Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Practicality?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-07 | 05:44 PM
ugester
Driver School Candidate

Default Practicality?

Hi guys, I bought an 99 sc400 about a year ago and I'm looking to upgrade the suspension since its worn out (110k miles). In the beginning, i was thinking about supra tt eibachs and kyb agx, but i read up on how this negatively affects tire wear. Also, with this drop, will I have to worry excessively over speed bumps and potholes? I have to go over the bumps at school at least 12 times a day. Im thinking sc400 eibachs will be more practical but will it still look dropped? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks!
Old 05-03-07 | 06:49 PM
CyberSC4
Lexus Test Driver

On a stock body, SC Eibachs don't look much lower than stock. The car is really high in the first place. SC Eibachs make it look more normal. If you just want it to look noticeably lowered, go with Supra suspension. Scrapes and bumps come with the territory. Otherwise just get air suspension and be done with it.
Old 05-03-07 | 08:18 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Our cars are like 4x4's stock... they need all the help they can get... here's tein s-tech springs on supra shocks (and it never ever bottoms out unless I go over a speed bump at just the right speed - any faster or slower and it's fine):

Old 05-03-07 | 08:44 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

beautiful picture...no such land like that here in Indiana.

I went with Swift Springs for a practical drop (1.2F/0.8R on a MKIV = ~1.8/1.4 on an SC). There is a millimeter or two of wheel gap when looking from the side at street level, which looks normal for a sleek coupe. The car is in no way wanting to bottom out, nor is the drop out of taste. I get compliments from my 70 year old neighbors as often as I do from my 16 year old students. Plus, the car wants to hug the road more to (perhaps that is only perception).

The SC Eibach kit will modestly lower the car. You will probably have a small wheel gap that will look more normal than anything.

Regarding tire wear, get the car aligned. One degree of negative camber (wheels looking like this from behind: /______\) will not wear the tires significantly different from riding at stock ride height with no camber. TOE will kill your tires significantly faster, and toe is very correctible by getting the car aligned once you adjust the ride height. The people who roast their tires after a drop likely did not get their car aligned.
Old 05-03-07 | 08:48 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Blizzy
beautiful picture...no such land like that here in Indiana.

Regarding tire wear, get the car aligned. One degree of negative camber (wheels looking like this from behind: /______\) will not wear the tires significantly different from riding at stock ride height with no camber. TOE will kill your tires significantly faster, and toe is very correctible by getting the car aligned once you adjust the ride height. The people who roast their tires after a drop likely did not get their car aligned.
very true... I run -2.0 front, -2.6 rear and have no tire wear issues... the car has been that way for a while,and prior to that, it was -1.50/-1.75, since the tires were installed, which was almost 20k ago...
Old 05-03-07 | 09:20 PM
ugester
Driver School Candidate

Wow mitsu that looks sweet. I was just afraid of tire wear and bottoming out. I guess i can safely go with the supra tt eibachs and shocks. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-03-07 | 09:20 PM
ugester
Driver School Candidate

Oh btw exactly which supra shocks do you have. Stock?
Old 05-03-07 | 09:34 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by ugester
Oh btw exactly which supra shocks do you have. Stock?
yup... just the stockones... they're perfect...
Old 05-04-07 | 07:14 PM
2JZ_SC
Lead Lap

I just replaced all 4 shocks on my car (106k) and today the shock mounts are starting to making noise. Look at replacing the shock mounts at the same time.
Old 05-04-07 | 07:21 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
very true... I run -2.0 front, -2.6 rear and have no tire wear issues... the car has been that way for a while,and prior to that, it was -1.50/-1.75, since the tires were installed, which was almost 20k ago...
Mitsu, for some reason your car is looking lower than it was before, looks nice

What toe settings are you guys running?
Old 05-04-07 | 07:30 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

my toe is set out just a hair, although I don't remember exactly what I set it at...

I think the springs finally settled in - it was still a little high at first I thought as well...

Here within the next couple weeks I have to do rear upper control arm bushings, and at that time I'm going to re-do my alignment... a little more negative camber up front and everything else the same...
Old 05-05-07 | 07:06 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2JZ_SC
I just replaced all 4 shocks on my car (106k) and today the shock mounts are starting to making noise. Look at replacing the shock mounts at the same time.
My SC has 60k miles on it. When I swapped my shocks and springs, they speaked for about two weeks, getting progressively less obnxious day by day. They don't squeak at all anymore. I would have been upset if I would have had to replace the upper mounts on a 60k mile car.
Old 05-05-07 | 07:18 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

, they speaked for about two weeks, getting progressively less obnxious day by day.
What exactly did they say??
Old 05-05-07 | 07:19 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by mkorsu
What exactly did they say??
Probably "get your fat *** off me"
Old 05-05-07 | 07:34 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

My SC has 60k miles on it. When I swapped my shocks and springs, they speaked for about two weeks, getting progressively less obnxious day by day. They don't squeak at all anymore. I would have been upset if I would have had to replace the upper mounts on a 60k mile car.
180k mile car here - no squeaks from the shock mounts... it's imperative they get put back exactly as they were before...

they should settle in a little - it's probably the upper rubber isolator - takes a little time to seat in if not perferctly aligned when installed...

Quick Reply: Practicality?