eibach springs and Eibach bars will not degrade ride quality much at all, but some other design might.
Old 05-12-07, 02:01 PM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

Originally Posted by omgitsroy
not really... unless.. on a turn you apply so much force that the stress concentration brakes the bracket , screw , or any connecting members around it...

in general.. you should be fine... if you're driving that hard hard to wear the connection then you'd probably already know what to upgrade...

also remember... you're stiffening up the car from left to right movement .. not up and down.. therefore on regular driving ... it doesn't affect your spring and shocks... actually it may help since you're reducing body roll... the spring and shocks work less... someone correct me if i'm wrong.. not 100 on this
u can't apply enough force to brake the swaybar bracket or bolts. your tires should give out first before the bracket breaks...... and that is the sport of drifting
Old 05-12-07, 02:10 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sc dRifta
u can't apply enough force to brake the swaybar bracket or bolts. your tires should give out first before the bracket breaks...... and that is the sport of drifting
Not really sure where that line of thought came from, but it is totally possible to make a sway bar so thick that it can over-power the brackets and / or end links. Honda S2000's are pretty notorious for breaking their stock end links when the front sway bar is adequately upgraded.

It isn't because the tires don't give out, rather that the springs aren't doing enough of the work, so there is much more force applied to the brackets and end links by the sway bar.
Old 05-12-07, 07:10 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

sc drifta.. you're probably car specific... trust me... brackets holding the sway bar can break...
Old 05-12-07, 07:16 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Honda's are generally known to have weak endlinks, thats why they have the reinforcement kits they have. To prevent the subframe from tearing apart. I wonder if the IS is the same??
Old 05-12-07, 08:30 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

I broke 3 brackets on the front of my Z-28, all while going thru turns, all gave a rather audible pop. It would break at the right angle on one side of the bracket. Then I guess one of the sets was good because I didn't break another.
Old 05-12-07, 09:26 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

All in all, are we going to have trouble with the endlinks being too weak? Im hoping not or else this is going to be out of the picture.

Quick Reply: Small rear anti sway bar