Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need help with coilover install!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-07, 07:45 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need help with coilover install!

Alrighty so good lord please help...

Have my coil overs... Tein basics, i know not the best but good enough for my needs,

Ok, so i have dropped the original shock and spring set out, took a **** ton of work... lots of prying and what not...

Ok so i am able to get my new tein shock , and the new tein spring in... but NOT them together... is there anything i need to do that i am missing? i have already undone the brake line bracket and moved that out of the way, But i can not get the right angle to get them in... iv already tried compressing it, tried removing the strut tower bracket and all kinds of different combinations...

Heres some pics

If some one could help, im in the Atlanta area, i would even be willing to give out my phone number if you have done this before, Is there any secrets to this...?!
Old 05-06-07, 08:04 PM
chanh55
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is that the front? I think I had to remove the bolts from the sway bar. Try that...
Old 05-06-07, 08:04 PM
mrhappi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remove the long bolt holding the upper arm, so you can slide it aside. Then it'll be a bit easier.
Old 05-06-07, 08:10 PM
booja
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have to remove that long bolt holding that control arm...

and i also suggest you do both of the fronts at the same time

if you do one side then bolt it up the sway bar pulls on the other side and you wont be able to get the otherside in as easily... i did one side on mine, then tried to do the other. i had such a hard time... i had to go back and unbolt the top to let the suspension hang so there is slack to bolt up the other side
Old 05-06-07, 08:17 PM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

no you don't....
follow these instructions on this link..

http://garage.projectraine.com/

click on the pic above the spring install.. you are almost there. I didn't remove the control arm...

Last edited by bigmalik00; 05-06-07 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-06-07, 08:24 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 349 Likes on 225 Posts

Use the forum marked suspension pls.

Moved.
Old 05-07-07, 12:24 AM
Slinger
Pole Position

I had mine in and out about 3-4 times when putting them in.

You should detach the swaybar endlink (but I didn't on the last couple trys) and compress the shock by hand and it should fit like a glove.

Hope this and the other posts help a bit. GL my friend!
Old 05-07-07, 11:25 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by booja
you have to remove that long bolt holding that control arm...
Nooo. Thats just extra work. I installed my brothers Tein SS in a jiffy. Took me about 20 mins per side. All you have to do is have a helper with you. No need for compressing anything to install.

So what you want to do is carefully unbolt the sway bar endlink using and allen wrench and a 14mm open ended wrench( I think it was 14mm. Could be a 12mm). Removing that will let you drop the brake/rotor assembly a couple inches lower. Removing the brake line bracket was extra work also.

So next you will need your helper. Have your helper stand on top of the rotor and watch it go down. While the rotor assembly is down you want to try and slide the coilover in either from the bottom up or from the top down. If it gets stuck, no worries. Have your helper jump up and down has hard as he can while you try and push the coilover in and Voila!

This might be a savage way of doing it but it me some good times. About 20mins per side likitysplit.
Old 05-07-07, 12:25 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

assemble the strut first. its not going to do any good getting it in there without the spring on it.

I would say take off the control arm. It would take an extra 10 minutes and then extra 30 seconds to reinstall it from the other side. Once the control arm is off the strut goes right in. for an extra 10 minutes you dont need a helper.
Old 05-07-07, 02:38 PM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

ok JDM give us an update... I talk to you last night and you had the momentum....don't scare me
Old 05-07-07, 03:18 PM
93SC300.
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
Nooo. Thats just extra work. I installed my brothers Tein SS in a jiffy. Took me about 20 mins per side. All you have to do is have a helper with you. No need for compressing anything to install.

So what you want to do is carefully unbolt the sway bar endlink using and allen wrench and a 14mm open ended wrench( I think it was 14mm. Could be a 12mm). Removing that will let you drop the brake/rotor assembly a couple inches lower. Removing the brake line bracket was extra work also.

So next you will need your helper. Have your helper stand on top of the rotor and watch it go down. While the rotor assembly is down you want to try and slide the coilover in either from the bottom up or from the top down. If it gets stuck, no worries. Have your helper jump up and down has hard as he can while you try and push the coilover in and Voila!

This might be a savage way of doing it but it me some good times. About 20mins per side likitysplit.
lol this si exactly what i did. except my helper weighed 115 pounds lol. Yea it works. that and get a long pry bar. you wont hurt anything
Old 05-07-07, 07:58 PM
JohnnyB822
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 93SC300.
lol this si exactly what i did. except my helper weighed 115 pounds lol. Yea it works. that and get a long pry bar. you wont hurt anything
yea that exactly how i did mine eveytime with my lowering springs and coilovers. definitly the easies way
Old 05-07-07, 11:35 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Done deal ! finished thank you for the help all

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=280619